Limiting The Amount of Rack Stacking

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
owlymane

04 Jul 2019

Okay, so I wanted to open a topic about speeding up cable routing when having a lot of rack instruments. It'd be nice that the up/down scrolling, while holding a cable to place it somewhere, would speed up the longer the scroll (remember in Itunes how when there's a lot of music in your media, it was able to speed scroll the more you scroll down/up your list? Well that idea integrated to cable routing). I always find myself with a huge column and I don't have the reflex yet to place instruments in the next column :/

But then I thought, it could be a much better idea that Reason (or you, in the options) set a maximum number of instruments per column, and when you reach this limit, Reason automatically places the instruments you create in the next column.

Makes both cable routing and rack structure much more appealing and efficient.

What do you think ?

zoidkirb

04 Jul 2019

The variable speed scrolling is something I've wished for many times too.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

04 Jul 2019

owlymane wrote: ↑
04 Jul 2019
Okay, so I wanted to open a topic about speeding up cable routing when having a lot of rack instruments. It'd be nice that the up/down scrolling, while holding a cable to place it somewhere, would speed up the longer the scroll (remember in Itunes how when there's a lot of music in your media, it was able to speed scroll the more you scroll down/up your list? Well that idea integrated to cable routing). I always find myself with a huge column and I don't have the reflex yet to place instruments in the next column :/

But then I thought, it could be a much better idea that Reason (or you, in the options) set a maximum number of instruments per column, and when you reach this limit, Reason automatically places the instruments you create in the next column.

Makes both cable routing and rack structure much more appealing and efficient.

What do you think ?
Maybe some sort of key command. Alt click audio output on one device then click audio in on the device you want to connect. (I know Alt is already in use :) )
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

owlymane

04 Jul 2019

zoidkirb wrote: ↑
04 Jul 2019
The variable speed scrolling is something I've wished for many times too.
Haha me too! I can't count the number of times I find myself meditating cabling an instrument located at the bottom to another at the top πŸ˜‚

owlymane

04 Jul 2019

Maybe some sort of key command. Alt click audio output on one device then click audio in on the device you want to connect. (I know Alt is already in use :) )
I never say no to key commands. Always useful regardless! :D

PhillipOrdonez

04 Jul 2019

I've been using the right-click menu for routings the more complex the project gets.

owlymane

04 Jul 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote: ↑
04 Jul 2019
I've been using the right-click menu for routings the more complex the project gets.
This is a great way around it no doubt but since Reason's selling point is to visualize the analog world, setting a configurable structure could help tremendously in workflow!

joeyluck

04 Jul 2019

04 Jul 2019
Okay, so I wanted to open a topic about speeding up cable routing when having a lot of rack instruments. It'd be nice that the up/down scrolling, while holding a cable to place it somewhere, would speed up the longer the scroll
On my MacBook I just click and swipe with two fingers in any direction to move a cable connection as fast I'd like.

owlymane

04 Jul 2019

joeyluck wrote: ↑
04 Jul 2019

On my MacBook I just click and swipe with two fingers in any direction to move a cable connection as fast I'd like.
That's so cool, you can even side-scroll with two-fingers, come look at us windows users we look handicapped when we use it :D (SHIFT+two fingers UP to side-scroll...really Props??!!)

joeyluck

04 Jul 2019

04 Jul 2019
04 Jul 2019

That's so cool, you can even side-scroll with two-fingers, come look at us windows users we look handicapped when we use it :D (SHIFT+two fingers UP to side-scroll...really Props??!!)
Is that a Windows thing or Reason thing? Is there no trackpad or software to allow it?

owlymane

04 Jul 2019

04 Jul 2019
04 Jul 2019

Is that a Windows thing or Reason thing? Is there no trackpad or software to allow it?
Unfortunately it's a Reason (9.5 at least) thing. I have both Ableton 10 and FL 20 and in both I can side-scroll Mac-style on Windows. I don't understand that decision from them. It's reaallly annoying when you're drum programming in the sequencer some long patterns.. :?

esselfortium

04 Jul 2019

Being able to scroll faster in the rack would be a huge help.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

owlymane

04 Jul 2019

esselfortium wrote: ↑
04 Jul 2019
Being able to scroll faster in the rack would be a huge help.
I agree. R11 better be good lmao

I love Reason will never stop using it but ngl I'm exploring the worlds of Ableton and FL and man do they have sooo much quality of life improvements in their workflow. That's all Reason should focus on. workflow workflow workflow :D

joeyluck

04 Jul 2019

04 Jul 2019
04 Jul 2019

Unfortunately it's a Reason (9.5 at least) thing. I have both Ableton 10 and FL 20 and in both I can side-scroll Mac-style on Windows. I don't understand that decision from them. It's reaallly annoying when you're drum programming in the sequencer some long patterns.. :?
Aside from direction, do you also not have control over speed on Windows? Anything like inertia scrolling on Mac?

owlymane

04 Jul 2019

04 Jul 2019
04 Jul 2019

Aside from direction, do you also not have control over speed on Windows? Anything like inertia scrolling on Mac?
You mean for the trackpad and mouse? cursor speed? You can adjust the speed of your cursor and you have some trackpad options that you can configure, which are really becoming similar to Macs : 4-finger scroll down to get to desktop, 4 left/right to switch apps (aesthetically cannot be compared to the flawless motion of macs, but hey, at least Windows understood the quality of life improvements)

esselfortium

04 Jul 2019

04 Jul 2019
04 Jul 2019

I can't even do this on my Mac, not in Reason at least. Maybe if I had a trackpad. It doesn't seem to be a problem in other programs though.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

joeyluck

04 Jul 2019

esselfortium wrote: ↑
04 Jul 2019
04 Jul 2019

I can't even do this on my Mac, not in Reason at least. Maybe if I had a trackpad. It doesn't seem to be a problem in other programs though.
Yeah this is with a trackpad. I haven't used a mouse in a very long time, but I imagine the magic mouse can do the same?

• Information