Link FX parameters between multiple instances of a device

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
RealReasonHead

21 Jun 2019

Sometimes I need to have the same settings on multiple instances of an effect device. For example, when working with vocals and harmonies I sometimes like to have the same type and amount of compression on all the different tracks but don't want to use a mix bus (since when there's just the lead vocal without any harmonies, the compressor wouldn't work as hard as when there are harmonies, changing the tone/feel of the vocal). In that case I need to copy all the devices individually and reroute them. When I change the settings on one of the tracks I need to manually adjust them on the others as well.
Or when having multiple parts of a lead vocal overlap and using Neptune as autotune, the overlapping parts understandably confuse Neptune as the input signal is suddenly polyphonic. So I have to use individual Neptune's on each track and if I want the autotune to be faster or add vibrato, I have to go to each individual instance and change it by hand.

I'd like to have the option to link the parameters of multiple instances of a device (like a compressor) so I only ever need to adjust one and the other ones automatically use the same settings.

artotaku

21 Jun 2019

To a certain degree you can do that if you put all of the Neptune instances into a combinator and asign combinator knobs/buttons to the same controls of each Neptune instance in the combinator programming matrix.

RealReasonHead

21 Jun 2019

Good point. But sometimes the FX chains are a lot longer and I'd need more than 4 knobs and 4 buttons + setting that combinator up is a hassle in and of itself.

artotaku

21 Jun 2019

RealReasonHead wrote:
21 Jun 2019
Good point. But sometimes the FX chains are a lot longer and I'd need more than 4 knobs and 4 buttons + setting that combinator up is a hassle in and of itself.
That´s true. There is another, more complicated way using Advanced MIDI, EMI, a virtual loopback MIDI driver and a RE like Hamu´s Newtrol to have more than 8 controls (see viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7512695)

Ofc this is even more a hassle to setup :-)

Regarding the combinator solution: If you have a longer FX chain you could group the same devices in a combinator and use a Hamu´s Newtrol its CV outs connected to the CV ins of all your combinators. Anyway, this is also a hassle to setup.

RealReasonHead

21 Jun 2019

Yeah. Theoretically, I could also just use multiple combinators, couldn't I? For every type of FX one instance and just route like crazy.

artotaku

21 Jun 2019

RealReasonHead wrote:
21 Jun 2019
Yeah. Theoretically, I could also just use multiple combinators, couldn't I? For every type of FX one instance and just route like crazy.
Yes, since you can route audio cables independently when a device is inside a combinator, your FX chain would be kept intact. The combinator has 8 CV ins (set combinator rotaries to 0 so it does not merge the signals) which could be enough for one type of FX device, e. g. Neptune).

Also, if an FX device itself has CV IN connections to control a parameter you can even have more or can skip the combinator. Instead you would "spread" the CV signals to your FX devices by using a CV splitter.

Still, it´s a lot of cabling...

• Information