List your ideas for "easy" upgrades to current modules

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Spaceship
Posts: 54
Joined: 11 May 2019

Post 06 Jun 2019

This is a list of features that could be added to current modules, while still maintaining backwards compatibility.
I'm sure PH have reasons for not including some of these, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Feel free to add your own ideas.

Audiomatic - Add a noise generator output.

The Echo - Add CV outputs for its internal modulators (LFO and Envelope)

Europa - Add individual outputs for its oscillators, audio inputs, and the ability to use audio sources as modulators in the mod matrix.

Klang, Pangea, Humana - Add envelope outputs.

Monotone - Add outputs for the LFO, envelopes, oscillators, and noise generator.

Pulveriser - Add a CV input to modulate the Blend parameter. Add an additional CV output to take advantage of the Tremor's spread feature.

Redrum - Add the ability to copy a pattern's steps 1 - 16 to steps 17 - 64. Add CV inputs for volume modulation.

Rytmik - Add the ability to load custom samples.

Thor - Add multiple pages to the mod matrix.

VST module - Add the ability to label inputs and outputs. Add macro knobs.

"Easy" new modules:

Spider CV processor - A module in the style of the Spider CV Merger and Splitter with CV processing functions such as Invert, rectify, multiply, quantize, and slew.

Redrum Sequencer - The gate sequencer from Redrum broken out into its own module.

Thor Sequencer - The sequencer from Thor broken out into its own module.
Last edited by Spaceship on 15 Jun 2019, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 7574
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 06 Jun 2019

I am with you with a few things, and would go here and there in a bit different direction, like The Echo needs more CV inputs to control the parameters and Audiomatic does not need Noise, because Thor has plenty of Noise options. Also the Spider has an invert function.

Nevertheless, there are a few things which could easily revalue a few devices with a bit of effort.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

scratchnsnifff
Posts: 1419
Joined: 21 Sep 2016

Post 11 Jun 2019

Spaceship wrote:
06 Jun 2019
This is a list of features that could be added to current modules, while still maintaining backwards compatibility.
I'm sure PH have reasons for not including some of these, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Feel free to add your own ideas.

Audiomatic - Add a noise generator output.

The Echo - Add CV outputs for its internal modulators (LFO and Envelope)

Europa - Add individual outputs for its oscillators, audio inputs, and the ability to use audio sources as modulators in the mod matrix.

Klang, Pangea, Humana - Add envelope outputs.

Monotone - Add outputs for the LFO, envelopes, oscillators, and noise generator.

Pulveriser - Add a CV input to modulate the Blend parameter. Add an additional CV output to take advantage of the Tremor's spread feature.

Redrum - Add the ability to copy a pattern's steps 1 - 16 to steps 17 - 64. Add CV inputs for volume modulation.

Rytmik - Add the ability to load custom samples.

Thor - Add multiple pages to the mod matrix.

VST module - Add the ability to label inputs and outputs. Add macro knobs.

"Easy" new modules:

Spider CV processor - A module in the style of the Spider CV Merger and Splitter with CV processing functions such as Invert, rectify, multiply, quantize, and slew.

Redrum Sequencer - The gate sequencer from Redrum broken out into its own module.

Thor Sequencer - The sequencer from Thor broken out into its own module.
Combinator- more matrix slots!

Europa- global spectral filter
Currently it only analyzes the one oscillator at a time. Perhaps it’s possible to analyze and shape all 3 at once.

Scream 4- a few extra distortion modes. But honestly I think it makes more sense for them to just make a waveshaper with drawable XY curves

Thor- more wavetables or oscillators
Even new filters are doable

There is a lot of proof that stuff can be added without breaking backwards compatibility. But in my opinion I can’t remember the last time I opened a Reason 5 project. Or even a reason 8 project. It’s all quite pointless (in my case) when Reason 10 and beyond has more and more.
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Spaceship
Posts: 54
Joined: 11 May 2019

Post 15 Jun 2019

I thought the noise output from Audiomatic was an interesting idea because it seems there are some nice crackle and hiss generators inside, but I agree it’s not a big deal.

I like the idea for extra oscillator and filter modules in Thor. That would be a really awesome addition.

User avatar
tt_lab
Posts: 303
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 16 Jun 2019

Spectrum analizer in masterSuite Eq + more Bands
I hope at some point they do MClass 2.0 with new devices to acompany actual MClass
And updates in 20yearold halfrack fx
It's a pitty that almost all included FX are so old.
Image
Image

dezma
Posts: 225
Joined: 02 Jun 2015

Post 19 Jun 2019

Thor > stereo spread of (unison) osc's

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 7574
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 19 Jun 2019

dezma wrote:
19 Jun 2019
Thor > stereo spread of (unison) osc's
Do you mean, Thor needs a unison mode?

If you want to spread existing oscillators, just do it.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
dioxide
Posts: 1252
Joined: 15 Jul 2015

Post 19 Jun 2019

Spin all of the Kong insert effects into a range of single function 1u rack modules. Maybe Thor filters too.

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 7574
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 19 Jun 2019

dioxide wrote:
19 Jun 2019
Spin all of the Kong insert effects into a range of single function 1u rack modules. Maybe Thor filters too.
+1 I would love to see the RingMod from Kong with a few additions, more controls and CV in as a separated unit. Or just think of the synth modules from Kong as "playable" all over the keyboard...
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

Spaceship
Posts: 54
Joined: 11 May 2019

Post 19 Jun 2019

Speaking of Kong, an additional echo effect with tempo syncing would be useful.

dezma
Posts: 225
Joined: 02 Jun 2015

Post 19 Jun 2019

Loque wrote:
19 Jun 2019
dezma wrote:
19 Jun 2019
Thor > stereo spread of (unison) osc's
Do you mean, Thor needs a unison mode?

If you want to spread existing oscillators, just do it.
Not sure what you mean? Thor has multiosc so that's OK. I mean the multi-oscs need to be spread over the stereofield and afaik there no out of the box way to do this.

So in older reason versions, when you want a big sound I needed to duplicate my thor device and route it into a mini mixer with panning hard left (synth1) and hard right (synth2). Then came rack extensions and eg antidote has this nicely implemented.

I think props had it the first time in parsec, and Europa also has it implemented now in the unison.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 2235
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 19 Jun 2019

to whoever said ART couldn’t benefit from a noise option because Thor already can generate noise—you are wrong, and you are probably a bad person*.

who wants to open up a giant-ass Thor unit to fudge around with when all they want is some noise? Thor’s fine as a synth, and it can obviously do a lot of other stuff, but it’s ugly and unwieldy, if you’ve neither the time nor inclination to learn it—I would much rather use just about anything else if I can help it, in pretty much any scenario. shouldn’t have to RTFM to figure out how to use a Thor just to generate some noise that could (should) be easily achieved in another simpler stock device. ART would be a natural fit.

sorry for the rant, I just can’t stand the “just use Thor” one-size-fits-all solution. 😆

*you’re not a bad person

Spaceship
Posts: 54
Joined: 11 May 2019

Post 19 Jun 2019

I don’t think anyone would be mad to see any of these options added. Some people just don’t want to be greedy asking for frivolous things when there are improvements that are actually needed.

Although an extra noise output here and there would be welcomed, it wouldn’t make sense unless it came after a large list of other upgrades. It’s something I would like to see, but I understand if the developers dont make it a high priority.

That being said, I guess you are thinking in the same utopian way I have been. I hope the Propellerheads will come through on some of these things for us, no matter how “frivolous.”
Last edited by Spaceship on 19 Jun 2019, edited 4 times in total.

Spaceship
Posts: 54
Joined: 11 May 2019

Post 19 Jun 2019

dezma wrote:
19 Jun 2019
Thor > stereo spread of (unison) osc's
Panning of individual oscillators? That would be cool. The GUI wouldn’t need to be changed if it was just a new destination in the mod matrix.

josiah
Posts: 14
Joined: 09 Jun 2019

Post 19 Jun 2019

Nurse Rex / Dr Octo Rex loads wav files (automatically rexing them behind the scenes)

Spaceship
Posts: 54
Joined: 11 May 2019

Post 19 Jun 2019

guitfnky wrote:
19 Jun 2019
who wants to open up a giant-ass Thor unit to fudge around with when all they want is some noise?

A whole new noise generator module could be very interesting.

Spaceship
Posts: 54
Joined: 11 May 2019

Post 19 Jun 2019

josiah wrote:
19 Jun 2019
Nurse Rex / Dr Octo Rex loads wav files (automatically rexing them behind the scenes)
Yes this would be great. It could make up for the lack of a threshold control for transient detection when making Rex files.

dezma
Posts: 225
Joined: 02 Jun 2015

Post 20 Jun 2019

Spaceship wrote:
19 Jun 2019
dezma wrote:
19 Jun 2019
Thor > stereo spread of (unison) osc's
Panning of individual oscillators? That would be cool. The GUI wouldn’t need to be changed if it was just a new destination in the mod matrix.
Actually these are two different things and not a lot of synths seem to have the flexibility to do both.

Stereo spreading of unison osc's (like europa) > this would need to be an extra button on the multiosc "block"
Panning of separate osc's. While most synths offer a general panning after the mix, very few offer panning of osc's before they go in the mixer.

Avenger VST is one of the very few synths I know that implements both because of it's extreme flexibility (in the osc panel, you determine the stereo spread of unisono sounds, and you can route indiviual osc's to one of the 4 amp's with individual panning settings.

Just make a 1 osc unisono sound with thor and the same 1 osc sound with antidote (with antidote spread turned up)
Thor will sound like crap in a stereo system, while antidote will sound good. Unisono sounds NEED a spread button, otherwise it is poorly implemented.

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 3455
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 13 Dec 2019

tt_lab wrote:
16 Jun 2019
Spectrum analizer in masterSuite Eq + more Bands
I hope at some point they do MClass 2.0 with new devices to acompany actual MClass
And updates in 20yearold halfrack fx
It's a pitty that almost all included FX are so old.
Image
Image
Yeah and all the half rack effects at the top are mono devices too aren't they? well the DDL and RV7 are that I know of.
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 11.3 / Cockus Reaper 6.12 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Pro Tools First / Steinberg Cubase LE 5
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 3455
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 13 Dec 2019

Spaceship wrote:
06 Jun 2019

Thor- more wavetables or oscillators
Add a Sub-Oscillator to the oscillator types + NN-Nano and Nurse Rex, possibly Malstrom but that would kind of make Malstrom un-unique to have it there as well, dunno. Ctrl click and drag an oscillator from one slot to another too (copy and paste) and a switch to switch the Filter and Amp Envelopes from Linear to Exponential and more FX. Reverb, Flanging, Phasing, EQ, Compression, Exciter, Unison Voice Spread. I notice there isn't a downwards ramp LFO shape either so that + possibly more shapes. More Wavetables for the Wavetable Oscillator too.
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 11.3 / Cockus Reaper 6.12 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Pro Tools First / Steinberg Cubase LE 5
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
Safe Radiation
Posts: 9
Joined: 07 Sep 2018

Post 29 Dec 2019

It took me years and Years to figure out how Thor worked, and even to this day there are parts I do not fully understand.

The Thor is no doubt brilliant, but is getting a bit long in the tooth.

I would like to see it fragmented, Made into seperate modules that you can pull in what you want, and not what you dont !

That way if you wanted more than 3 Oscillator’s, or LFO’s Filters, etc. You could custom build your own personalised synth/effects unit. Chaining modules in the order you wanted, displayed in a logical way so top down was the order!
Pick click and move as required!

Complex-1 is kind-of there, but is to be honest a mess visually. You can not see the wood for the trees. There is so much in your face its bewildering.

Having your own step by step custom synth, would make a lot of sense from beginners to seasoned wiring guru’s. Build it as you need, and no more!

Give it good clear line in, and out, so your custom unit can be stuck into any sound line.
CV’s at back for all controls, and with better thought as to where wires hang ( Perhaps introduce wires that ghost over a socket if covered, but are full colour the rest of the way ! )

Probably keep Thor as it is just for old times sake, But its time we had a set of Thor’s children, so we can play with building blocks and make What ever we wanted.

Lets face it all the synths are sort of the same, just some do this and some do that.

So its :
OSC”s
LFO’s
Filters
Noise,
Shaper
Mixer
Delay
Grains
Chorus
Envelopes
Etc etc etc.

All neatly nesting together like LEGO

Thogo
From :reason: 4 onward :puf_smile:

Steedus
Posts: 363
Joined: 31 Aug 2015

Post 30 Dec 2019

ART - Vinyl setting - I have other devices for this kind of effect now, but for convenience's sake add a hi-pass filter option. Most of the time I just want the crackle but without the rumble.

Redrum - Add a 'mono' switch for forcing stereo samples to mono.

Rytmik - Add ability to load custom samples. (already been said but surely this is a no-brainer)

User avatar
Re8et
Posts: 822
Joined: 14 Nov 2016

Post 30 Dec 2019

I would like to see copy - paste of patterns in the Drum player

chaosroyale
Posts: 390
Joined: 05 Sep 2017

Post 04 Jan 2020

Although I am a hardcore supporter of the "need to update the core devices" faction, a lot of user requests need a heavy dose of reality about how this would work.

There is no sense in adding features directly to the old half-rack and pre-RE devices, you would just get a state-of-the-art-for-2002 device. Better to let them die and replace them with new devices that take over their job (this is already happening with things like the new quartet and sweep).

Likewise, "update" the MClass by simply replacing all the devices as RE's which cover the original feature set for ease of use, but with extended modern features.

The biggie is obviously the combinator V2. And my personal bugbear is Scream4 and the NN-XT, both of which were the best devices of 2003 but have needed a V2 for ten years. Put the old ones in a legacy folder and make new RE versions which fix their deficincies.

I doubt they will add any advanced functionality to the toy instruments like rytmik and humana, and just as well, because it would be a waste of time and money. Nobody buys Reason because they want advanced CV on their glorified mobile phone app.

Finally, it pays to think about the technical possibility of any feature you "wish" existed. For example, Europa cannot process audio in for reasons fundamental to how its spectral filter works.

Interestingly one of my "easy" requests did make it into R11 during the beta testing - the wet/dry mix on the SSL rack compressor.

scratchnsnifff
Posts: 1419
Joined: 21 Sep 2016

Post 11 Jan 2020

Spaceship wrote:
06 Jun 2019
This is a list of features that could be added to current modules, while still maintaining backwards compatibility.
I'm sure PH have reasons for not including some of these, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Feel free to add your own ideas.

Audiomatic - Add a noise generator output.

The Echo - Add CV outputs for its internal modulators (LFO and Envelope)

Europa - Add individual outputs for its oscillators, audio inputs, and the ability to use audio sources as modulators in the mod matrix.

Klang, Pangea, Humana - Add envelope outputs.

Monotone - Add outputs for the LFO, envelopes, oscillators, and noise generator.

Pulveriser - Add a CV input to modulate the Blend parameter. Add an additional CV output to take advantage of the Tremor's spread feature.

Redrum - Add the ability to copy a pattern's steps 1 - 16 to steps 17 - 64. Add CV inputs for volume modulation.

Rytmik - Add the ability to load custom samples.

Thor - Add multiple pages to the mod matrix.

VST module - Add the ability to label inputs and outputs. Add macro knobs.

"Easy" new modules:

Spider CV processor - A module in the style of the Spider CV Merger and Splitter with CV processing functions such as Invert, rectify, multiply, quantize, and slew.

Redrum Sequencer - The gate sequencer from Redrum broken out into its own module.

Thor Sequencer - The sequencer from Thor broken out into its own module.

Thor- user wavetable oscillator
Grain table oscillator (grain oscillator)
Sample oscillator
New filters

Europa- more wavetables
Bend + and bend minus modifiers
Global spectral filter option
Copy paste between oscillators

Scream 4- a new distortion module or wave shaper algorithms
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests