Instrument Sampler + Recycle

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Jackjackdaw

17 Mar 2019

I love the built in samplers for instruments. I do a lot of resampling of synths etc. But the sampler window is very bare bones, looks like an afterthought.

My earth shattering, ground breaking suggestion is to revamp it and combine it with a new version of ReCycle. Sample and slice in one device!

The Rex format will die if it doesn't get some innovation.

Only a crazy person is going to fork out $99 For ReCycle. It hasn't seen an update since 2012!

soroc sosta

17 Mar 2019

+1
Better sampler audio editor for sure :(

terra32h

17 Mar 2019

YES!

QVprod

17 Mar 2019

To be fair, the sequencer does this so well, there's no longer a real need for Recycle unless you're making rex loops to sell. Time stretching/ slicing within the sampler itself would be convenient though.

botnotbot

18 Mar 2019

QVprod wrote:
17 Mar 2019
To be fair, the sequencer does this so well, there's no longer a real need for Recycle unless you're making rex loops to sell. Time stretching/ slicing within the sampler itself would be convenient though.
The lack of threshold control makes it much more annoying to use.

I am one of the crazies that dropped the money for Recycle recently. I am dealing with REXing up spoken dialog and the lack of threshold makes the built in Reason support useless for that task.

Jackjackdaw

18 Mar 2019

botnotbot wrote:
18 Mar 2019

I am one of the crazies that dropped the money for Recycle recently. I am dealing with REXing up spoken dialog and the lack of threshold makes the built in Reason support useless for that task.
That sounds like an interesting project! I'd love to hear the results.

Obviously the bounce to rex function makes ReCycle pretty obsolete. But the threshold control is a big omission . I like to be able to do all my sound design in the rack. And use the sequencer just for recording tracks. It bugs me when i have an arrangement going on and then I need a scruffy extra lane for chopping up samples in.

I dream of a built in ReCycle device or RE that you could sample directly into, set threshold, slice to Kong pads, modulate everything directly. Basicly the MPC 2.0 software Propellerhead style. 😉

Wook

18 Mar 2019

Reason 13, maybe? That's 2022-2023. Take a look at Ableton. It's sample manipulation is much superior to Reason. Well, that's not much of a challenge, really. Reason is just bad.

QVprod

18 Mar 2019

botnotbot wrote:
18 Mar 2019
QVprod wrote:
17 Mar 2019

You can erase and place slice markers at will in the sequencer so the sensitivity thing doesn't bother me. I'm sure there are occasions where an auto slice is useful but whether or not that's worth $99 for that function alone... for most uses, i'd say probably not.
Jackjackdaw wrote:
18 Mar 2019

Obviously the bounce to rex function makes ReCycle pretty obsolete. But the threshold control is a big omission . I like to be able to do all my sound design in the rack. And use the sequencer just for recording tracks. It bugs me when i have an arrangement going on and then I need a scruffy extra lane for chopping up samples in.
It might be worth considering using blocks for the sample chopping. This way it's independent of the rest of the sequence. Not the same as being within the actual sampler window but a bit cleaner to look at imo.

botnotbot

18 Mar 2019

QVprod wrote:
18 Mar 2019
botnotbot wrote:
18 Mar 2019

You can erase and place slice markers at will in the sequencer so the sensitivity thing doesn't bother me. I'm sure there are occasions where an auto slice is useful but whether or not that's worth $99 for that function alone... for most uses, i'd say probably not.
Jackjackdaw wrote:
18 Mar 2019

It might be worth considering using blocks for the sample chopping. This way it's independent of the rest of the sequence. Not the same as being within the actual sampler window but a bit cleaner to look at imo.
Agreed on the Blocks.

Regarding manually deleting those unbelievably fiddle markers, there is no comparison between dialing a knob and manually deleting dozens or hundreds of markers, per Rex file.

Not saying it is worth it for everyone, but my time and sanity is worth more than the cost of Recycle.

botnotbot

18 Mar 2019

Jackjackdaw wrote:
18 Mar 2019
botnotbot wrote:
18 Mar 2019

That sounds like an interesting project! I'd love to hear the results.
Thanks for your interest! At least one of the results will be available publicly, probably more. Might even make its way into a free RE but for sure there will be a Kontakt instrument.

Also, I totally feel you on where you would like to see sampling in Reason evolve to.

• Information