Rack extension development kit for everyone

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
The Prezenz

15 Feb 2019

Hey guys,

I would like to see this being realised as Ableton has a similar appraoch with max 4 live.

It would be awesome to create your own RE and share or sell them. This will not only help the RE format but as Reason has currently a lot of things to improve, why can't we, the users, help with that as well?

What do you guys think?

Jagwah

15 Feb 2019

The Prezenz wrote:
15 Feb 2019
Hey guys,

I would like to see this being realised as Ableton has a similar appraoch with max 4 live.

It would be awesome to create your own RE and share or sell them. This will not only help the RE format but as Reason has currently a lot of things to improve, why can't we, the users, help with that as well?

What do you guys think?
It's already open to everyone :)

https://www.propellerheads.com/developers

The Prezenz

15 Feb 2019

Thanks!
I didn't knew that you didn't need a company after all. Sweet!

guitfnky

15 Feb 2019

it’s great that it’s open for everyone, but it’s much more difficult to do (IMO) than PH suggests. they make it seem like it’s pretty easy to get started with the documentation you’ll have access to. that was definitely not my experience.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

The Prezenz

16 Feb 2019

guitfnky wrote:
15 Feb 2019
it’s great that it’s open for everyone, but it’s much more difficult to do (IMO) than PH suggests. they make it seem like it’s pretty easy to get started with the documentation you’ll have access to. that was definitely not my experience.
Does it has some kind of templates? Why is a reversed domain necessary? This is not the case with max 4 live.

Does anyone has a downloadlink? I want to go straight to it without all this paperwork.

Oenkenstein
RE Developer

16 Feb 2019

The Prezenz wrote:
16 Feb 2019
guitfnky wrote:
15 Feb 2019
Does it has some kind of templates? Why is a reversed domain necessary? This is not the case with max 4 live.

Does anyone has a downloadlink? I want to go straight to it without all this paperwork.
The domain is necessary for issues like keeping track on build versions and Remote.
You can start with a free Wordpress domain, but as things become more serious like actually selling Rack Extensions or Refills it is wise to have your own website with an exclusive domain name.

The download link to the SDK's and documentation will be accessible once your registration as a company has been accepted by the Props.
You can not build and sell products without paperwork.

The Prezenz

16 Feb 2019

Mmm, can it be compared with max 4 live? With templates? Or is it more coding?

Jagwah

16 Feb 2019

Yeah so you do need to be a company but that shouldn't be too hard if you really want to do it.

I always wanted access to the fancy developer forum but apparently it's not too interesting, just devs doing their RE thing, probably lots of ones and zeros and abacuses for counting them.

Oenkenstein
RE Developer

16 Feb 2019

The Prezenz wrote:
16 Feb 2019
Mmm, can it be compared with max 4 live? With templates? Or is it more coding?
That is hard to answer as I do not use or know Max 4 Life, but the developers kit comes with example projects, which can be used as a template. You need to invest time though, to understand the examples. They give an insight in how to write code and make a GUI.

I hope you will go through the paperwork and download the dev kit. Only then you can make up your mind whether building Rack Extensions is really something for you.

pongasoft
RE Developer

16 Feb 2019

The Prezenz wrote:
15 Feb 2019
Thanks!
I didn't knew that you didn't need a company after all. Sweet!
No you DO need to be a company to register which is a serious barrier for most.

Yan

rcbuse
RE Developer

16 Feb 2019

pongasoft wrote:
16 Feb 2019

From https://www.propellerheads.se/developer

Who can sign up?

Anyone can register as a developer, but only companies can sell Rack Extensions or ReFills in the Propellerhead Shop.
The requirements for selling products in our shop are:

You need a company with some sort of Tax ID, being a sole proprietor is sufficient as long as you are registered for VAT.
You need a website.
You need an email address where customer can get product support.
This means each developer will sign up for a user account and then apply to register a new company.
If you don’t have a company yet, you can put your own name in the company name field.

If you want to be included in a previously registered company, send an email to that company and ask them to add you as a developer.

There are no costs involved. Propellerhead Software will administer the authorization, copyrights, logos, and trademarks.
We’ll also provide technical support, free of charge.

pongasoft
RE Developer

16 Feb 2019

rcbuse wrote:
16 Feb 2019
pongasoft wrote:
16 Feb 2019

From https://www.propellerheads.se/developer

Who can sign up?

Anyone can register as a developer, but only companies can sell Rack Extensions or ReFills in the Propellerhead Shop.
The requirements for selling products in our shop are:

You need a company with some sort of Tax ID, being a sole proprietor is sufficient as long as you are registered for VAT.
You need a website.
You need an email address where customer can get product support.
This means each developer will sign up for a user account and then apply to register a new company.
If you don’t have a company yet, you can put your own name in the company name field.

If you want to be included in a previously registered company, send an email to that company and ask them to add you as a developer.

There are no costs involved. Propellerhead Software will administer the authorization, copyrights, logos, and trademarks.
We’ll also provide technical support, free of charge.
Ok my bad... I guess the big red button stating "Register your company" comes with an explanation that you had to scroll to see... This has certainly changed since when I had to create a company (I even exchanged emails with support at the time...). That being said, although they say only companies can sell RE, it is not clear if they allow "selling" for free (ex: my products).

Yan

The Prezenz

16 Feb 2019

[/quote]
I hope you will go through the paperwork and download the dev kit. Only then you can make up your mind whether building Rack Extensions is really something for you.
[/quote]

Well no. First I want to mess a bit first before I start doing paperwork. I just wanna see how hard it is to make a rack extension. That's why I suggest that propellerhead could implement something like max 4 live but for RE. No barriers at all.

• Information