Reason device ideas

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
scratchnsnifff

14 Nov 2018

I wanted to share some ideas I had regarding synth/utility ideas

1. An addition to the spider series of devices
A XY pad that can be used for blending audio signals and it would have various crossfade methods. A tool that can be used for simple wavetable creation

2. A grain/Europa MSEG with multiple banks. Picture the Europa envelopes. Now imagine that each envelope could have the option of running at audio rate.
The device would need basic controls and could just be paired with other Reason devices like filters effects and other utilities. Also just so it has a trick up it’s sleeve. There could be a knob that adjusts the width of certain segments. So users could make their own phase distortions in real time.
Maybe there could also be a setting to cross fade from one section to the next :D

3. A filter unit that has effects as filters.
Serum kind of does this, and there are only a few devices in RE form that gave this concept. Off the top of my head I can only think of blamsofts F-16 and all their devices with the phase filter. Or how nostromo has various peak filters and the allpass filter

Or they could even do what many have done, and model a bunch of filters after classic synthesizers (ms20, moogs ladder filter, 303, etc)

The concept I was thinking of was, what could be added to reasons devices to bring out the CV maddens in the rack.
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Loque

14 Nov 2018

Man... I have no idea. I am pretty settled with everything...Sound wise... Maybe a bit more creative stuff like a picture to sound thing, but i am already eyeing a few things... Or some other spectral modifiers with modulation capabilities. Something new to create unusual sounds... New sounds...
Reason12, Win10

scratchnsnifff

15 Nov 2018

Loque wrote:
14 Nov 2018
Man... I have no idea. I am pretty settled with everything...Sound wise... Maybe a bit more creative stuff like a picture to sound thing, but i am already eyeing a few things... Or some other spectral modifiers with modulation capabilities. Something new to create unusual sounds... New sounds...
Sure there are enough options as is. But some users like myself like the older style updates that included synths and effects :)

I just think that making two little devices like that would t take that much time. I wish they did what FL studio does. I believe I heard that they add at least one synth and effect with each big update. Alongside some other staple features

My main want at the moment is Europa oscillator FM and a bend phase distortion. Like the one inside of massive and serum

But at the same time, I feel like if they were to add a new phase distortion type, it almost makes more sense to slap an XY graph and just let the user design their own like in serum

Idk why Reason synths don’t ever have a phase distortion type of thing
Sure there’s quad and expanse, rob papen synths symmetry knobs essentially does the same effect, but if Thor had a feature like that, it would open up such a large world. When you have an FM patch using two stagnant waveforms, then use a phase distortion of any kind on it. It turns one sound into a possible 100+ variations. Idk I guess it’s just one little thing missing in this platform :) my favorite part about Bend modes is that you can make dubstep sounds just by taking a wavetable with distortion and throw a LFO on the bend amount
It’s actually pretty fun

Loque

15 Nov 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
15 Nov 2018
Loque wrote:
14 Nov 2018
Sure there are enough options as is. But some users like myself like the older style updates that included synths and effects :)

I just think that making two little devices like that would t take that much time. I wish they did what FL studio does. I believe I heard that they add at least one synth and effect with each big update. Alongside some other staple features

My main want at the moment is Europa oscillator FM and a bend phase distortion. Like the one inside of massive and serum

But at the same time, I feel like if they were to add a new phase distortion type, it almost makes more sense to slap an XY graph and just let the user design their own like in serum

Sure there’s quad and expanse, rob papen synths symmetry knobs essentially does the same effect, but if Thor had a feature like that, it would open up such a large world. When you have an FM patch using two stagnant waveforms, then use a phase distortion of any kind on it. It turns one sound into a possible 100+ variations. Idk I guess it’s just one little thing missing in this platform :) my favorite part about Bend modes is that you can make dubstep sounds just by taking a wavetable with distortion and throw a LFO on the bend amount
It’s actually pretty fun
I thought Europa has a Phase Bend modulation :?

And i agree to the FM part for Europa, and add AM/RM too and some additive stuff and increase the number of mod matrix slots, add cv to the back, add an audio in for more AM/RM/FM/PWM, add more samples and let me inter-modulate them, more envelopes so i can have a few own filters AND oscillators...ok, i have a list of features i want to see...always... I wish most synths would have those features, but as soon as i have a synth, that has all that and maybe more, i do not need other synths.

Man...i wish i could combine all the features i have in all synths like eXpanse, Spectra, Grain, Europa, PX7, Zero, Noxius...and than chose the filters and stuff i want, like i really like the filter of The Legend and SAW-1, where Spectra offers something special too and those filters in Europa...dude...incredible what sounds can be created that way. And add a bunch of slots like Nostromo to the mod matrix and the sound comes to live!
Reason12, Win10

scratchnsnifff

15 Nov 2018

Loque wrote:
15 Nov 2018
scratchnsnifff wrote:
15 Nov 2018

It’s actually pretty fun
I thought Europa has a Phase Bend modulation :?

And i agree to the FM part for Europa, and add AM/RM too and some additive stuff and increase the number of mod matrix slots, add cv to the back, add an audio in for more AM/RM/FM/PWM, add more samples and let me inter-modulate them, more envelopes so i can have a few own filters AND oscillators...ok, i have a list of features i want to see...always... I wish most synths would have those features, but as soon as i have a synth, that has all that and maybe more, i do not need other synths.

Man...i wish i could combine all the features i have in all synths like eXpanse, Spectra, Grain, Europa, PX7, Zero, Noxius...and than chose the filters and stuff i want, like i really like the filter of The Legend and SAW-1, where Spectra offers something special too and those filters in Europa...dude...incredible what sounds can be created that way. And add a bunch of slots like Nostromo to the mod matrix and the sound comes to live!

Definitely some great ideas :)
The way I see it, if reason makes a new flagship synth. It should what the previous one did, but with even more wow factor.

I guess I just think of Thor as my standard comparison. But even though I wish they would add to Thor, I think it makes more sense to add to Europa. Because it’s about 90% of the way to being an ultimate one stop shop. That might not be the idea behind Europa, I think Europa is suppose to be reasons modernized take on a bread and butter synth.

Either way, at least add FM :D
(The gate triggering on the amp and filter env is welcomed as well)

• Information