Browse by plugin format and by subcategory. Also Favorites subgrouping and choice of icons.

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
joeyluck

07 Oct 2018

These suggestions come up here and there and thought I'd make a mockup of what it could look like...

It would be handy to be able to browse by subcategory (via assignments and tags given in the shop and perhaps user definable). I'm not sure what is defined on the VST level as far as subcategories, so I'm not sure what would be necessary to accommodate that. Also, to be able to select and deselect which plugin formats show in the Browser would be nice.

This example shows a couple buttons for selecting whether RE or VST or both are shown. It uses available space. I assume Reason devices would show all the time and are displayed at the top of each list anyways which are collapsable. But I guess a button could be given to them as well.

It adds the ability to show all subcategories and to hide. And you could of course still browse by the main category. The subcategories shown for Effects in the mockup is just as an example. Of course there can be more categories like chorus, phaser, or just 'modulated.' Also, 'compression' would have been more appropriate and consistent. But it's just an example.

I've been using favorite lists, but it's a bit tedious. There is no management of favorites grouping and thus, no collapsing of favorites groups, so it can be lots of scrolling. So it would be great to be able to create Favorites groups.

All favorites icons are the same. It would be nice to at least be able to choose from the icons given to instruments, effects, etc. Perhaps adding more flexibility to how favorites can be created and organized helps to alleviate the need for the other ways to browse. Or might be great to have both. At the very least, I think the RE and VST buttons are very feasible and useful.

Thoughts?

Loque

07 Oct 2018

I need this one quite a long time. I like those tag clicking in many vst patch browsers. Just think of fx+compressor+bus+SSL+vst and you get a bunch of ssl compressor emulations. Same for Tags and instruments. And to be clear, I expect my RP Quad to show up when i choose Reverb...
Reason12, Win10

joeyluck

07 Oct 2018

Loque wrote:
07 Oct 2018
I need this one quite a long time. I like those tag clicking in many vst patch browsers. Just think of fx+compressor+bus+SSL+vst and you get a bunch of ssl compressor emulations. Same for Tags and instruments.
Oh definitely. That would certainly be cool. I was just trying to think along the lines of what could work with the current framework. I'm not sure what a tagged browser would look like in Reason and how much would have to change?

But at the very least, being able to search by tags would be a start and helpful. Right now, searching "reverb" doesn't give you results for reverbs unless it's in the name of the device itself.

selig
RE Developer

07 Oct 2018

Try "Dynamics" instead of compression or compressors, since you also include expanders which seems logical.

Which fits into a suggestion I made years ago (sadly), which was to simply stick to the existing names used for the FSB:
Screen Shot 2018-10-07 at 2.41.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-07 at 2.41.23 PM.png (97.59 KiB) Viewed 791 times
Selig Audio, LLC

joeyluck

07 Oct 2018

selig wrote:
07 Oct 2018
Try "Dynamics" instead of compression or compressors, since you also include expanders which seems logical.

Which fits into a suggestion I made years ago (sadly), which was to simply stick to the existing names used for the FSB:

Screen Shot 2018-10-07 at 2.41.23 PM.png
True. Like I was saying, it's just an example. That would certainly help to keep it concise, which would be somewhat important. Not sure about some of the others since some cross paths... But I'd be happy with whatever is easiest to implement based on definitions given in the shop and within VSTs.

This is how GarageBand browsing looks:

However, when browsing by those subcategories, it only displays Apple plugins. Otherwise, you have to browse by AU, similar to with Reason; first by developer and then by plugin. The only other pieces of audio software I have that load AU/VST plugins are QLab and iZotope RX. Both are just browse by developer and then plugin. So I'm not sure if this info/tagging is contained within VST/AU plugins? Maybe there's options I'm overlooking? But I guess I could see how it could get complicated if there isn't a good default tagging system and in addition, an ability for the user to tag.

Anybody know much about that?

• Information