COMBINATOR MKII (?!)

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
devilfish

26 Sep 2018

More CV-connections on the back, more source and destination slots in the Matrix, more knobs and buttons on the front panel.. MORE EVERYTHING!!

joeyluck

26 Sep 2018

Yeah instead of updating the existing Combinator, perhaps it would be better and easier to just release a second version?

I'd like to see an interface that is as inviting to program and great for workflow like SnapHeap / Multipass by Kilohearts.

Loque

26 Sep 2018

The more often i think about this, the more i recognize whats going out outside of Reason, the more i think, i want it modular and want to build my own "front" of my "Combinator".
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

26 Sep 2018

Loque wrote:
26 Sep 2018
The more often i think about this, the more i recognize whats going out outside of Reason, the more i think, i want it modular and want to build my own "front" of my "Combinator".
I had a dream many years ago, that you could one day drag a knob from any device to the front panel of a blank Combinator II and it would appear there and be automatically linked to the control it came from.

In other words, the combinator was a blank panel and any existing Reason control could be placed anywhere to control any number of destinations. Dragging it to the panel is just a quick shortcut to quickly populating the front panel with a semi-custom look/feel.

And also, we need the same capability for the back panel, with the ability to add as many audio and CV jacks as necessary (and the ability to label them).

And while I'm at it, I want to be able to "sum" controls (so two controls can have the same destination without "fighting" for control, more like CVs behave), have the ability to adjust the complete curve (not just the min/max) of every control slot (which can allow everything from exponential controls to creating "dead spots" on a control, etc), to quantize controls for "stepped" controllers, to set the control "Step Size" like Reaktor for adjusting resolution, and interactive controls so one control can affect others (for radio buttons, keeping two controls from overlapping each other, etc), and probably more that I'm forgetting at the moment.

Joey's suggestion for a totally new Combinator II could also address another common problem, since existing Combi's could now be placed inside this new Combinator II allowing the coveted "Combi in a Combi" functionality!

Make the panel foldable/expandable, and allow swapping out different panels, and now we're talking!
Selig Audio, LLC

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

26 Sep 2018

selig wrote:
26 Sep 2018
Make the panel foldable/expandable, and allow swapping out different panels, and now we're talking!
+1000

This is probably too much, but they could add an option upon saving the patch to allow/disallow showing the programmer and devices. If disallowed, perhaps all GUI elements inside can be culled. This could essentially be a visual RE programming environment. Let users submit these to the Prop Shop for sale or free!

Bes
Competition Winner

26 Sep 2018

pop the bubble entirely and build a player with combinator & europa mod matrix functionality to connect any remotable in the stack (players + instrument + effects) with CV out to connect to other stacks

because its a player it could just be a single mod matrix row and we can add them into the stack as needed
- Certified Reason expert

AS7RO

26 Sep 2018

selig wrote:
26 Sep 2018
Loque wrote:
26 Sep 2018
I had a dream many years ago, that you could one day drag a knob from any device to the front panel of a blank Combinator II and it would appear there and be automatically linked to the control it came from.

In other words, the combinator was a blank panel and any existing Reason control could be placed anywhere to control any number of destinations. Dragging it to the panel is just a quick shortcut to quickly populating the front panel with a semi-custom look/feel.

And also, we need the same capability for the back panel, with the ability to add as many audio and CV jacks as necessary (and the ability to label them).

And while I'm at it, I want to be able to "sum" controls (so two controls can have the same destination without "fighting" for control, more like CVs behave), have the ability to adjust the complete curve (not just the min/max) of every control slot (which can allow everything from exponential controls to creating "dead spots" on a control, etc), to quantize controls for "stepped" controllers, to set the control "Step Size" like Reaktor for adjusting resolution, and interactive controls so one control can affect others (for radio buttons, keeping two controls from overlapping each other, etc), and probably more that I'm forgetting at the moment.

Joey's suggestion for a totally new Combinator II could also address another common problem, since existing Combi's could now be placed inside this new Combinator II allowing the coveted "Combi in a Combi" functionality!

This!!! It sounds like a game changer. Props We found the reason to release Reason XI
Why are you reading this?

scratchnsnifff

27 Sep 2018

selig wrote:
26 Sep 2018
Loque wrote:
26 Sep 2018

Iv been doing research on bitwig because I might get that as a secondary daw. And they have a brilliant solution. Macro knobs that you drag into your rack.

Maybe the combinator could get something like this . I want to be able to see more than needed matrix slots as well as knobs. Although I’d settle for 6-8 knobs the lack of matrix slots is what erks my taters

If they make a new combinator I really hope they go all out so users like myself don’t have to keep requesting :p I don’t mean that in any negative way, but the combinator is literally how I work, no ifs ands or buts about it.

Lets say they work on it, I hope they hold it for an extra 3-6months and ask themselves what else might be useful.
By this I mean more knobs, matrix slots, maybe the learn feature, CV and any other features. Oh and most importantly input text gets translated to sequencer lol

Just some thoughts. :)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Marco Raaphorst

27 Sep 2018

included metering, input and output. included more skin options (chosing all kinds of buttons and switched) and make it possible to close/lock the combinator so the combinator can be a sort of hidden source thing like a RE/IDT. this might mean interesting business for sound/patch designers like myself.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

03 Oct 2018

UVI Falcon is probably the best example of Combinator MK2. Custom panel, many macro knobs, scripting, and so on. NI Reaktor is another one. Question is how to balance features/complexity with ease of use. But I think they should take it far beyond an 8 knob version.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

splangie

03 Oct 2018

Only 4 knobs is frustrating sometimes. I like Selig's "drag a knob" or maybe a programmable virtual knob/button rack utility that you could use in Combinator or anything else.

lowtom

24 Oct 2018

+ 10000000

More knobs and buttons - at least 8.
Selectable knob type between normal mode and step/jump/switch mode.
More audio io - at least 4 additional audio inputs and outputs.
More CV io.
Scrollable, unlimited number of Modulation Routing slots in Programmer.
Adjustable slope and curvature of target parameters.

Please take inspiration from Bitwig Macro implementation, especially Pages system.
:reason: :refill: :re:

esselfortium

24 Oct 2018

My #1 request for a successor to the Combinator is being able to save Mix Channels inside it. Not being able to save and recall a complicated multi-track drum mix is a real nuisance.

Other than that, customizable controls (and ins/outs) like everyone else wants. Let users provide knob filmstrips like they do for RE and VST interfaces, and put controls wherever they want them.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

scratchnsnifff

27 Oct 2018

esselfortium wrote:
24 Oct 2018
My #1 request for a successor to the Combinator is being able to save Mix Channels inside it. Not being able to save and recall a complicated multi-track drum mix is a real nuisance.

Other than that, customizable controls (and ins/outs) like everyone else wants. Let users provide knob filmstrips like they do for RE and VST interfaces, and put controls wherever they want them.
So for reference are you saying something along the lines of that lunch box effect unit? The one that emulates the API series of EQs, compression, de-easing, etc
Like a blank style Thor oscillator panel but instead of oscillators, you would get a selection of knobs that can be routed to anywhere via CV.

As long as they add a crazy amount of matrix slots per device I’d be in heaven
I’d love to be able to make a Thor or Europa combinator that can modulate the entire synth :)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Namyo85

08 Nov 2018

Here's an idea that might make this easier to do: 'Link Combinators'. Let's say you have a Combinator synth patch and you want up to 4 more knobs to turn, all you have to do is place an empty Combinator above the existing one, flip them around and connect a 'link combinator' cable to the one you want to link to. :lightbulb: This would now change to 'Control Combinator' so it probably wouldn't be able to have any devices inside it.

• Information