Multiple Inserts Per Channel

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2018

Reason has some awesome effect Combis, but as it is now we have to choose between having one insert effect in the mix channel or chaining multiple effects in the rack and taking up space. I wish we had more (or infinite?) insert slots in the mix channels so we could for example easily load distortion, modulation fx, and gate Combis on a single channel. Also would be good to be able to change the order of the effects in the chain as well.

Loque

25 Sep 2018

You just can drag the Combinator inside if you like. But you should check the routings for yourself and you obviously loose the Combinator control mappings for the Combinator patch. I prefer to keep the whole Combinator outside, right after my instrument or after the channel for audio channels.

Changing order is done by shift+drag or just change the routing on the backside.

And if this is not enough, you can have plenty of fx after your synth, right before the mix channel and you can have parallel channels and send fx and...man, i never ran out of fx in serial or parallel...

What are you looking for?
Reason12, Win10

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2018

It’s true we can chain many insert fx between an instrument and its mix channel, but I like to keep my racks as uncluttered as possible, especially when dealing with larger projects. I’d just like it if Props expanded the ability to house insert fx inside the mix channel to allow more than one Combinator.

It could be a drop-down or page-left-right button next to the current insert effect slot so that more Combis could be loaded directly in the mix channel AND retain the rotary, button and CV macros. Could even be a rack-in-a-rack design.

Obviously, this would have to be implemented optionally, so that things would function the same for those that prefer to work the way we’ve been working. I wouldn’t want to break the experience of other users.

Loque

25 Sep 2018

Yea, this was requested pretty often - a Combinator in a Combinator, or any kind or grouping things together in the rack, and in the sequencer, and in the mixer. Feel free to send a request to PH. I am with you :-)

What i do in the meantime, i try to order my racks. Left most only bus, on center are the normal channels, everything colored equal that belongs to the same channel, colored with equal tone for the frequency bands they occupy and right most the "disabled/muted" stuff for later use. I keep everything collapsed as small as possible, except insert channels that have insert fx. Sometimes i use separators outside a Combinator too.
Reason12, Win10

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2018

Loque wrote:
25 Sep 2018
Feel free to send a request to PH. I am with you :-)
I might just do that, sir! :)

Nice, sounds like you’ve got things in pretty good order. That definitely helps. I do something similar with my template:

Rack 1 = Send Effects
Rack 2 = Drum Bus
Rack 3 = Bass Bus
Rack 4 = Harmony Bus
Rack 5 = Melody Bus
Rack 6 = Texture + FX Bus

I use an instance of Voxengo Span in each bus, color-coded to the tracks feeding the bus. The master bus has a instance of Span merging all the taps together so I can see their frequency interaction too. Organization helps.

The space that even collapsed devices take up starts to add up after a while tho.

QVprod

25 Sep 2018

Had to read through as of course the amount of inserts you can have in mix channels is unlimited. Problem with combi fx is the insert portion of a mix channel is a combinator in and of itself. What you can do though, is shift drag the contents of the fx combi into the fx slot or load the combi as the preset (in the mixer view) to maintain the control of the combi settings. From there you have the option of dragging additional fx devices to the insert section after that chain.

Loque

25 Sep 2018

Timmy Crowne wrote:
25 Sep 2018
Loque wrote:
25 Sep 2018
Feel free to send a request to PH. I am with you :-)
I might just do that, sir! :)

Nice, sounds like you’ve got things in pretty good order. That definitely helps. I do something similar with my template:

Rack 1 = Send Effects
Rack 2 = Drum Bus
Rack 3 = Bass Bus
Rack 4 = Harmony Bus
Rack 5 = Melody Bus
Rack 6 = Texture + FX Bus

I use an instance of Voxengo Span in each bus, color-coded to the tracks feeding the bus. The master bus has a instance of Span merging all the taps together so I can see their frequency interaction too. Organization helps.

The space that even collapsed devices take up starts to add up after a while tho.
I use those for separation:
https://shop.propellerheads.se/browse/?q=tma
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

25 Sep 2018

+1:
This comes down to the common request for allowing Combinators inside Combinators - remember, the mixer channel “insert” is really just a Combinator itself. If you allow Combi’ s inside of Combi’ s, and also remember you can shift/drag Combinators to change their order, problem solved.

I have also suggested the ability to switch focus of the buttons/rotaries in the mixer channel to point to the different Combinators in the insert, assuming multi-Combi’ s as above. This would allow controlling more than one Combi insert from the mixer without needing to go into the rack.

I (and many others) really really really want this basic functionality!

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information