[Finished] Curved Automation (Petition)

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
RobC

25 Sep 2018

Dear Propellerhead Software Reason Studios!

Please add the possibility of curved automation for the sequencer, just like newer instruments have curves in their envelopes built-in, too.

Thank you!

P.S. Money is already saved up for the next paid update in the future.

(Personally, I'd still love a Midi/CV out from the sequencer, but that's another story.)
Last edited by RobC on 26 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.

friday

25 Sep 2018

+1

Loque

25 Sep 2018

I cant count how often this was requested... And i cant count how often i wished it were available while i tried to adjust a automation "curve"... Was it in the last feature poll?

Nevertheless, i vote for it: +1
Reason12, Win10

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2018

+1

DaveJ330

25 Sep 2018

+1

Creativemind

25 Sep 2018

+1

Yeah that would be great and exponential envelopes on all stock synths. Europa has exponential envelopes doesn't it?

Also more than just 1 45 degree fade out line on audio clips. Have it so you can double click it and add points like you can automation and also curves as well.
Last edited by Creativemind on 07 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

aeox
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2018

+1

RobC

26 Sep 2018

+1

(In case my post doesn't count as a vote. xD)

True, let's hope, they add it if we keep asking, Loque!

Creativemind, unfortunately there's only so much we can request at once, if we'd like something to be made, but this would be a great start!

Noplan
Competition Winner

26 Sep 2018

+1

Mr. Watts

27 Sep 2018

+1

Bes
Competition Winner

27 Sep 2018

+1
or a math lane could work for me, similar to the pattern lane but applies math to the automation lane
- Certified Reason expert

scratchnsnifff

27 Sep 2018

I’d love a in depth automation scaler, with curves!!!

Bitwig and Cubase have amazing automation possibilities

I remember in cubase that you can set a ratio, and 1 out of every 4 dots or velocity marks is selected an moved. And they even have settings so you type in a ratio and the automation forms an up hill or down hill ramp, with variation according to the ratio.

Bitwigs automation isn’t as in-depth but you get something similar but more fancy than reasons tool window. Where you can drag something and it inverts the automation clip.

If they add automation curves, I think it’s fair to say that they should focus on automation as a whole :) with curves, scale settings, preset shapes (I think that would be unique) maybe in the tool window we could get a grid that shows common shapes with the ability to have a folder of user shapes.
I also love how ableton, bitwig and I think fl have a shaded area to indicate values from 0->100% or 0-> -100%

There is room for reason to innovate a little bit regarding automation. As reasons automation system is pretty basic. This is not to say that they should go balls to the wall and over complicate it
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Loque

27 Sep 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
27 Sep 2018

I remember in cubase that you can set a ratio, and 1 out of every 4 dots or velocity marks is selected an moved. And they even have settings so you type in a ratio and the automation forms an up hill or down hill ramp, with variation according to the ratio.

Bitwigs automation isn’t as in-depth but you get something similar but more fancy than reasons tool window. Where you can drag something and it inverts the automation clip.

If they add automation curves, I think it’s fair to say that they should focus on automation as a whole :) with curves, scale settings, preset shapes (I think that would be unique) maybe in the tool window we could get a grid that shows common shapes with the ability to have a folder of user shapes.
I also love how ableton, bitwig and I think fl have a shaded area to indicate values from 0->100% or 0-> -100%

There is room for reason to innovate a little bit regarding automation. As reasons automation system is pretty basic. This is not to say that they should go balls to the wall and over complicate it
I like the idea of a few preset/template curves or generators like "lfo 4/4 with amp=50%" or transformers like "downsample or make it stepped with 10 steps within loop".
Reason12, Win10

scratchnsnifff

27 Sep 2018

Loque wrote:
27 Sep 2018
scratchnsnifff wrote:
27 Sep 2018

I like the idea of a few preset/template curves or generators like "lfo 4/4 with amp=50%" or transformers like "downsample or make it stepped with 10 steps within loop".
Indeed! I wonder if an automation focused update is something that is a staple feature, or if it would be a point update feature

My hope is that someday they break their update cycle, to unleash a mega update something along the lines of say combinator mk2 with smart features, automation stuff, various time stretch modes with a grain playback mode, and maybe a new synth or suite of effects.

If they aimed their update like this I think they would get a lot of positive feedback. Essentially the idea is to hit a nail on each piece of wood within each update. So a little bit of workflow stiff, a couple of wow factors, and something else that’s new to play with. A little of everything. Their current model takes a while but they really have been killing it so maybe they should just keep up their good work 😁😆
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

RobC

27 Sep 2018

The preset idea is interesting ~ so far I usually solved that with creating (currently easily possible) shapes, put them into clips, and used them that way - can be a bit of a hassle though.

makke

27 Sep 2018

+1, but do it how FL Studio is making it. Two points and "tension line" between them. You get much, much better control to curve than example how Live has curve thing. The difference is huge.

Marc64

27 Sep 2018

+1
Using this until that gets implemented...

Download file http://propellerheads.se/stuff/JB34.zip

RobC

28 Sep 2018

Marc64 wrote:
27 Sep 2018
+1

I was wondering for a sec, like how on earth he did that - (yeah drawing everything point by point) ~ though really wonder now what keeps them from making these, especially when he mentioned how other DAWs have such things.

Creativemind

28 Sep 2018

RobC wrote:
26 Sep 2018
+1

(In case my post doesn't count as a vote. xD)

True, let's hope, they add it if we keep asking, Loque!

Creativemind, unfortunately there's only so much we can request at once, if we'd like something to be made, but this would be a great start!
I know there's A LOT I want lol! I'm hoping for even more (probably not till after the VST update later on this year) midi editing features. I'm hoping for a 10.5 which is a midi editor focussed update. I have over 20 features here. Propellerhead need to look at the piano roll on FL Studio to see the possibilities but again I'll +1 the "Curved Automation".
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

C//AZM

28 Sep 2018

RobC wrote:
28 Sep 2018
Marc64 wrote:
27 Sep 2018
+1

I was wondering for a sec, like how on earth he did that - (yeah drawing everything point by point) ~ though really wonder now what keeps them from making these, especially when he mentioned how other DAWs have such things.
OH I forgot all about that thing! Great call!
I had it as part of my template back in reason 5 or 6...sometime before REs.
I'm gonna re-do one of my starter templates and put that back in.

Loque

28 Sep 2018

C//AZM wrote:
28 Sep 2018
RobC wrote:
28 Sep 2018

OH I forgot all about that thing! Great call!
I had it as part of my template back in reason 5 or 6...sometime before REs.
I'm gonna re-do one of my starter templates and put that back in.
And now put THIS in a template menu and/or make it easier to record an LFO with just a simple "send to track"...
Reason12, Win10

RobC

01 Oct 2018

Sadly, there's only so much we can draw in the sequencer accurately. Not good for obsessive compulsive disorder. xD

Well, we got about 14 votes. That enough? xD

Loque

01 Oct 2018

RobC wrote:
01 Oct 2018
Sadly, there's only so much we can draw in the sequencer accurately. Not good for obsessive compulsive disorder. xD

Obviously a feature which is not important to most users.
Reason12, Win10

RobC

01 Oct 2018

Loque wrote:
01 Oct 2018
RobC wrote:
01 Oct 2018

I wouldn't think so. Maybe with some demonstration what it's good for, people would understand. One obvious would be song fade outs. But also it could be great for adding unique dynamics/filtering for each note when it comes to melodies. I'm not a fixed ADSR-type.

Loque

01 Oct 2018

RobC wrote:
01 Oct 2018
Loque wrote:
01 Oct 2018

I wouldn't think so. Maybe with some demonstration what it's good for, people would understand. One obvious would be song fade outs. But also it could be great for adding unique dynamics/filtering for each note when it comes to melodies. I'm not a fixed ADSR-type.
The usecases are endless for me. From creating automated ADSR, panning, filter sweeps or modulations in general. A lot of synths do not have enough modmatrix slots and modulation with envelope generators are somewhat limited at a specific point. That is where automation is required for modulation.

Beside the normal stuff of automating data. Changing from a linear to exp/sin/log thing would be nice. Way more control how a sound or a automation should be shaped.

Well, maybe not everyone needs this accuracy or is experimenting with automation in the sequencer to make the sounds as he wants it.
Reason12, Win10

• Information