VST improvements

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
joeyluck

17 Sep 2018

I see these all as pretty basic, but would make a significant difference for workflow.

Filter by plugin type
This is very important with the number of plugins users have now and with the upcoming VST3 support. Other DAWs have the option to sort by plugin type. And this would be multi-selection and not an either or search. So you can browse RE+VST+VST3 or RE+VST3 or just VST, etc.

filter_by_plugin_type.png
filter_by_plugin_type.png (121.24 KiB) Viewed 3345 times

Open Upon Creation (option)
Every time I create a VST, I then have to open it. I have no control over parameters from the Rack and I also don't have immediate access to the plugin's interface upon creating an instance of it. How often do people create a VST and then not have a need to access the plugin's interface? I would assume most people create a VST and then hit the open button. Seems like an unnecessary step. So why not an option: "VST window opens upon creation"? This is how VST's behave in other DAWs, such as Bitwig and Logic. Logic presents it as an option as seen here (this is the default setting):

Logic-open_on_insertion.png
Logic-open_on_insertion.png (25.17 KiB) Viewed 3345 times

Keep Open by Default (option)
Why not have an option to have VSTs 'keep open', unless closed, by default? I find that I much prefer having control over opening and closing windows. There's nowhere else within the operating system where this behavior exists. I'm used to closing windows when I actually want them out of the way. This option would simply mean that this button is selected by default:

Keep_open.png
Keep_open.png (9.16 KiB) Viewed 3344 times

Collapsable option bar / smaller buttons
These take up space. In other DAWs like Logic, you can hide the top section. So maybe either allow the option to collapse this section and/or make the buttons smaller? For some plugins I use, this large header pushes the the bottom of the plugin's GUI out of view (when it's at an optimal viewing size), whereas if these buttons could be collapsed or smaller, it would fit on my screen without having to make the GUI smaller.

Collapsable:
VST-collapse_options.gif
VST-collapse_options.gif (139.15 KiB) Viewed 3342 times

Smaller icons and moving text to the right:
VST-smaller-icons.png
VST-smaller-icons.png (199.44 KiB) Viewed 3341 times

More channels available without opening programmer
Of course not all channels can fit here, but certainly an additional pair for inputs and outputs can fit. For all the plugins that have additional outputs available or all the plugins that have sidechain available on inputs 3&4, it seems unnecessary to have to expand the VST device to access them when there is so much space available. Could also be an opportunity to label a little better—since the expanded view is currently only called "CV Programmer" and mentions nothing about additional I/O.

Additional_channels.png
Additional_channels.png (121.66 KiB) Viewed 3286 times

Receive MIDI CC
Currently VSTs only receive performance controls, but not CC. So even if a controller's knob is set to send CC74 and a VST parameter is set to receive CC74, turning that knob will do nothing. You can try to make assignments with Remote, and aside from that being unnecessary work to setup something already assigned, I still am not able to get things to work most of the time.

Assignable Knobs and buttons (with default assignments)
Like 'smart controls' in other DAWs, they could perhaps be assigned by default to popular parameters such as cutoff, resonance, etc. It would be a simple solution to have some control from Reason's interface. They could be available via a dropdown without having to dive into an editor or place it into a Combinator. It's all about workflow and bringing something to the front of the VST device.

Auto Screenshot each time window is closed (option)
In lieu of having the VST device in the Rack display the plugin in realtime, why not have an option that automatically takes a new screenshot each time the window is closed? That way what is displayed in the Rack is most accurate to what is going on with that instance of the plugin at that time. Ideally this would be independent of what the screenshot button does, instead creating temp files only attached to the project, so that each individual instance of a particular plugin can look different if need be, per VST device in the Rack.

joeyluck

17 Sep 2018

Here was an idea I posted before...

Ignore the bottom half if trying to access a VST's interface from within the Rack doesn't interest you. I still kind of like that idea and don't mind scrolling about for larger interfaces (with the option still to open it separately) if it means I can access controls from the rack and keep things tidy while still open

I've found that most of the VSTs I've bought actually fit with the confines of the Rack anyways...and only used a larger interface as an example. I had to view Zebra at 120% to get that view. Zebra scales down to 70% ...and at 90% it fits in the rack.

But I digress... In this thread I'm more just pitching the idea of adding some knobs.
The screenshot display is cool, but since it doesn't give us any information about what is actually going on, I wouldn't mind if that shrunk a little bit to make room for more controls.

Loque

18 Sep 2018

+1 for embedded view and keep vst open by default.
Reason12, Win10

tiker01

18 Sep 2018

Embedde view would be great just as assignable knobs and may I add buttons (toggle as well). However, why not let the user decide how many parameters they wish to control with a knob or button?

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

antic604

18 Sep 2018

+1 to everything in this post! :thumbs_up:

madmacman

18 Sep 2018

And while we are at it: The icons / buttons of the VST toolbar could be a tad bit smaller! :)

tiker01

18 Sep 2018

madmacman wrote:
18 Sep 2018
And while we are at it: The icons / buttons of the VST toolbar could be a tad bit smaller! :)

And perhaps hideable :puf_bigsmile:

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

mreese80

19 Sep 2018

joeyluck wrote:
17 Sep 2018
Here was an idea I posted before...

Ignore the bottom half if trying to access a VST's interface from within the Rack doesn't interest you. I still kind of like that idea and don't mind scrolling about for larger interfaces (with the option still to open it separately) if it means I can access controls from the rack and keep things tidy while still open

I've found that most of the VSTs I've bought actually fit with the confines of the Rack anyways...and only used a larger interface as an example. I had to view Zebra at 120% to get that view. Zebra scales down to 70% ...and at 90% it fits in the rack.

But I digress... In this thread I'm more just pitching the idea of adding some knobs.
The screenshot display is cool, but since it doesn't give us any information about what is actually going on, I wouldn't mind if that shrunk a little bit to make room for more controls.

I like this idea a lot man. It never even crossed my mind. And that plugin is dope. I've been using that forever :thumbs_up:
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

joeyluck

19 Sep 2018

Didn't know so many people would be into the embedded view :puf_smile: ...not many were before. So figured I'd just ask people to not focus on that when linking the image I shared before lol. Not sure what is possible in regards to doing this, but yeah, I do still like the embedded view option. And you'd still have the ability to open the VST in a separate window, so no harm done IMO if it doesn't work for someone's workflow.
tiker01 wrote:
18 Sep 2018
Embedde view would be great just as assignable knobs and may I add buttons (toggle as well). However, why not let the user decide how many parameters they wish to control with a knob or button?
In regards to the number of parameters...If there's a way to offer it additionally and do it easily, then sure!

My idea is that you can make the knobs assignable with simple dropdown menus when it's limited to one parameter each. More than one and then you need to dive into an editor like the Combinator, which in that case, might as well use the Combinator, right? This is all about simply getting a handful of popular parameters to the face of the VST device. So if you create a VST, you can have something to control from the face quickly when a device is created. Don't need too much IMO because yes, you can still open the VST window if you really need to get your hands on more controls, or you can put it into a Combinator if you want to get creative.

WongoTheSane

21 Sep 2018

I agree with all of these points. I hope they're taking notes :)

scratchnsnifff

23 Sep 2018

I always open serum inside of a pre built int combinator

This lets the macro knobs be the Reason interface while the drag and drop + visual modulation of serum gets the heavy lifting

I recommend that people do this with their favorite devices, so you get instant control over most used scenarios with your most used synths

Also if the combinator had more of everything in its abilities, users could have an easier time with making vps avenger combinators and even serum.

But I ageee maybe they could take a more in depth approach but similar to the EMI?
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

joeyluck

23 Sep 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
23 Sep 2018
I always open serum inside of a pre built int combinator

This lets the macro knobs be the Reason interface while the drag and drop + visual modulation of serum gets the heavy lifting

I recommend that people do this with their favorite devices, so you get instant control over most used scenarios with your most used synths

Also if the combinator had more of everything in its abilities, users could have an easier time with making vps avenger combinators and even serum.
I've certainly done this with a few of my most used VSTs. But it still involves getting things into the Combinator's programmer...and then labeling the control on the combinator...and then the control not holding it's name in the sequencer...and then having to call up that Combinator patch versus just loading the plugin or loading a saved VST device patch, etc. Because again, the Combinator seems to be more focused on the ability of having its controls serve as macros controlling several parameters and getting a little more creative. Doing this is not optimal for just loading up VSTs. You'd have to do this for every plugin and save a Combinator patch.
scratchnsnifff wrote:
23 Sep 2018
But I ageee maybe they could take a more in depth approach but similar to the EMI?
Yeah I'm thinking something simple along those lines. Something that can allow for a drop-down selection for assigning a few knobs (because you'd only be able to assign one parameter per knob), versus having to jump into an editor because each knob can handle multiple parameters... Something quick. And something that can have some defaults assigned.

Marco Raaphorst

24 Sep 2018

embedded view!

joeyluck

01 Oct 2019

Wow it's been a year? I proposed these back when work on performance improvement was announced.

I have added this suggestion to the list:

Auto Screenshot each time window is closed (option)
In lieu of having the VST device in the Rack display the plugin in realtime, why not have an option that automatically takes a new screenshot each time the window is closed? That way what is displayed in the Rack is most accurate to what is going on with that instance of the plugin at that time. Ideally this would be independent of what the screenshot button does, instead creating temp files only attached to the project, so that each individual instance of a particular plugin can look different if need be, per VST device in the Rack.

I've sort of moved on from the idea of the embedded view. But the assignable knobs and buttons still feel like they are very missed. Every other DAW has smart controls, macro controls, module controls, etc. when you load a plugin. In Reason, you have to put them in a Combinator, and then create assignments. There should be knobs and buttons on the VST device and they should have some generic assignments to start.

esselfortium

01 Oct 2019

Auto screenshot on close would be fantastic, and would make racks full of VSTs so much easier to navigate! The single screenshot is basically useless for VSTs like Kontakt whose interface is determined entirely by which patch is currently loaded.

Also seconding the need for built-in macro knobs.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

esselfortium

01 Oct 2019

I'd also like to see an option like Studio One has, where you can open multiple VSTs in different tabs of a single window, and navigate between them more quickly that way without all the window spam.
Sarah Mancuso

joeyluck

01 Oct 2019

esselfortium wrote:
01 Oct 2019
I'd also like to see an option like Studio One has, where you can open multiple VSTs in different tabs of a single window, and navigate between them more quickly that way without all the window spam.
Yeah that would be very nice too. I think there's still some work to be done in the multiple instance handling. Most (or all?) other DAWs allow for a particular plugin to be added to all mix channels, in a single action.

esselfortium

01 Oct 2019

joeyluck wrote:
01 Oct 2019
esselfortium wrote:
01 Oct 2019
Yeah that would be very nice too. I think there's still some work to be done in the multiple instance handling. Most (or all?) other DAWs allow for a particular plugin to be added to all mix channels, in a single action.
Batch options like that would be amazing. (Ideally I'd love to have Reason just automatically add an instance of Neutron to every new mixer channel by default.)
Sarah Mancuso

joeyluck

12 Sep 2022

I've updated this list in anticipation of VST3 support. I hope they can consider some of these things :)

deeplink
Competition Winner

12 Sep 2022

Me too
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

joeyluck

13 Sep 2022

I've updated the list with the idea of moving inputs and outputs 3&4 to the unexpanded view of the back panel. There's room for them and it shouldn't be necessary to expand the programmer to access these very commonly available inputs and outputs.

huggermugger

13 Sep 2022

+1 for Keep Open By Default. Also, a proper Bypass button, and not that fiddly little switch.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 6.24.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 6.24.13 PM.png (430.97 KiB) Viewed 3273 times

selig
RE Developer

14 Sep 2022

“More channels available without opening programmer”

Add to this:
Custom labels for the additional I/O (so when you share a Combinator everyone knows what those extra I/O jacks actually do), and for goodness sake add a few CVs with labels as well. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

StephenHutchinson

14 Sep 2022

Amen to all of the above. That would be ridiculously cool!
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
:refill: Reason Sound Design & Content Creation
Sound Dimension https://www.sounddimension.io

ReFiils: Ambientia Cinematic Soundscapes | String Theory (Friktion) | Algoritmo (Algoritm)

A.sch3

17 Sep 2022

+1 to everything

• Information