Spectrum EQ ideas

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
scratchnsnifff

15 Aug 2018

So with a lot of recent advances in recent years regarding EQs

I think it would be cool to see reasons spectrum Eq get some new features

Here is a list of what I think would be useful/needed features

1. More precise bandwidth adjustment
The bands don’t go all that narrow, maybe this was a design choice so users can give a general boost or cut
Probably made to use for cutting the general range of one frequency and boosting the range of another (mixing purposes)

2.resonance for the filter slopes/different “models”

I’d love to use the spectrum eq as a filter, but it doesn’t have a resonance control or 12/24 dB filter slopes.
This is what I like more about synapse audios EQ, an equalizer in essence is the same thing as a filter so the low pass and high pass should at least have a resonance control

3. Filter shape presets

It would be nice to see some oddball filter types in the spectrum EQ, maybe some crazy setting could analyze audio and look at its shape and slap that on as an EQ/filter shape?
If not this, then maybe some more basic shapes, LP HP BP and notch

Having a couple of extra bands, would come into play here to be able to make a band reject filter with the two peaks able to sweep back and fourth

4. The ability to reference a song and see what the master EQ probably looked like
This feature is most likely to happen, more modern EQs like isotopes neutron, ozone, and even kiloheartZ eq can do this

This would be a very nice advancement in reasons ability to mix/master. And would be a great way for Reason users to get the hang of how their genres and favorite songs are Eq’d

5. Option for showing multiple instances.
This would be handy so you can compare how two tracks are Eq’d

Say you have two tracks and both sort of resemble the same frequencies give or take, you could easily see that you would need to cut one and boost the other.

I feel like all of these ideas would really push Reason as a tool for mixing and mastering. Also the filter ideas would be great for more creative expression. I know that FL studio uses this concept in their fruity EQ, there are presets (or a drop down menu) of filter designs using the EQ

Maybe one of their major updates could focus heavily on reasons Mixing and mastering as well as utilities

I think it would be a strong move to do their long awaited combinator update alongside some mastering tools

P.s in a previous post I mentioned the idea of a drawable waveshaper distortion, that would fit nicely in an update focused on mixing and mastering tools. Also if they had a drawable distortion, wouldn’t that mean no one would need another? As drawing a waveshaper curve yields endless possibilities. That is if you like waveshaping versus something more subtle like pulverizers grit or screams tape mode.

Would love to hear some thoughts on the Eq. Are there any other mixer ideas that would boost the workflow and creativity of us users?
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Creativemind

26 Aug 2018

Well the Spectrum EQ relates to the SSL main mixer so any parameters or adjustments are related to that. So the frequency range will only be the frequency range of the Main Mixer. So to implement most of what you're saying, they'd need to adjust the ranges and functions of the Main Mixer. This may screw up previous projects that used the Main Mixer before these were implemented. So I don't know if it would be backwards compatible?

2 features I'd like to see on the Spectrum EQ would be:-

1) Playing the cut or boost separately (not just playing the track with the EQ applied or playing the track with the EQ bypassed) being able to play just the cut or boosted part.

2) Being able to open multiple Spectrum EQ's at once (for spectral comparison purposes.)

I'm not opposed to any of your suggestions though if backwards compatibility wasn't an issue.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

scratchnsnifff

28 Aug 2018

Creativemind wrote:
26 Aug 2018
Well the Spectrum EQ relates to the SSL main mixer so any parameters or adjustments are related to that. So the frequency range will only be the frequency range of the Main Mixer. So to implement most of what you're saying, they'd need to adjust the ranges and functions of the Main Mixer. This may screw up previous projects that used the Main Mixer before these were implemented. So I don't know if it would be backwards compatible?

2 features I'd like to see on the Spectrum EQ would be:-

1) Playing the cut or boost separately (not just playing the track with the EQ applied or playing the track with the EQ bypassed) being able to play just the cut or boosted part.

2) Being able to open multiple Spectrum EQ's at once (for spectral comparison purposes.)

I'm not opposed to any of your suggestions though if backwards compatibility wasn't an issue.
idk if it would break backwards compatibility. I really don’t think that would be the case. I mean if they can add everything from 6 and up, and still be able to open Reason 1 songs. Surely adjusting the features to what’s already there wouldn’t be as much of a worry

I feel like If any of the features would break BwC it would be the reference feature

But having the ability to make a more narrow Q is a rather standard feature in EQs

Idk where it was posted but someone was trying to make the same point for a Thor update. Now surely it’s possible to break compatibility, but adding to what’s already there shouldn’t

In the Thor example, adding a grain oscillator with the sampling feature, or adding any form of oscillator (so we’d get a 7th oscillator or how ever many) would be adding to the existing construct

I suppose my point is that reinventing the wheel might break backwards compatibility. But adding spinning rims won’t.

None of what I am saying, is trying to say that it would be easy. But I do feel like it’s within reason as well as possible :)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

flightONE

28 Aug 2018

I would love to have cursors and also a max peak line.... basically make this just like Ableton's spectrum which In my opinion that is the right way to do a spectrum analyzer.... but in the wrong DAW...

• Information