"SSL MIXER IN THE RACK" - Request

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Mmj85

09 Jul 2018

Not much to say about this idea, but it would help control the SSL Mixer elements while staying in the rack for each channel and enable CV inputs for the possibility of modulation ; )
What do you guys think?

PS: Sorry for the poor PhotoShop skills, i am more of a music guy lol
I am sure the Props can create it to look more elegant if its ever added :) :reason:

just wanted to show a visual representation of the idea, here are some pics :geek: :

REASON TALK SSL EQ IN RACK.jpg
REASON TALK SSL EQ IN RACK.jpg (519.86 KiB) Viewed 1461 times
REASON TALK SSL EQ IN RACK BACK.jpg
REASON TALK SSL EQ IN RACK BACK.jpg (431.87 KiB) Viewed 1461 times

tibah

09 Jul 2018

It's kinda funny choosing the EQ, because that's one thing you can already access from the rack! ;)

My default answer to this idea is no. Why? Because the mixer in Reason is one huge benefit of separating sound-design/production from the endless possibilities within the rack and therefore, personally, a nice moment to breathe and focus at the task, which is mixing. YMMV.

P'elle
Competition Winner

09 Jul 2018

Brainworx just launched a public beta for SSL 4000 E and G console emulations.

Loque

09 Jul 2018

I would keep it rather off the rack too. But I would like to see the elements from the SSL as rack versions too, so i can hook them up to sculp a sound. I really like the sound of the eq in the last time, the compressor, gater and expander sound good and the SSL comp is super smooth. Yes to rack versions in addition, but no to always in the rack.
Reason12, Win10

Mmj85

09 Jul 2018

tibah wrote:
09 Jul 2018
It's kinda funny choosing the EQ, because that's one thing you can already access from the rack! ;)

My default answer to this idea is no. Why? Because the mixer in Reason is one huge benefit of separating sound-design/production from the endless possibilities within the rack and therefore, personally, a nice moment to breathe and focus at the task, which is mixing. YMMV.

You are correct, from the spectral analyzer : )
but you don’t have CV possibilities if you wish to go that route. :reason: :reason:
And I personally prefer knobs better ;)

I actually chose the EQ because is was a longer section of the mixer that I can easily stretch to fit in the rack with out it looking too grainy in PhotoShop lol

I completely understand your point of view on having the mixer play it’s role and it’s ability to force you to stay focus on the task at hand. IMO why not have the option in the rack to use the SSL features for sound designing and lets say add a quick send FX to a channel without seeking the Mixer when mixing. I think it would save some time for those of us that add parallel Chanel’s to sound design and create layers in the Rack : )

tibah

09 Jul 2018

I agree on the topic of send effects. You can add using the bus compressor as well. ;) These are some very early task in every project that I do that make jumping to the mixer feel odd sometimes.

But then again, design in Reason is and always will be a difficult topic and for some issues, I have a hard time imagining what it could look like without breaking what Reason is - the rack, more or less. Like we finally now have darker themes to comfortably work at later times of the day, but once you jump to the mixer you get "enlightened"... BOOM! ;)

My use of the mixer is rather simple. Add and adjust send effects and have an overall feel for the mix by looking at the meters and narrowing the width of a track by corresponding knobs to make things mono. Then again, I wonder what those 8 available send slots would look like on the mix channel device in the rack and I get gentle toothache... ;)

I love Reason and I invested heavily in RE and ReFills over 17 years of using it on and off. But there are simply things that will always feel like shortcomings, because by its nature its designed to represent hardware rack units, which was great when it launched but in 2018 not so much. In 2018 software can be proud to be software and use the latest technology to full advantage. Just have a look at Bitwig and what they do. That said, I use Reason in the most boring way possible, simply because things like dub layers and automation clips simply work for my brain and I'm so attached to it. ;)

jetpilot00

09 Jul 2018

Just a quick question. Why do all of you guys want an SSL emulation in the rack? Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to have modules in the mixer instead of the rack?

Instead of a fixed mixer, you can have the API mic pre, SSL 4000 EQ, Neve compressor......whatever you want. I really hope this is how the next generation mixer goes. Now, I can see a duplicate that is generated in the rack for quick editing while in the rack but I would want it to all start in the mixer.

Just curious.

Thanks,

-JP
***If life is a song, I've just passed the guitar solo.***

Loque

09 Jul 2018

jetpilot00 wrote:
09 Jul 2018
Just a quick question. Why do all of you guys want an SSL emulation in the rack? Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to have modules in the mixer instead of the rack?

Instead of a fixed mixer, you can have the API mic pre, SSL 4000 EQ, Neve compressor......whatever you want. I really hope this is how the next generation mixer goes. Now, I can see a duplicate that is generated in the rack for quick editing while in the rack but I would want it to all start in the mixer.

Just curious.

Thanks,

-JP
Tbh, i dont see a real benefit for ssl in rack or module exchange in ssl. Well, it would be nice, yes. But do I really need it? No. Only the ssl master compressor would be nice, because it is not easy to use it for just 1 channel.

And from developer perspective, the cost/value is bad. Too much stuff to maintain in the future for too less benefit.
Reason12, Win10

antic604

10 Jul 2018

P'elle wrote:
09 Jul 2018
...which is weird because they've already had bx_console E and bx_console G. But I guess now they're "officially approved by SSL" :D

BRIGGS

10 Jul 2018

tibah wrote:
09 Jul 2018

good point! :thumbs_up:
r11s

jimmyklane

10 Jul 2018

P'elle wrote:
09 Jul 2018
Is this related to the Console E/G/N plugins? I’ve got the original Console plugin and got the Console N in a sale with a discount code for $4.99!!!

The Console N plugin is perhaps the closest thing I’ve ever heard to imitating a real desk. I cut my teeth on an Amek Rembrandt (which was designed by Rupert Neve) and it had (to my knowledge) the very first “plugin” access to console features. In any case, even though ConsoleN is emulating the Neve VXS it SOUNDS very much like the Amek I grew up with (and really wish I could afford the space, weight, power, and price for!)

As a historical side note: the channel dynamics and VCAs were accessed by the computer running the automation and you used an on-screen control to adjust the analog dynamics. The EQ was on the desk, but the automation, VCA groups, and channel dynamics were all in the computer!
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

deepndark

10 Jul 2018

Only mixers in a rack are 14:2 or 6:2 - these are very old and ain't that impressive to use, because their texts are small etc. So I would love an SSL mixer in a rack already because of that. And SSL EQ in a rack too, because some people using Reason actually are more of "The Rackists" than "Mixerists" - a psychological thing.

Ahornberg

10 Jul 2018

I had an idea in this thread to control the Reason Mixer from the Rack using Remote. I see now there is some interest here.
2d_mixer.jpg
2d_mixer.jpg (173.84 KiB) Viewed 1277 times
For more information see this thread viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7507474

• Information