Hey MattiasHG...Do you guys plan on adding real time audio slicing to reason anytime soon? Hopefully b4 i die

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
mreese80

03 Jul 2018

While improvements have been made this daw is still lacking features other daws have. I want reason to always be reason. But i would love to see this feature added. I often wonder if you guys even think about hip hop producers.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +lazy+chop
Last edited by mreese80 on 04 Jul 2018, edited 1 time in total.
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

antic604

03 Jul 2018

It probably would be easier for Mattias to answer if you told us when you're planning to die? ;)

BTW, considering what they post on their blog and music posted by Reason users on FB, 3/4 of what Reason is used for is hip-hop/trip/grime, etc.

EpiGenetik

03 Jul 2018

Have you tried Quadelectra's BeatChop? Or do you have a different definition of real-time slicing?

EdGrip

03 Jul 2018

He's on about the thing where press a key during playback of audio and it makes a slice when you press. It's been mentioned before.

I'd love to try it - my hunch is that the result would always need that much tidying up that it would be quicker just to do it properly in the first place, but I would genuinely like to see use-cases and see why people like it.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

03 Jul 2018

EpiGenetik wrote:
03 Jul 2018
Have you tried Quadelectra's BeatChop? Or do you have a different definition of real-time slicing?
and there is also this one buffre-beat-repeater

Buffre Beat Repeater is an audio looping device that repeats and scrubs audio in sync with song tempo. Buffre is a performance effect, playable from a MIDI keyboard or control surface, and supports Reason control voltage routings for automated looping, stutter and glitch effects.

tallrobphilp

03 Jul 2018

Perhaps not the intention of the OP but it would be great to be able to slice without having to import to an audio track, then slice to REX, then import etc. Even the "intro" version of Ableton has the ability to load a drum loop into the simpler, turn the "sensitivity" dial and start finding transients and being able to trigger the slices with notes. I personally don't like the idea of having to save a totally separate file.

This kind of slice-as-you-go functionality is pretty widely available now. I totally acknowledge that REX and Recycle laid a lot of the groundwork for this stuff years ago but isn't it time that Reason moved on? Slicing loops is a very common workflow now and it's pretty laborious in Reason as it is.

Currently, I have to decide in advance where I want my slice points to be and if I change my mind I have to start again, slice again, save a new REX file etc. It's not exactly a smooth creative process.

p.s. I welcome mockery if I've missed this by not reading the manual!!

EdGrip

03 Jul 2018

It has, after all, been over a year since mreese80's last thread on his life's passion - viewtopic.php?t=7499516

Here's how I assume it works - you're playing back an audio clip, and you hear a bit you like and want on a pad - somebody saying "Dis shit so funky you can smell it from space", say, or a particularly nice cowbell. Ace. You hit the slice button.
Now, what you've got is a slice at the *end* of the event you want on a pad, with loads of silence at the start (because you are not a psychic, you're not Superman, and you can't drop a slice the millisecond before your cowbell hits.)
So then you *have* to go in and tidy up the start of all the samples you've "lazy chopped", so why not just make the slice at the start of the event in the first place?

EdGrip

03 Jul 2018

Far more useful, I reckon, for more use cases is to just allow audible scrubbing from the transport bar.
That'll make it super-fast to find the precise position you're looking for in a busy waveform.

THEN all you need is, er, a hotkey that makes a slice where the transport is! Okay, that would be handy.

EdGrip

03 Jul 2018

tallrobphilp wrote:
03 Jul 2018
Currently, I have to decide in advance where I want my slice points to be and if I change my mind I have to start again, slice again, save a new REX file etc. It's not exactly a smooth creative process.

p.s. I welcome mockery if I've missed this by not reading the manual!!
No, you're totally right. It's crap. Here's what I do.
New song (cos why mess with your current project). > Drop audio for loop onto timeline. Trim so the audio clip starts where your loop starts and drag to the very start of the song > Right click on audio > Disable stretch > Now adjust the the BPM of the project until the grid lines up with the beat on your waveform, on average (this is why I find it's easier and more accurate to do this over the span of a whole song rather than just 1 bar of audio). > Make the slice for the end of your loop (snap to bar), delete the rest of the audio to keep things neat. > Right click on clip > Enable stretch (and set stretch type of need be) > Now you can adjust the BPM of the project to something standard if you like, or just leave it as it is and let the REX player handle BPM when you use the loop later - bear in mind those two approaches will have a different sound.
NOW you have to do the whole Slice Edit bit, which works fairly well apart from the fact you can't adjust the sensitivity. Make any tweaks to your timing of individual hits here. Now, finally, (while in slice edit mode mind you)... Right click > Bounce clip to new REX loop! YAAAAAAY!

For the company that invented Rex loops, making Rex loops is an AWFUL workflow. And as you say, you are entirely committed once you bounce that Rex loop, which is infuriating!! Youn't go back in and tweak it after. Argh, it's so shit!
Sorry

mreese80

03 Jul 2018

EdGrip wrote:
03 Jul 2018
It has, after all, been over a year since mreese80's last thread on his life's passion - viewtopic.php?t=7499516

Here's how I assume it works - you're playing back an audio clip, and you hear a bit you like and want on a pad - somebody saying "Dis shit so funky you can smell it from space", say, or a particularly nice cowbell. Ace. You hit the slice button.
Now, what you've got is a slice at the *end* of the event you want on a pad, with loads of silence at the start (because you are not a psychic, you're not Superman, and you can't drop a slice the millisecond before your cowbell hits.)
So then you *have* to go in and tidy up the start of all the samples you've "lazy chopped", so why not just make the slice at the start of the event in the first place?
So nice of you to keep up with my post's. Alway's a dick around.
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

mreese80

03 Jul 2018

I have this feature in mpc software and ableton. It would be nice to have in reason also.

mreese80

03 Jul 2018

antic604 wrote:
03 Jul 2018
It probably would be easier for Mattias to answer if you told us when you're planning to die? ;)

BTW, considering what they post on their blog and music posted by Reason users on FB, 3/4 of what Reason is used for is hip-hop/trip/grime, etc.
I'm not planning on dying anytime soon, but that's not up to me. That's in God's hand's. The feature is needed.

Oquasec

03 Jul 2018

you gotta turn off snap and use pencil tool for zero crossings or do it the easy way with the reason 5 modules and just crop every specific point in seconds.
One day they might add studio one's transient detect center who knows
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

jimmyklane

03 Jul 2018

mreese80 wrote:
03 Jul 2018
While improvements have been made this daw is still lacking features other daws have. I want reason to always be reason. But i would love to see this feature added. I often wonder if you guys even think about hip hop producers.
You’re talking about MPC-style chops, where you bring in a loop or section of sampled music and then lay it out on the pads?

To the best of my knowledge this has ALWAYS been a manual process. Even something like Maschine simply grabs the transients and you often have to adjust the “hit markers” by hand.

If you’re talking about something different than I’d love to understand what you mean.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

tt_lab

03 Jul 2018

Are you talking about "Lazy Chop"?

mreese80

04 Jul 2018

tt_lab wrote:
03 Jul 2018
Are you talking about "Lazy Chop"?
Yep. Mpc Software feature. You kow what i'm talking about. You have the mpc software as well. Your name is Trent right? Once upon a time me and you got on skype because i use my ren as a controller in reason. Is this isn't you even though i'm sure it is...disregard all that lol. I bring this up on here every blue moon. It would be nice to have this feature in Reason. Even though i don't use it much...it would be nice to have.

gdm41

04 Jul 2018

In the meantime you can use Serato Sample.
Start lending-> http://www.kiva.org

chimp_spanner

04 Jul 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
03 Jul 2018
mreese80 wrote:
03 Jul 2018
You’re talking about MPC-style chops, where you bring in a loop or section of sampled music and then lay it out on the pads?

To the best of my knowledge this has ALWAYS been a manual process. Even something like Maschine simply grabs the transients and you often have to adjust the “hit markers” by hand.

If you’re talking about something different than I’d love to understand what you mean.
True, although on the Maschine it's super fast thanks in part to the hardware controller. Using the endless encoders to set slice points is a breeze. Of course I know that wouldn't really be possible in Reason without a dedicated controller but I'd settle for auto slicing (4/8/16/etc.) tbh. Anything that does away with all the extra clicks it takes to achieve the same result :)

mreese80

04 Jul 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
04 Jul 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
03 Jul 2018

True, although on the Maschine it's super fast thanks in part to the hardware controller. Using the endless encoders to set slice points is a breeze. Of course I know that wouldn't really be possible in Reason without a dedicated controller but I'd settle for auto slicing (4/8/16/etc.) tbh. Anything that does away with all the extra clicks it takes to achieve the same result :)
You don't have to have a controller in the mpc software or ableton. You can do it directly from the software if you chose. just as easy. I have both daws. This is just a feature I would love reason to get.

mreese80

04 Jul 2018

gdm41 wrote:
04 Jul 2018
In the meantime you can use Serato Sample.
I have serato. It's good but it's still limited. I use the mpc software all time. This is just a feature i would love reason to get. Would be a great feature for hip hop producers and others

mreese80

04 Jul 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
03 Jul 2018
mreese80 wrote:
03 Jul 2018

I have this feature in the akai mpc software and in ableton. It's just a feature that i would love to see Reason get. It's long overdue. But if they never get it i would be fine. Just saying...it would be a dope feature. Here's some videos man. While the audio is playing, you slice the audio in real time. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +lazy+chop

tt_lab

04 Jul 2018

mreese80 wrote:
04 Jul 2018
Yep. Mpc Software feature. You kow what i'm talking about. You have the mpc software as well. Your name is Trent right? Once upon a time me and you got on skype because i use my ren as a controller in reason. Is this isn't you even though i'm sure it is...disregard all that lol. I bring this up on here every blue moon. It would be nice to have this feature in Reason. Even though i don't use it much...it would be nice to have.
Yeah I am that person on Skype and did a video too I believe... hehe... but my name is not Trent, It's Asier(Basque name).

Anyway- I feel you about a more robust wave editor in Reason. I believe other DAWS have this feature at least to make the cuts while playing via a keyboard shortcut. That would be something. Plus a slice threshold changer(sensitivity I think it's called in recycle) and tools like that is where ,IMO, reason is laking the most.

mreese80

04 Jul 2018

tt_lab wrote:
04 Jul 2018
mreese80 wrote:
04 Jul 2018
Yeah I am that person on Skype and did a video too I believe... hehe... but my name is not Trent, It's Asier(Basque name).

Anyway- I feel you about a more robust wave editor in Reason. I believe other DAWS have this feature at least to make the cuts while playing via a keyboard shortcut. That would be something. Plus a slice threshold changer(sensitivity I think it's called in recycle) and tools like that is where ,IMO, reason is laking the most.
Yea, you did a video. And i had did everything right. It was Pete who told me wrong. He had told me i didn't need to update the firmware on my ren to put it in controller mode which was totally wrong. I don't know where i get Trent from. They should take notes from mpc software or Ableton. I can slice my audio in reason with no problem either way. It's just time for some updated audio editing features in reason. Idk why they are so slow on everything.

• Information