Activate entire track when editing midi

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
C//AZM

23 Jun 2018

When I have different clips of midi which comprise an entire track, I wish I didn't have to double click on each chunk to edit it.

For example I have an 8 bar section for the verse and a 16 bar section for the hook. I'm MIDI editing the entire track but concentrating on the verse part. Why is the hook portion greyed out and only accessible by activating it?
It's a pain in the ass when you have a lot of MIDI editing to do and especially when you're trying to work across bar lines. I know I could "Join" them then "Blade" them back apart, but I see no reason to ever have clips greyed out unless they're muted or inactivated.

What am I missing here?

antic604

25 Jun 2018

+1!

I got used to it eventually, but indeed it's a pretty weird decision to "separate" them like that

Creativemind

25 Jun 2018

Think the idea is, you select that clip therefore you're in that clip.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

selig
RE Developer

25 Jun 2018

+1 x2

This has been so unnecessary and annoying IMO since it was introduced.

To make matters worse…
After editing one track, when I go to edit a different MIDI track, I obviously want to EDIT MIDI on that track. But as it is, you cannot even do that without first double clicking a clip to edit. This makes no logical sense, and requires many more clicks than necessary just to switch edit tracks

This specific situation happens when you are currently editing one track and need to switch to another. The choices are: click on the left side of the next track you want to edit, then double click on the CLIP you want to edit. That’s three clicks where there should be one (3x more clicks than necessary).

OR, you could click out of edit mode and then double click on the next clip you want to edit (again 3x the number of clicks necessary).

How it SHOULD work is that clips (which ARE helpful), should be ignored when editing notes. At the top of the note edit window you can still select clips, which act as a ‘group’ allowing you to quickly select all data in that clip. But the note data itself is shown (and edited) as one contiguous block of data for the entire track. If you move a note start into another clip boundary, that note should move to that clip. But if the end of a note is all that crosses that boundary, the note should stay in the original clip.

Or to put it another way, the note data can be viewed (and edited) as it is heard. Look at how audio “takes” are displayed in the comp editor: all takes are shown as they are heard along the top row, and individually below.

As it is now with MIDI clips, in edit mode they are displayed as if all other clips other than the selected clip are muted, which is confusing, misleading, and unnecessary IMO.

Clips would be far more useful as a way to group and organize sections if they didn’t intrude with the note editing process.
:)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

25 Jun 2018

Creativemind wrote:Think the idea is, you select that clip therefore you're in that clip.
Actually, you double click a clip to “edit” it. Selecting it would require only a single click, and does not allow you to edit notes.

And in most cases, from a conceptual workflow level you select a TRACK to edit, which includes clips, which include notes. Having to keep double-clicking to continue editing a different part of that track seems ridiculous to me… ;(

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

craven

26 Jun 2018

yes, +1
:ugeek:

• Information