Mixer Update

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
jetpilot00

01 Jun 2018

I had this in another thread but this seems more appropriate.

I left Reason for the last two years simply to try another workflow that had integrated surface control. That was with Studio One and the Faderport 8. I also invested in a UAD interface and Softube's Console 1. Each of those pieces of hardware and software, individually, are phenomenal. As a grouped workflow, I can't stand it. There are simply too many excess downloads, programs, security, etc. that end up killing the experience for me.

I brought up Reason 9 for the first time in a LONG time about a week ago (I have two young kids so it's not only because I gave up on Reason, I simply didn't have enough time). I can honestly say that I have had more fun and ideas over the last week than I can remember and it got me very excited to work in Reason again.

Here is what I want:

1.) An upgraded experience for the mixer. The concept of the visual mixer is the best in the business but like other DAW's, you MUST have the ability to put any VST / RE in the channel strip. What I see is similar to putting in a device in the rack. Let me see a visual of the EQ, Gate, Compressor, ect. that I choose to use, not simply an outdated visual of a modeled SSL where the sound is not endorsed by SSL. I think that was the big turnoff for most is that while it looked great at the time and functioned properly, there was no way to change important aspects while keeping the visual experience. If the Props plan on having a static mixer in the future, have more models that are endorsed by the manufactures and give users a choice. Very similar to the Console 1 but with drop dead visuals.

2.) VST reliability for the big name brands. Reason HAS to work with UAD, Waves, etc. I know a lot of people don't like VST's (I was with you for the longest time until I started playing guitar through the UAD sim's). To me, UAD plug-in's in Reason is the perfect combination.

3.) Surface control, surface control, surface control!!! If the Props could design hardware as tightly integrated as the Faderport is with Studio One, they would rule the roost. A new mixer design with surface control, IMHO, would be a huge game changer. One rule, however; design it to look like it belongs on a professionals desk and not my desk as a hobby. The Faderport works perfectly......but looks so cheap.

I love Reason. Have used it since V.1 in 2000. They just simply need to partner up with others and truly become the one stop shop I think it can be.

-JP
***If life is a song, I've just passed the guitar solo.***

jimmyklane

01 Jun 2018

I’ve got my old digital console working as a control surface when I want it to. Occasionally I’ll work upon a song that so think I’m only sketching out with Reason instruments with the intention to farm the MIDI out to all my hardware.....but it ends up sounding fantastic as-is and so I leave it. if I’m not mistaken the old Digidesign ProControl could work in HUI mode, and would allow a tight integration. Any digital mixer that can send MIDI outs via its “fat channel” (the single breakout for eq, dynamics, etc) will work very well. These things go for $350-500 these days and can sideline as an amazing digital router, monitor contriller, and automated mixer should you ever want to play OTB.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

Ahornberg

02 Jun 2018

Have you tried my remotemap for Console 1?

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7493177&p=242431&h ... le#p242431

for me it works great

jetpilot00

03 Jun 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
02 Jun 2018

for me it works great
NO! I didn't know it existed. I'll have to give a go as soon as I get a chance. Thanks for the heads up. I also see that someone did a fantastic job with mapping the X-Touch over the last year or so.

I really wish there were more videos out there showing how hardware works with Reason.

-JP

jimmyklane

03 Jun 2018

jetpilot00 wrote:
03 Jun 2018
Ahornberg wrote:
02 Jun 2018

for me it works great
NO! I didn't know it existed. I'll have to give a go as soon as I get a chance. Thanks for the heads up. I also see that someone did a fantastic job with mapping the X-Touch over the last year or so.

I really wish there were more videos out there showing how hardware works with Reason.

-JP
I’m making a (hopefully) comprehensive video series “Exploring Reason”.... can you elaborate on your statement (I really wish there were more videos out there showing how hardware works with Reason.)???

Hardware synths? Control surfaces? What are we talking about here?
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

jetpilot00

03 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
03 Jun 2018
jetpilot00 wrote:
03 Jun 2018

-JP
I’m making a (hopefully) comprehensive video series “Exploring Reason”.... can you elaborate on your statement (I really wish there were more videos out there showing how hardware works with Reason.)???

Well, I think it would all be beneficial. For me, personally, I would like to see how digital mixers with DAW modes work within Reason. I know it might be overkill with the sheer amount of effects that would exist but I really think that is the future of home recording. The workflow is much quicker, to me, but nobody really knows what integration exists with each company as all of their features are different. Some have 8 faders that work in DAW mode, some up to 24 / 32 but only in HUI. It's extremely confusing and frustrating as the documentation really lacks.

Presonus has opened the floodgates with their StudioLive series in how it can capture an entire band with near zero latency, processed, recording and act as a tremendous surface controller but the design is unattractive to me. I think more and more designs are going to go that direction with full transport and DAW capabilities.

Next, I want to see, exactly, how existing surface controllers work within Reason. What features work, what don't. It's mind numbing to me that we are in 2018 and there isn't a product like the Faderport for Reason. Something like that should have existed within a year of when Record was announced. If they could have had a design like the SSL Nucleus, or even the X-Touch, fully integrated out of the box.........oh boy. Now, we have to have users re-code their work, payment free, simply to get a decent user experience that includes motorized faders, ect. Something that is not based on a midi controller such as the Nektar stuff.

I know that sounds like a tremendous amount of work and I might be interested in helping if I can get manufactures on board for testing. I just want more clarification on how hardware will work with Reason so I can make an informed decision.

Thanks for asking! That's step one. :)

-JP

botnotbot

04 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
03 Jun 2018
jetpilot00 wrote:
03 Jun 2018

-JP

Honestly the whole Remote concept is (potentially) confusing and powerful enough to deserve its own video.

As an aside, I have a sneaking suspicion that the Inevitable Audio Engine Upgrade is going to bring in some updates to Remote as well. I'm expecting them to adopt a sane serialization format for the Remote definitions, for one.

Also, it's funny that you brought it up, I was just thinking myself that Props should take some of that investor cash and get an actual SSL stamp of approval on their mixer.

I think that some of that money is also going to be used to develop some hardware products. It's interesting that Props are in the position to create different hardware categories all for a single software -- a mixer, a pad-based workstation a la MPC, and even potentially a keyboard line like Komplete Kontrol.

And, unlike all the VST based hosts, Props can pretty easily design a hardware host that will comfortably run all the REs in the shop. So these lines could be split into controller-only and standalone-capable models.

• Information