[request granted] Reason Rack as a VST

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
kitekrazy

13 Apr 2019

PeterP wrote:
13 Apr 2019
Jmax wrote:
11 Apr 2019
Reason as a VST will never happen. That just encourages others to use a different DAW, terrible business move.
Or maybe it makes all Ableton, Cubase and Logic users buy a copy of Reason and it's an excellent business move?

Native Instruments have their own sort of DAW in Maschine, imagine if Komplete was only available for that instead of all DAWs. Do you think NI would make more money?

Also, ReWire exists. Propellerheads came up with it. They want you to be able to use Reason together with other DAWs. It's just very inconvenient to do it currently.
That was already attempted with Rewire. Rewire use to be the thing at one time. If having a DAW as a VST was popular it would have been done by more developers. Only FL and EnergyXT have VSTs, I doubt you would see the above users buying a copy of Reason anytime soon because of being imported to VST,

If they import more Reason instruments to VST and make the price competitive that would work. I could see something like Redrum selling to less advanced users. It's very simple to use, choose your own sounds which so many emulators don't have. You wouldn't need a Kontakt license.

kuhliloach

13 Apr 2019

I wish this wasn't the case, but, this does make good sense. The core Reason product has become a giant pig with way too much lipstick on it. I feel like ever since they crudely dumped their (amazing) SSL emulation on top of the existing product Reason has been like having your refrigerator in the bathroom. Refrigerators? Important. Bathrooms? Important. But there is a right and wrong way to incorporate the two, and Propellerhead has yet to find it. Then there's the sequencer. Guh... Being able to enjoy the Rack in the context of a proper DAW does seem very attractive.

michal22

18 Apr 2019

I would also like it for four reasons:
1. Reason in rewire mode does not support delay compensation;
2. The players functionality in the rewire mode is incomplete;
3. Reason in rewire mode does not support VST;
4. Reason as VST would be easier to sampling in another DAW than the rewire version - you do not have to switch between the two programs.
For me, the rewire mode is unusable now. Too many things do not work.
Reason as VST plugin - I like this idea. :thumbs_up:
Ableton Live Suite 10 / Reason 10 / Windows 10 / Fingers - also 10 ;)

PeterP

18 Apr 2019

Also, ReWire only works for midi in, audio out so you're limited to synths.

It doesn't work if you wanted to use Reason as a effect unit. It's a shame since there are some really nice ones like Alligator, Neptune and Synchronous that I'd like to use inside Ableton.

Oquasec

18 Apr 2019

Yeah some daws actually lost these features cuz they disable their bridges for the host's bridge.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

michal22

18 Apr 2019

PeterP wrote:
18 Apr 2019
Also, ReWire only works for midi in, audio out so you're limited to synths.

It doesn't work if you wanted to use Reason as a effect unit. It's a shame since there are some really nice ones like Alligator, Neptune and Synchronous that I'd like to use inside Ableton.
Exactly. I agree in 100%. This is another good reason for the VST Reason. :)
Ableton Live Suite 10 / Reason 10 / Windows 10 / Fingers - also 10 ;)

Crumbfort

17 May 2019

I still daydream about this daily... a Combinator VST with audio in, MIDI out... ah, would be brilliant.
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

Oquasec

17 May 2019

So far Cubase treats rewire like Reason is a plugin and I am really loving it.
Producer/Programmer.

Jackjackdaw

17 May 2019

Oquasec wrote:
17 May 2019
Can you record the midi from a Reason player into the Cubase sequencer?

Oquasec

17 May 2019

Yep. The thing clamps onto Reason like it's reason.
Even works exactly like recycle.
The routing is instant.
Producer/Programmer.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

18 May 2019

Oquasec wrote:
17 May 2019
Nice to hear (Just got Cubase Pro myself)! After all Steinberg and PH developed Rewire together, so would expect it to work tight.

In the last year I have bought several VSTs that also exists as REs. A "VST combinator" would have me rethink that. But they way PH could open up the market to non-Reason users if they could put the REs in their DAW of choice with a VST wrapper - seems like a huge business opportunity to me. I don't know the Reason market share, but lets say it is around 10%. A VST wrapper and the accessible market is now x10 bigger. Come to think of it, weird that they haven't done it yet.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Oquasec

18 May 2019

SteinBerg is this but with all the vst focus & midi channels.
Propellerhead is literally doing what steinberg did but for their own analog simulations.
Producer/Programmer.

Crumbfort

18 May 2019

Boombastix wrote:
18 May 2019
Oquasec wrote:
17 May 2019
Nice to hear (Just got Cubase Pro myself)! After all Steinberg and PH developed Rewire together, so would expect it to work tight.

In the last year I have bought several VSTs that also exists as REs. A "VST combinator" would have me rethink that. But they way PH could open up the market to non-Reason users if they could put the REs in their DAW of choice with a VST wrapper - seems like a huge business opportunity to me. I don't know the Reason market share, but lets say it is around 10%. A VST wrapper and the accessible market is now x10 bigger. Come to think of it, weird that they haven't done it yet.
I buy a fair amount of REs already, but if there was a VST Combinator of sorts I would DEFINITELY buy way more.
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

Crumbfort

31 Jul 2019

It's been a bit, so I figured I'd bump this. I think about this quite a lot (big nerd that I am).

While I am really looking forward to what Reason 11 may bring, a Combinator VST is still my dream feature request. It would just be... amazing.

Creativemind

07 Aug 2019

How would you automate the individual parameters in the other daw that Reason VST was loaded in?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

xylyx

09 Aug 2019

Metaplugin has its own automation parameters - you can map any contained plugins parameters to Metaplugin's, so I would think that the same could be done with a Combinator VST.

owlymane

09 Aug 2019

The more I'm reading this topic the more the idea of rack VST is making sense. Do you think each instrument/channel in the rack VST can have its own mixer channel in the other DAWs? Since the rack is the VST would that mean that the whole rack would come out from one mixer channel? Enlighten me on this please

Jackjackdaw

09 Aug 2019

I would imagine it would work like a drum machine VST. I’m thinking of Groove Agent which can output a stereo pair and individual drum tracks.

Doesn’t seem likely to me that Props will go down this road though.

owlymane

09 Aug 2019

Jackjackdaw wrote:
09 Aug 2019
I would imagine it would work like a drum machine VST. I’m thinking of Groove Agent which can output a stereo pair and individual drum tracks.

Doesn’t seem likely to me that Props will go down this road though.
I see. Thx for the info :thumbs_up:

Crumbfort

26 Aug 2019

PhillipOrdonez

26 Aug 2019

We were onto something 😂

Can't wait for the end of the month!

Loque

26 Aug 2019

Soo...when can ppl buy a single RE and use it another DAW?
Reason12, Win10

dandandaaan

26 Aug 2019

I'm feeling very, very smug (and hyped!) right now.
singer/songwriter with electronic tendencies

http://pointsmusic.bandcamp.com/
https://soundcloud.com/points_music

Logic / Ableton Live / Reason Rack / Nord Stage 2 / Moog Grandmother / Eurorack / Guitars, drums, toys

Ahornberg

26 Aug 2019

Grain and Parsec are the 2 instruments I always wanted to use in Bitwig (no Rewire here). Now this will be possibe soon.

PhillipOrdonez

26 Aug 2019

I wonder if it will be possible to use it as an effect unit as well? I hope so!

Edit: for anyone interested, YES! There is a effect option of the plugin so wet can use our Reason effects to treat other stuff in other daws!!!
Last edited by PhillipOrdonez on 26 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.

• Information