Matrix 2

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Voyager

09 May 2018

The Matrix has been one of my long time little companion during my Reason experience and still is. Despite we saw new great sequencer devices coming to Reason still the Matrix is my go to sequencer.

So why Matrix ? First of all you may not like it's functionnality but you like it's style..Yeah, Matrix look badass and look like coming out straight from a Predator outfit, Matrix in my rack make it look like a beast !

Predator agree Image

Second, what i like about matrix compared to other sequencer is that it does monophonic lines, on other sequencer when randomize ( if available ) you have to edit some patterns to get monophonic lines and it can be quite quickly boring. Of course a polyphonic switch option in Matrix would be a hell of a feature ( hope the echoes reach Propellerhead quarter offices ).

And not last but not least one of the strongest point of the Matrix and the main reason i'm still using it it's his quality gate coupled with randomize function and that very useful alter function too. I can hear you... some other sequencer have those things too you noob..

Yeah, some may but not as smooth as Matrix. I've notice that the gate/velocity of the Matrix is smooth as hell and when randomize you still get that neat progression and natual sound were other sequencer gate (if not at 100%) tend to "chop" the sound and make it less natural. I'm able to get some incredible results in matter of second with the Matrix while i'm struggling with other sequencers.

Matrix in my opinion is a wonderful little sequencer and has a tons of path to make it even greater. I would love to see Propellerhead put this thing out of the dust and implement some new features on it while keeping the existant quality the Matrix has today.

seqoi

09 May 2018

I think now that Players are in SDK that we will see many "Matrix" alike tools which surpass initial Matrix. Just look at Player Euclidian and how cool it is looking. Observe how can you interact with screen on that player. My guess is that we will see new sequencers in Player format quite soon.

Nielsen

09 May 2018

An updated version would have to consider greater visibility of the relationship between individual keys and sequencer lanes. Great tool nonetheless.

sdst
Competition Winner

09 May 2018

Kompulsion Player

don't waste time waiting for Matrix 2

Voyager

09 May 2018

seqoi wrote:
09 May 2018

I think now that Players are in SDK that we will see many "Matrix" alike tools which surpass initial Matrix. Just look at Player Euclidian and how cool it is looking. Observe how can you interact with screen on that player. My guess is that we will see new sequencers in Player format quite soon.

sdst wrote:
09 May 2018

Kompulsion Player

Funny enough i've made this post after testing the new players sequencers. But i'll still get Kompulsion because i found it another purpose.

Still in my opinion when it to comes build a monophonic melody nothing come close to Matrix randomize gate/velocity natural progression and smoothness.

seqoi

09 May 2018

sdst wrote:
09 May 2018
Kompulsion Player

Actually you are right i just tried it more extensively and it does have all features i wanted. It's just a little bit clunky/tiny to work with but everything is there indeed.

electrofux

09 May 2018

While i really want a better Drumsequencer than the one they just delivered. In terms of Note Sequencer we have two VERY good options in Kompulsion and StepNote Recorder.
But i allways support more sequencers ;-)

O1B

09 May 2018

What you said

Kompulsion is beautiful. A work of Art.
But the Matrix is simple Genius.

Hard to replicate - even in the Real World.... just like ...

Edit: I have Propulsion... not Kompulsion...
Holy Cow - that's extensive. Depends on ones workflow, methinks.

still, pulling out a Matrix - better yet a Color Matrix 2 - ...
that's a lotta 'U's on that screen - compared to a Matrix - for the quick and dirty moments...

Positive Ill be getting Kompulsion, though.
Voyager wrote:
09 May 2018
Still in my opinion when it to comes build a monophonic melody nothing come close to Matrix randomize gate/velocity natural progression and smoothness.
Last edited by O1B on 09 May 2018, edited 1 time in total.

electrofux

09 May 2018

O1B wrote:
09 May 2018
What you said

Kompulsion is beautiful. A work of Art.
But the Matrix is simple Genius.

Hard to replicate - even in the Real World.... just like ...
Voyager wrote:
09 May 2018
Have to admit though that Matrix was allways to small to click the right notes. And yeah i forgot Thor which has a beautiful Sequencer which i use alot - with a remote codec though.

O1B

09 May 2018

I concur on the mis-clicks 'n things... but that's also Props UI glitchiness, too.

But to play a snare - or step sequence a snare with one Matrix - it can sound so so real . for 3-4U.
Bass Drum...

maybe a µKompulsion....?

I OCD when I use Lactic Panda... so Kompression would lock me an inescapable vortex.
electrofux wrote:
09 May 2018
Have to admit though that Matrix was allways to small to click the right notes. And yeah i forgot Thor which has a beautiful Sequencer which i use alot - with a remote codec though.

Voyager

09 May 2018

Kompulsion is close to get that ultimate sequencer sticker but there is still a small gap.

First off a monophonic option would be welcome in Kompulsion. Also the gate ( aka length in Kompulsion ) sort of "on/off" should be revisited in my opinion.

About the gate differences between Matrix and Kompulsion, for the later one in order to get the full gate ( length ) note you have to have set it at 100% because below that value it start already to "chop" the note and there is like no progression anymore. While in Matrix even when you have the gate at lets say 60% the note still has that neat progression and natural little gated effect.

This can become even more obvious when you have gated notes follow by non gated notes, what happend is that Matrix plays it in a coherent and natural single sustain note even if the gate isn't set at 100%. On other sequencers i have difficulties to achieve that clean rolling sustain effect.

So come the part when randomzing and because the gate/tie effect is so well implemented in Matrix you can found quick good melodie without adjusting those settings like i would do in other sequencers.

O1B

09 May 2018

If you don't mind, outside of the Matrix, what are your next best two step sequencers? VST, RE, or otherwise.
Im interested. You obviously know your step sequencers.

Thanks.
Voyager wrote:
09 May 2018
Kompulsion is close to get that ultimate sequencer sticker but there is still a small gap.

... in Matrix you can found quick good melodie without adjusting those settings like i would do in other sequencers.

tanni

09 May 2018

yes a Matrix 2 please....
The only what I miss in the old Matrix Sequencer or in other Players like Kompulsion is, that I want to have more Notes / Octave-ranges at the same time visible. Minimum is two Octaves on the display. Matrix has one and I have to switch all the time between the Octaves...thats a pain!!
Kompulsion has a few notes more than one Octave, but not enough....so Im waiting for a Matrix 2 Player which are offer this possibility. Maybe additional make the black keys rows in a different tone of colour. Thats better for seeing were are the notes are while programming/clicking the individual sequencer notes.

O1B

09 May 2018

Matrix 2 would have a Quantize to Scale (all 66! or so - like, AutoARP!!) so only wanted pitches are shown.... on a expression wheel-type rotary
... maybe unloosen it from the lifeline... just a little.

I can hope.

,.. or is hope so... yesterday...
tanni wrote:
09 May 2018
yes a Matrix 2 please....
The only what I miss in the old Matrix Sequencer or in other Players like Kompulsion is, that I want to have more Notes / Octave-ranges at the same time visible. Minimum is two Octaves on the display. Matrix has one and I have to switch all the time between the Octaves...thats a pain!!
Kompulsion has a few notes more than one Octave, but not enough....so Im waiting for a Matrix 2 Player which are offer this possibility. Maybe additional make the black keys rows in a different tone of colour. Thats better for seeing were are the notes are while programming/clicking the individual sequencer notes.

Loque

09 May 2018

You ever tried Matrix with a Player like Chords&Scales? Or any other CV generator?
Reason12, Win10

EdGrip

11 May 2018

I liked the idea of Matrix when I first got Reason, but it's so tiny and fiddly that I stopped using it for drum or note sequencing. Still handy for stepped CV sequencing!

I look forward to having Drum Sequencer or Kompulsion (or who knows what's in the Players pipeline!) to experiment with.

Voyager

11 May 2018

O1B wrote:
09 May 2018

If you don't mind, outside of the Matrix, what are your next best two step sequencers? VST, RE, or otherwise.
Im interested. You obviously know your step sequencers.

Thanks.

I don't use VST at all. For now i'm using two sequencers for different purposes, Matrix for melodies stuff and Kompulsion for drums/fx's. For melodies i've tried many other sequencers but couldn't get interesting sounds as with the Matrix. Of course i'm not using the Matrix alone for that i use other devices to shape the sound of it because Matrix alone lack of many features and the reason why i would like to see a Matrix 2 with the same quality randomization/alter and gate-tie/velocity.

Loque wrote:
09 May 2018

You ever tried Matrix with a Player like Chords&Scales? Or any other CV generator?

Of course and that's were Matrix start to shine. As i said above i never use Matrix alone, i have a group of devices a use with it to shape/adjust the sound. About Chord&Scales i'm not use it very much with Matrix because when it comes to sequenced melodies i prefer them to be monophonic rahter than polyphonic but it need experimentation sometimes and usually the color function can give some good results.

With Matrix i'll use echo more than any other player right now. As for CV generators i use CV tuner and Step Note Recorder.

EdGrip wrote:
11 May 2018

I liked the idea of Matrix when I first got Reason, but it's so tiny and fiddly that I stopped using it for drum or note sequencing. Still handy for stepped CV sequencing!

I look forward to having Drum Sequencer or Kompulsion (or who knows what's in the Players pipeline!) to experiment with.

I use Kompulsion for drums and i'll choose it over Drum sequencer any time.

Loque

11 May 2018

I am pretty sure you have PSQ, you would love it...
Reason12, Win10

Voyager

13 May 2018

Loque wrote:
11 May 2018

Tried but doesn't work for me..

Loque

13 May 2018

Voyager wrote:
13 May 2018
Loque wrote:
11 May 2018

Tried but doesn't work for me..
Oh...why? I needed a bit of time to get warm with PSQ.
Reason12, Win10

• Information