Double-Sized Rack Devices

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
hurricane
Competition Winner

20 Mar 2018

Like this, where the device takes up two full racks - would look perfect on my 2K screen:
extended-rack.jpg
extended-rack.jpg (936.68 KiB) Viewed 734 times

Tired of this tiny crap:

normalrack.jpg
normalrack.jpg (599.28 KiB) Viewed 734 times
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

lakinlakin

21 Mar 2018

Good idea.

Loque

21 Mar 2018

Yea, i like that too. Now allow also half-rack and devs should use more of switchable and expandable panels and we can have lot more controls in a device or have bigger displays.
Reason12, Win10

fieldframe
RE Developer

22 Mar 2018

What you're proposing is a different UI scale for rack devices. The examples you show are basically 1:1 versions of 19" rack units, while Reason's rack units have always been maybe 1:3 or 1:4 scale versions of 19" rack units, depending on the density of your monitor.

Most of the 1:1 devices in your example would work as scaled-down Reason rack devices so long as the font sizes were increased to the Reason standard - there's really no reason for them to be that big other than that the text is too small to read when scaled down. A few of them might have crowded enough controls that they'd need to be broken up vertically (making a taller rack unit), but I don't see a good case here for double-wide rack devices.

What I'd like to see is for Reason to adopt a slightly larger scale for its rack (maybe ~1:2) which would give UI designers a little more breathing room when squeezing in dense labels and controls.

antic604

23 Mar 2018

Well, I'd rather Reason to just have an internal zoom (like Live or Bitwig), ideally separate for sequencer, mixer and rack. And 4K assets so that we don't get blocky bit-maps at higher zoom levels.

Also, regarding your 2K monitor - Reason follows Windows' scaling (I believe it's in personalisation options under right-click on the desktop), so maybe set that up higher than 100% (or whatever you have) and see if it helps. It gets a bit blurry at 'uneven' levels (like 125%, 175%) but it's a compromise we have to live with.

• Information