What's This Feature Called

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Creativemind

25 Feb 2018

Hi All!

Now not sure what this feature is called,

It's from FL Studio and it's so damn handy.

It's a method of copying clips where they aren't a unique copy. So it remembers the colour, labelling and midi / audio information of that clip and they all are the same clip, not a completely new copy of that clip if that makes sense.

So if you have 20 clip copies on a track and you use this method of cooying and then decide to change the colouring, labelling or midi / audio information in that clip, all 20 clips change without the need to delete the other 19 clips and remember where the other clips were and recopy and paste.

I would love this feature in Reason. It saves so much time and having to remember where the other clips are.

In FL Studio (and I'm sure other daws do this too, been told Logic does) but if you want to change the notes later on in the track without them all changing, you choose Make Unique from a menu and then it changes that clip to a new unique one with the same clip label with #1 after it. So if you had a clip labelled, "Atmospheric Pad Sound" it would then relabel the new unique clip, "Atmospheric Pad Sound#1". Then you can relabel it and colour it accordingly after.

Does anyone know what this feature is called? I thought Cloning Clips but not sure.

Thanks!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

madmacman

25 Feb 2018

I have proposed this feature before. Apple Logic calls it "Alias", other DAW's "Ghost clips" (iirc - Cubase?) - but this naming might be confused with FL Ghost clips, which means something different.

And not always they have the full set of "ghosted/copied" features as you mention. Most of the incarnations are only referencing the original midi data and nothing else. But even this would be a welcome improvement (and would have saved me a messed song I recorded earlier this year - I simply overlooked a copied clip where I screwed up quantize)

pushedbutton

25 Feb 2018

If you bounce a clip it becomes unique.
Not quite what you're looking for but that's how it's done in Reason.
Let's call it a Dave.
You can make as many Daves as you like.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

madmacman

25 Feb 2018

pushedbutton wrote:
25 Feb 2018
If you bounce a clip it becomes unique.
Wrong thread?

We're discussing here derivations of an "original" clip. With only a single place to change an infinite number of copies.

And just to be sure: We are here in the "feature request" subforum, right? ;)

-008'

25 Feb 2018

Well.. my first two response attempts were more detailed. but i am getting logged out everytime i hit "preview" :x so this one is going to be quick. lol.

BLOCKS is the only way in Reason to get the kind of workflow you are describing. No, its not as fast or the same thing.

Flesh out the song in blocks first. (intro, chorus, vrs, etc)
Now, when you would like to go and make a block unique, just write/record/paste new clips over top of the block, back in the song view.
Use blank ones for mutes! ;)

There was more but i forgot.. :mrgreen:
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

Creativemind

25 Feb 2018

madmacman wrote:
25 Feb 2018
I have proposed this feature before. Apple Logic calls it "Alias", other DAW's "Ghost clips" (iirc - Cubase?) - but this naming might be confused with FL Ghost clips, which means something different.

And not always they have the full set of "ghosted/copied" features as you mention. Most of the incarnations are only referencing the original midi data and nothing else. But even this would be a welcome improvement (and would have saved me a messed song I recorded earlier this year - I simply overlooked a copied clip where I screwed up quantize)
Thanks madmacman.

I was gonna say is it called "Ghost Clips"? So it's called Alias in Logic, will have to see if I can find any vids on it. Would love to see it in action in another daw.

Yeah Ghost Channels in FL Studio's piano roll is another brilliant thing, that's a much needed Midi Editor feature we could do with for Reason.

madmacman

25 Feb 2018

I have found a video explaining the Logic Alias (I already have set video to the right starting point):

miscend

25 Feb 2018

Clone clips?
Mirror clips?

Creativemind

25 Feb 2018

madmacman wrote:
25 Feb 2018
I have found a video explaining the Logic Alias (I already have set video to the right starting point):

Thank you!

Great feature.

Gorgon

25 Feb 2018

Creativemind wrote:
25 Feb 2018
Hi All!

It's a method of copying clips where they aren't a unique copy. So it remembers the colour, labelling and midi / audio information of that clip and they all are the same clip, not a completely new copy of that clip if that makes sense.

So if you have 20 clip copies on a track and you use this method of cooying and then decide to change the colouring, labelling or midi / audio information in that clip, all 20 clips change without the need to delete the other 19 clips and remember where the other clips were and recopy and paste.

I would love this feature in Reason. It saves so much time and having to remember where the other clips are.

In FL Studio (and I'm sure other daws do this too, been told Logic does) but if you want to change the notes later on in the track without them all changing, you choose Make Unique from a menu and then it changes that clip to a new unique one with the same clip label with #1 after it. So if you had a clip labelled, "Atmospheric Pad Sound" it would then relabel the new unique clip, "Atmospheric Pad Sound#1". Then you can relabel it and colour it accordingly after.

Does anyone know what this feature is called? I thought Cloning Clips but not sure.

Thanks!
I think that you should stop talking out of your ass and start with making music.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Karim
Competition Winner

26 Feb 2018

miscend wrote:Clone clips?
Mirror clips?
Seems you'd like to have same functions as cards on Clash Royale [emoji38]

Inviato dal mio SM-G935F utilizzando Tapatalk

Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

Karim
Competition Winner

26 Feb 2018

Gorgon wrote:
Creativemind wrote:
25 Feb 2018
Hi All!

Thanks!
I think that you should stop talking out of your ass and start with making music.
So rude of you... what is wrong to explain an useful function present in most of DAWS out there over years?

Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

antic604

26 Feb 2018

Yes, it's mirror / ghost / alias / linked clips and it was requested numerous times.

I think it isn't there in Reason because of Blocks, that serve similar function but across a vertical slice of the arrangement and not per-clip. Frankly, I'd love to have both, because both are very useful in their own right.

However, it recently dawned on me - and I was shocked by the revelation - that Reason clips don't have names or at least unique numbers, which means it would be very hard to have them linked visually :(

madmacman

26 Feb 2018

antic604 wrote:
26 Feb 2018
However, it recently dawned on me - and I was shocked by the revelation - that Reason clips don't have names or at least unique numbers, which means it would be very hard to have them linked visually :(
But you don't mean "Clip Labels", do you? Mark clip --> right click --> clip labels

antic604

26 Feb 2018

madmacman wrote:
26 Feb 2018
antic604 wrote:
26 Feb 2018
But you don't mean "Clip Labels", do you? Mark clip --> right click --> clip labels
Ha! Wasn't aware of this, thanks a lot! :)

Creativemind

26 Feb 2018

And there leads me to another simple feature missing from Reason, to have the clip automatically labelled when you name a track.

fieldframe
RE Developer

26 Feb 2018

Karim wrote:
26 Feb 2018
Gorgon wrote:
So rude of you... what is wrong to explain an useful function present in most of DAWS out there over years?

This forum has a great block-list feature - you can just click on a username, and then under that user's profile, click "add foe" and their posts will always be hidden for you (unless someone else quotes them). It really helps cut down the noise.

Back to the purpose of this thread, I hope Propellerhead adds linked clips alongside a full clip launcher.

QVprod

26 Feb 2018

It's already been mentioned that Blocks basically does this (though for entire sections instead of only single clips). As far as making a unique clip you can simply copy the midi clip from the block and paste it over the block in the sequencer lane and make the changes. The sequencer will then play that clip instead of the one in the block. It's not the same but aside from the ability to have separate unrelated aliased clips play together, the result is fairly similar.

antic604

27 Feb 2018

QVprod wrote:
26 Feb 2018
As far as making a unique clip you can simply copy the midi clip from the block and paste it over the block in the sequencer lane and make the changes. The sequencer will then play that clip instead of the one in the block. It's not the same but aside from the ability to have separate unrelated aliased clips play together, the result is fairly similar.
We're asking for something completely opposite - to be able to have linked duplicates of clip, so for example if I have a hi-hat pattern that repeats in several blocks, currently - when I change it - I need to go to every block and update it. With Alias Clips changing the original clip carries over to all of its linked copies, regardless whether they're in other blocks or stand-alone in sequencer.

QVprod

27 Feb 2018

antic604 wrote:
27 Feb 2018
QVprod wrote:
26 Feb 2018
As far as making a unique clip you can simply copy the midi clip from the block and paste it over the block in the sequencer lane and make the changes. The sequencer will then play that clip instead of the one in the block. It's not the same but aside from the ability to have separate unrelated aliased clips play together, the result is fairly similar.
We're asking for something completely opposite - to be able to have linked duplicates of clip, so for example if I have a hi-hat pattern that repeats in several blocks, currently - when I change it - I need to go to every block and update it. With Alias Clips changing the original clip carries over to all of its linked copies, regardless whether they're in other blocks or stand-alone in sequencer.
I'm completely aware of that. But they're not really opposites. It's similar functionality though not the same. I stated above ^ "but aside from the ability to have separate unrelated aliased clips play together, the result is fairly similar." That follows that patterns in different blocks would have to be changed manually. Whether that makes a big difference or not would depend entirely on individual workflow.

antic604

27 Feb 2018

QVprod wrote:
27 Feb 2018
antic604 wrote:
27 Feb 2018

I'm completely aware of that. But they're not really opposites. It's similar functionality though not the same. I stated above ^ "but aside from the ability to have separate unrelated aliased clips play together, the result is fairly similar." That follows that patterns in different blocks would have to be changed manually. Whether that makes a big difference or not would depend entirely on individual workflow.
Yes, you're right. In the end it's less work to update the hi-hat pattern in - say - 5 Blocks, than go through the whole 5+ minutes song and update 50+ instances of where it was used :)

What bugs me though with Blocks is they seem "unfinished", despite those being very easy to fix:
- you can't (easily - with a key stroke or right-click option) make a duplicate of existing Block to a new one, to alter it,
- you can't select vertical slice of existing arrangement and make a new Block out of it,
- (visually) there's too big contrast between Block clips in arrangement (faint, grey outlines) & unique arranger clips added on top of it (bold, bright colours),
- why is there even a limited number of Blocks?

QVprod

27 Feb 2018

antic604 wrote:
27 Feb 2018
QVprod wrote:
27 Feb 2018

Yes, you're right. In the end it's less work to update the hi-hat pattern in - say - 5 Blocks, than go through the whole 5+ minutes song and update 50+ instances of where it was used :)

What bugs me though with Blocks is they seem "unfinished", despite those being very easy to fix:
- you can't (easily - with a key stroke or right-click option) make a duplicate of existing Block to a new one, to alter it,
- you can't select vertical slice of existing arrangement and make a new Block out of it,
- (visually) there's too big contrast between Block clips in arrangement (faint, grey outlines) & unique arranger clips added on top of it (bold, bright colours),
- why is there even a limited number of Blocks?
Yeah that would be a lot. I never have 50 unique sections in a song though so that's pain I'll probably never experience. I suppose that answers why there's a limited number of Blocks though. In the typical song format there's Intro, Verse, Chorus, Bridge, and Outro. Sometimes the 2nd verse and 2nd or 3rd choruses can be different enough to use a different block (instead of overlaying the difference) but essentially that's max of about 7 different song sections. I think Props intended their use for that purpose, which would make 32 blocks quite generous. Now of course more electronic genres probably differ from that a bit where some (like yourself) find a need to use Blocks more heavily than that. I had no clue there was a limited number until you stated it.

Creativemind

21 Mar 2018

antic604 wrote:
26 Feb 2018
madmacman wrote:
26 Feb 2018

Ha! Wasn't aware of this, thanks a lot! :)

It still should be auromatically named when you name the track.

jmp909

05 Jul 2022

Maschine does blocks (scenes) / patterns a lot better in my opinion. If I’ve got a 1 bar beat and a 4 bar chord pattern, it’ll loop the 1 bar beat automatically

And all patterns are basically shared copies.

There are still a bunch of issues with it (no separate automation lanes etc), but I just find it overall better than the Reason workflow

It surprises me that given many devices like Redrum and Matrix have an A1-H8 pattern system they couldn’t have at least somehow reused some form of this for polyphonic midi clips. Sure PolyStep addresses some of this but that’s a paid extra for something that I think should be core functionality
546ABEB7-92A0-4CB8-BE7E-C40054686CAD.jpeg
546ABEB7-92A0-4CB8-BE7E-C40054686CAD.jpeg (61.87 KiB) Viewed 2447 times

• Information