[Shift+]TAB to cycle through screens

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
antic604

21 Dec 2017

Since I work on laptop, I'm used to move between DAW screens - in Live 9 and Bitwig 2 - using TAB key. I know that we have F5-F7 to do this, but I can't seem to get used to that and always have to think for a second which one I need to hit (not to mention I hit TAB first...).

My proposal would be to add the following keyboard shortcuts:
- TAB - switch between Sequencer and Rack (and back),
- Shift+TAB - switch between whatever screen is currently open and Mixer (and back),

As a bonus, I'd love to get an option to hide those grey bars / dividers at the top of Sequencer, Rack & Mixer (and Browser, while we're at it) - I could easily squeeze one more track on screen and see one more device if they weren't there:

A lot of people work on laptops and we'd really appreciate more economic use of screen reale-state, obviously without crippling the flexibility for more serious, pro users with their dual / triple monitor setups, some of which are tilted 90-degrees :)

AttenuationHz

21 Dec 2017

Well alt+tab already switches between window on Windows at least. I agree F5-7 is out of the way though much easier detaching all windows and using Alt+Tab. I'm fairly certain you can use autohotkey to remap F5,6+7 to shift and tab or some other shortcut. I don't use it myself so I don't know how to do it.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

antic604

21 Dec 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
21 Dec 2017
Well alt+tab already switches between window on Windows at least. I agree F5-7 is out of the way though much easier detaching all windows and using Alt+Tab. I'm fairly certain you can use autohotkey to remap F5,6+7 to shift and tab or some other shortcut. I don't use it myself so I don't know how to do it.
Alt+TAB, yes it's a generic Windows shortcut, but I'm a pretty visual person and the inconsistency between screens bothers me, in particular the fact that - when detached - Mixer doesn't have the browser and transport bar.

Regarding AutoHotkey it's a good tip - need to try it out!

AttenuationHz

21 Dec 2017

antic604 wrote:
21 Dec 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
21 Dec 2017
Alt+TAB, yes it's a generic Windows shortcut, but I'm a pretty visual person and the inconsistency between screens bothers me, in particular the fact that - when detached - Mixer doesn't have the browser and transport bar.

Regarding AutoHotkey it's a good tip - need to try it out!
Mixer is not supposed to have transport or browser it is supposed to be on the sequencer. Rack has both but I never have transport turned on there myself I use the browser there and have it turned off in the sequencer. You can control most if not all of what you need to from the keyboard anyway.

You're missing out on a lot of space not having them detached tbh, If I was still on a laptop myself I would prefer to have the most space always found the attached views too cramped. I would give the detached view a go! I think you might find it to be much better for workflow imo. When I used a laptop I arrange like so: Single rack with the browser at the side transport off, window as narrow as possible placed on the top left of screen but leave a gap at the bottom for the sequencer's transport bar. Mixer window gap at bottom on the top right, then sequencer with no browser on most of the screen with a small gap for the window banners on rack/mixer. Clicking the bottom on the transport will bring up the sequencer top left rack right mixer or alt+tab.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

antic604

21 Dec 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
21 Dec 2017
You're missing out on a lot of space not having them detached tbh, If I was still on a laptop myself I would prefer to have the most space always found the attached views too cramped.
I know! That's why I'm asking for those options. Just like they've added the ability to hide the "thumbnail bars" on the right of the Rack and Mixer, they could add an option to hide those dividers.
AttenuationHz wrote:
21 Dec 2017
I would give the detached view a go! I think you might find it to be much better for workflow imo. When I used a laptop I arrange like so: Single rack with the browser at the side transport off, window as narrow as possible placed on the top left of screen but leave a gap at the bottom for the sequencer's transport bar. Mixer window gap at bottom on the top right, then sequencer with no browser on most of the screen with a small gap for the window banners on rack/mixer. Clicking the bottom on the transport will bring up the sequencer top left rack right mixer or alt+tab.
Thanks for the suggestion, but that sounds very messy and more like a hack than a genuinely comfortable way to work. I'm a visual person - using Reason after all, right? - and I like things to be neatly aligned, proportional, etc. Just give me an option to hide those dividers and easily flick between areas and I'll be super happy.

I'll check your suggestion, though. I did once already and didn't liked it, but maybe it'll click this time :)

AttenuationHz

21 Dec 2017

antic604 wrote:
21 Dec 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
21 Dec 2017
You're missing out on a lot of space not having them detached tbh, If I was still on a laptop myself I would prefer to have the most space always found the attached views too cramped.
I know! That's why I'm asking for those options. Just like they've added the ability to hide the "thumbnail bars" on the right of the Rack and Mixer, they could add an option to hide those dividers.
AttenuationHz wrote:
21 Dec 2017
I would give the detached view a go! I think you might find it to be much better for workflow imo. When I used a laptop I arrange like so: Single rack with the browser at the side transport off, window as narrow as possible placed on the top left of screen but leave a gap at the bottom for the sequencer's transport bar. Mixer window gap at bottom on the top right, then sequencer with no browser on most of the screen with a small gap for the window banners on rack/mixer. Clicking the bottom on the transport will bring up the sequencer top left rack right mixer or alt+tab.
Thanks for the suggestion, but that sounds very messy and more like a hack than a genuinely comfortable way to work. I'm a visual person - using Reason after all, right? - and I like things to be neatly aligned, proportional, etc. Just give me an option to hide those dividers and easily flick between areas and I'll be super happy.

I'll check your suggestion, though. I did once already and didn't liked it, but maybe it'll click this time :)
Hacked.JPG
Hacked.JPG (171.78 KiB) Viewed 540 times

• Information