VST window suggestions

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
joeyluck

24 Nov 2017

Reason Preference for VST windows to 'stay open' by default

Whenever I open a VST window, I like for it to stay open until I close it. Having it disappear when clicking elsewhere or having to click 'stay open' after opening the window feels clunky. I realize some might prefer this behavior, but maybe then having it as a Reason Preference would be a good idea?

Also, when someone opens a VST window and then minimizes it, that certainly means they'd like to keep it around. It's an odd behavior to open something, minimize the window, and then see it disappear from the dock (having forgot the additional step of selecting for it to stay open). Having the option above would be optimal and solve this, but if not, at least maybe 'stay open' can be auto-selected when a window is minimized?

Replace/refresh open VST windows with exchanged VSTs

Would it be possible when a VST window is in the 'keep open' state, to have it replaced when a VST is changed?
For instance, if I'm working with a VST with the window open and I change that VST, it would be nice if that window was refreshed with the new VST. Rather than having to open the window again.

Remember VST window position when replacing VSTs

When changing VSTs, aside from having to reopen the window, the position is also reset. So if you had a VST on a separate screen and then replace the VST, the window will not pop-up on that screen. Would it be possible to remember the position when replacing a VST; such as based on the upper-left corner of the VST window? Would this behavior have to be an option? Or perhaps only a behavior when the VST is changed with the window open?

AttenuationHz

24 Nov 2017

joeyluck wrote:
24 Nov 2017
Reason Preference for VST windows to 'stay open' by default

Whenever I open a VST window, I like for it to stay open until I close it. Having it disappear when clicking elsewhere or having to click 'stay open' after opening the window feels clunky. I realize some might prefer this behavior, but maybe then having it as a Reason Preference would be a good idea?

Also, when someone opens a VST window and then minimizes it, that certainly means they'd like to keep it around. It's an odd behavior to open something, minimize the window, and then see it disappear from the dock (having forgot the additional step of selecting for it to stay open). Having the option above would be optimal and solve this, but if not, at least maybe 'stay open' can be auto-selected when a window is minimized?

Replace/refresh open VST windows with exchanged VSTs

Would it be possible when a VST window is in the 'keep open' state, to have it replaced when a VST is changed?
For instance, if I'm working with a VST with the window open and I change that VST, it would be nice if that window was refreshed with the new VST. Rather than having to open the window again.

Remember VST window position when replacing VSTs

When changing VSTs, aside from having to reopen the window, the position is also reset. So if you had a VST on a separate screen and then replace the VST, the window will not pop-up on that screen. Would it be possible to remember the position when replacing a VST; such as based on the upper-left corner of the VST window? Would this behavior have to be an option? Or perhaps only a behavior when the VST is changed with the window open?
Would be welcome preference options. But why limit it to all VST windows stay open? I'd like to add to this by suggesting a preference file that is configurable you add the scope of the VST to keep it open. Also in this preference text file could be the default patch for the VST scope. I have default patches saved currently in a VST folder pressing the patch next/previous button recalls the patch but have it do that automatically would be great.

The select next/previous patch VST device button can be mapped to a MIDI controller permanently so it loads that VST patch once you press the button on the MIDI interface. You can save the Remote override in a template so you do not have to do hard map. Also using the same method of saving a template to store the remote mapped info for Proxy open Plug-in window is a current work around to the automatic closing when deselected. If the pin button could be added to the front of the VST device this too could be Remote overridden and stored in a template. So a little bit of a workaround atm. If you have a Midi controller with customisable options it may be possible to set the Midi controller button to HOLD to keep the VST window open - have not tried it in practice...

You get to the remote override for open plug-in window from the options menu "Remote Override Edit Mode".

The minimising of plug-in windows I think is unnecessary with the proxy open plug-in window and also in the 10 beta opening from minimised would cause an assert. It was fixed for some VST's but AIR VST's still assert fail from the minimised state in the current 10 build so I would be careful using minimise on any VST window. Open plug-in window remote works brilliantly and is a must tbh glad it was implemented!
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

AttenuationHz

27 Nov 2017

Hey if you have a sustain pedal with an invert function you could invert the signal pressing the sustain will close the window! Connect the sustain to your master keyboard and in the options window select Remote override edit mode. edit the remote for the open plug-in window press sustain enjoy!

Edit: Ah but once you select a device as midi control you lose all functionality and pin is reset when you close the window/take foot off sustain does not work well plus it resets the state if Invert on the sustain pedal. I think that's a whole load of bugs.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

• Information