Add Ability to Rename Audio Outputs

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
DonnieAlan

01 Nov 2017

It would be very helpful to have the ability to name any audio outputs, especially the optional audio outputs such as we have on the back of the VST host module in the expanded view. The numbers don't always (in fact NEVER) line up. Here, for example, I have an instance of AIR Transfuser VST on the rack, with 4 loop modules playing different drum/vocal loops.
Transfuser in Reason Rack.JPG
Transfuser in Reason Rack.JPG (280.49 KiB) Viewed 926 times
You can see on the far right I've changed the Output Buses from "Main" to 1,2,2,3. Module 2 is panned right, and module 3 panned left so I can output those as mono to 2 different channels on the line mixer.
Transfusr Output Buses.JPG
Transfusr Output Buses.JPG (35.29 KiB) Viewed 926 times
However, the optional audio output buses on the back of the rack are numbered 3/4 5/6 7/8 etc So, output one comes out of Transfuser through outputs 3/4, and output 2 of the 2nd module in Transfuser, panned right, comes out of output 5, and 3rd module in Transfuser, panned left comes out of bus 2, but output 6 on the rack, and so on. Get's confusing in a hurry.
Module Outputs.JPG
Module Outputs.JPG (29.73 KiB) Viewed 926 times
And there doesn't seem to be a way to rename the little tape labels on the mixer either for any of the optional outputs going into that, making it even more confusing. Having the channel tape label on the mixer say something like "Transfuser" for 4 different channels, or even "Kong Kit 3-4" isn't very useful either. We need to able to re-name those: Kick, Snare, Hat, Vocal, etc

The same state of affairs is other RE's too, such as Kong.

It would be great if we could have the ability to re-name these from numbers to something useful, with corresponding names showing on the line mixers and so forth. In elaborate set-ups, this would be VERY useful.

Thanks!

QVprod

01 Nov 2017

You can relable the mixer channels. Double click the tape label and it’ll let you input text.

DonnieAlan

01 Nov 2017

QVprod wrote:
01 Nov 2017
You can relable the mixer channels. Double click the tape label and it’ll let you input text.
No, it does not...at least not with VSTs. That was the first thing I tried. Even so, being able to rename the inputs and outputs on the back like I showed would be very helpful. Better than trying to keep track of "instrument one goes out Audio 2, panned right, which is really optional audio output 4/5 on the back of the rack, and ...etc etc"

QVprod

02 Nov 2017

DonnieAlan wrote:
01 Nov 2017
QVprod wrote:
01 Nov 2017
No, it does not...at least not with VSTs. That was the first thing I tried. Even so, being able to rename the inputs and outputs on the back like I showed would be very helpful. Better than trying to keep track of "instrument one goes out Audio 2, panned right, which is really optional audio output 4/5 on the back of the rack, and ...etc etc"
I said tape labels, That was mis-statement. The mix channels can be renamed though. Double click the text. As an example, the 2 mix channels in the picture are connected to the additional outputs of Kontakt.

DonnieAlan

02 Nov 2017

QVprod wrote:
02 Nov 2017
DonnieAlan wrote:
01 Nov 2017

I said tape labels, That was mis-statement. The mix channels can be renamed though. Double click the text. As an example, the 2 mix channels in the picture are connected to the additional outputs of Kontakt.

Yes, I know that MIX channel tape names can be changed. I'm talking about the track names for one of the line mixers, which we often use in Combinator set-ups. But what I'm really suggesting is allowing the names to be changed at the audio output ports on the back of the rack, with corresponding name being automatically included on whatever input it goes to (and vice-versa).

cgijoe

02 Nov 2017

This also seems like it's tied to this request as well: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7499017.

Basically, we'd like to see inputs and outputs of devices renamed dynamically to match the signal chain, whether it be audio, CV, or automation?

QVprod

02 Nov 2017

DonnieAlan wrote:
02 Nov 2017

I'm talking about the track names for one of the line mixers,
Got it. I didn’t see line mixer in your original post so I assumed mix channel. I agree that would be great if we could rename them, the current workaround for that in the mean time is to route the output to another device and then route that device to the line mixer input. This is the method Propellerhead and other refill creators used since the line mixer channels are named according to what’s connected to it. They often routed to one of the half rack devices like the red eq and bypassed it.

DonnieAlan

02 Nov 2017

cgijoe wrote:
02 Nov 2017
This also seems like it's tied to this request as well: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7499017.

Basically, we'd like to see inputs and outputs of devices renamed dynamically to match the signal chain, whether it be audio, CV, or automation?
Basically, yes!

• Information