New UI For reason

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
DiZo

27 Sep 2017

i Think its a 100% of users request NO ?

Propellerhead answer here... if you can !

Loque

27 Sep 2017

No, i dont need a new UI that confuses me and requires learning from scratch. Other things are much more important.
Reason12, Win10

Zac

27 Sep 2017

Nope, I like the current UI, always have.

lakinlakin

27 Sep 2017

Doesn't have to be new, but I think it would be an idea for there a small button on each device to make it partially undock or pop out in some way so that it is easier to see and edit.

EdGrip

27 Sep 2017

I think maybe the OP meant vector/scaling stuff? The UI is basically fine, barring a buff & polish for 2017 pixel densities.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Sep 2017

I think it's alright the way it is actually.

sdst
Competition Winner

27 Sep 2017

it would be good allow the users to create their own skin like in kong and combinator but for everything

some REs are very ugly

Majestik Monkey

27 Sep 2017

Ide like to see Small clickable Icons of the FX or Re/Vst-instrument tracks !
In the Sequence page ! :lightbulb:

motuscott

27 Sep 2017

Small clickable chickens and a tidy urinary tract infection would be nice.
I once created my own skin and almost drowned...
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

EpiGenetik

27 Sep 2017

UI or UX?

For me sharper graphics or zooming is cool -other than that I don't desire any changes.

Ahornberg

27 Sep 2017

Take an imaginary timewarp to 2022 (I'm optimistic) and imagine a 3D-screen wher the kobs and faders emerge out of a surface, nicely colored with a solid grip. No more mouse needed, no extra MIDI controllers needed. That's what I want :puf_bigsmile:

AttenuationHz

27 Sep 2017

Had a think about this on and off for a while now. I think everyone would be pleased if there was device skins users could create. Much like the Combinator and Kong backdrops. The actual buttons and knobs could be interchangeable also it would bring old devices into the frame for aesthetically pleasing.

Backdrops on Kong really should have been worked upon for backdrops for the rest of the devices. It is very strange that it hasn't happened yet considering that combinator backdrops where a great feature that many people still use.

If you think about it it would be a whole lot easier getting Reason users to re-skin devices for a modern take on what already is fine to look at until you zoom in.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Loque

28 Sep 2017

I dont need backdrops.
Reason12, Win10

aeox
Competition Winner

28 Sep 2017

Love the UI, love the sequencer as it is. Would just like bezier curve automation mostly. Even that isn't really big deal.

Hmm, track folders would be nice I guess.

DiZo

28 Sep 2017

sorry i say for scale (i speak not english)

pain in my eyes now with reason

EdGrip

28 Sep 2017

DiZo wrote:
28 Sep 2017
pain in my eyes now with reason
Yeah, I think most would agree. In Windows, you can use Windows' accessibility settings to make everything a bit bigger, and it works really smoothly. I bet Mac has something like that too.
I find it helps on the 24" monitor when I have a controller keyboard and a QWERTY keyboard between me and the screen.

theshoemaker

28 Sep 2017

aeox wrote:
28 Sep 2017
Love the UI, love the sequencer as it is. Would just like bezier curve automation mostly. Even that isn't really big deal.

Hmm, track folders would be nice I guess.
From my point of view actually the usabilty is a PITA! it looks nice, but hey ... clicking and dragging with the mouse.

Keyboard shortcut to enter UI Focus mode. Tabbing through the UI or clicking an interface button with a textinput. to enter precise values. Alternative Views for the Racks. For example a big X/Y Touchpad which can be bound to any interface button. Like the knobs in combinator but not as knobs, but as touchpad.

Remote Map UI for creating permanent remotemaps, not just Reason songfile bindings.

Lifting off the Max. remotables for total UI controll.

UI building blocks to create customizable UIs for the racks. Sort of Lemur.

Scripting API for controlling Reason.

Multitouch
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

antic604

23 Oct 2017

Not a Reason user (yet), but what'd make me purchase it - regarding the UI - are:
- resizeable UI, so depending on where I am in the process, I can see more or less,
- full-screen mode, so that I don't need to see the top & bottom Windows bars,
- vectoral Rack & mixer, because as much as I love the look & design of Reason's native devices, instruments and effects; they look pretty pixelated, even on a small screens

syncanonymous

28 Oct 2017

theshoemaker wrote:
28 Sep 2017
From my point of view actually the usabilty is a PITA! it looks nice, but hey ... clicking and dragging with the mouse.

Keyboard shortcut to enter UI Focus mode. Tabbing through the UI or clicking an interface button with a textinput. to enter precise values. Alternative Views for the Racks. For example a big X/Y Touchpad which can be bound to any interface button. Like the knobs in combinator but not as knobs, but as touchpad.
Text input for parameter values would be a huge time saver. I find myself wanting this feature very often, too.

chaosroyale

28 Oct 2017

Hi-res scaling graphics and text input for parameter values are literally the 2 most popular user requests for the last, what, 5 years? More?

Don't worry, they'll arrive in Reason 8. Or Reason 9. Or...

Psuper

28 Oct 2017

Propellerhead needs to focus on their CORE DAW:

1 GUI.
2. Performance.
3. Options.
4. Back-end.

UI is #1, and Performance #2. That's what I personally care to see with any new updates. Reason has one of the worst UIs possible for smooth unhindered workflow, always has been their worst aspect in my book, too large before, too small now. I've used a ton of DAWs, and Reason is by far the most fun when just tinkering and messing around with the racks, but the worst when getting serious about making music. We're constantly playing musical chairs with windows and sizing it's just a chore for most resolutions, and is insanely tiny on the 4k road ahead.

Scaling would fix the current mass of 1080p or 1440p users by having the ability to decrease the minimum size of the rack window while independently scaling anything "attached" inside via the vertical handlebars, and the 4k users the same by scaling larger.

There are plenty of ways to handle a scaling interface, it just has to be as transparent as possible. Reasons own navigation pane already scales on a small scale (navigation pane should be an optional removable in the next UI, takes up way too much space at minimum and rarely used).

Thousands of 3rd parties provide sounds and samples, while Propellerhead alone can improve on what matters in DAWs - the back-end, the gui, the performance, the options.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

AttenuationHz

29 Oct 2017

Always use the navigation pane on the rack myself. The only one I don't use is the one on the mixer use scroll on my mouse. I use a 32" 1080 screen and detach the windows.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

pushedbutton

29 Oct 2017

I think it would be nice to have a little animated sequence where you can pull a rack device forwards so that it fills the screen then push it back when you're done, a bit like using a sliding rack device or a drawer.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

30 Oct 2017

pushedbutton wrote:
29 Oct 2017
I think it would be nice to have a little animated sequence where you can pull a rack device forwards so that it fills the screen then push it back when you're done, a bit like using a sliding rack device or a drawer.

I do hope you're saying that for a joke, PB! UI animations just to get from one view to another serve only to make the UI or the system appear laggier than it really is. Pretty much the first thing I turn off when I have to install Windows is stupid stuff like sliding open menus. If I click for a menu (or a bigger rack device), I just want the menu (or bigger rack device), not some smart-arse little animated sequences that serve no purpose beyond the UI maker showing off how cool his anim8 skillz r, and making users wait for the UI to be responsive again. That nonsense should not be encouraged.

AttenuationHz

30 Oct 2017

JiggeryPokery wrote:
30 Oct 2017
pushedbutton wrote:
29 Oct 2017
:lol: :lol: :lol:

• Information