Numerical input for knobs and faders

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Loque

24 Aug 2017

Yepp...there is only the workaround through automation. It would be so much faster, if i had some kind of input field...
Reason12, Win10

Ahornberg

24 Aug 2017

Yes this would be fine ... but since I got used to my Eurorack I got another point of view here:
Reason tries to emulate analog hardware and therefore a numerical input for knobs and faders doesn't fit into this picture.

Loque

25 Aug 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
24 Aug 2017
Yes this would be fine ... but since I got used to my Eurorack I got another point of view here:
Reason tries to emulate analog hardware and therefore a numerical input for knobs and faders doesn't fit into this picture.
It is not analog hardware, it is software and therefor should provide all benefits from software too imo. If you are serious about your opinion, you should never use a popup menu as an example.
Reason12, Win10

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

25 Aug 2017

Loque wrote:
25 Aug 2017
Ahornberg wrote:
24 Aug 2017
It is not analog hardware, it is software and therefor should provide all benefits from software too imo. If you are serious about your opinion, you should never use a popup menu as an example.
I think it should be an option that you can turn on and off.

The sort of problem with digital displays are people start to rely on their eyes and not their ears..

I wish they would split the tool tip option show parameters to front and back of rig, as I do find it handy on the back of the rig with long cables but I don't like the popup values on the front (again lets listen to what we are tweaking not look, the main time I do like the popup value on the front is if I'm setting a CV value for say pacific note value etc, but not for creating sounds.)..

PoohBear

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recent Music made with Reason
(Electronic) Solar Dance Video
(Electronic) Into The Night Video
(Upbeat) The Players Took Me There Made in Reason 9 with heavy use of the players
(Electronic) 5 Steps (Video added) Updated
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Loque

25 Aug 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
25 Aug 2017
Loque wrote:
25 Aug 2017

I think it should be an option that you can turn on and off.

The sort of problem with digital displays are people start to rely on their eyes and not their ears..

I wish they would split the tool tip option show parameters to front and back of rig, as I do find it handy on the back of the rig with long cables but I don't like the popup values on the front (again lets listen to what we are tweaking not look, the main time I do like the popup value on the front is if I'm setting a CV value for say pacific note value etc, but not for creating sounds.)..

PoohBear

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recent Music made with Reason
(Electronic) Solar Dance Video
(Electronic) Into The Night Video
(Upbeat) The Players Took Me There Made in Reason 9 with heavy use of the players
(Electronic) 5 Steps (Video added) Updated
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings
I think it depends how this could be realized. Numerical displays under each knob, button, fader... would be pretty ugly and uninspiring. Some kind of tooltip window or edit help window when the mouse hovers could be interesting, or selecting the slider with middle mouse and have a numerical display in the top toolbar or a popup menu entry asking for a value. Probably some other ways for input... I do most stuff by ear, but its annoying to adjust a pitch, phase offset or other values in 10 pixel display or having to try 10 times with shift+mouse to get the spot...
Reason12, Win10

Exowildebeest

25 Aug 2017

A workaround is to create an automation lane, and adjust the default value (to the left side in the sequencer). That's great for when you really need those exact values (assuming the parameter supports the value you had in mind).

For general workflow purposes, it'd be great if a tiny dialog just popped up on double clicking/modified clicking, where you enter the value.

ljekio

28 Aug 2019

Loque wrote:
25 Aug 2017
I think it depends how this could be realized. Numerical displays under each knob, button, fader... would be pretty ugly and uninspiring.
I found my old file, which was posted on PUH in 2012. :)
manual data enter.jpg
manual data enter.jpg (38.84 KiB) Viewed 458 times

Loque

28 Aug 2019

ljekio wrote:
28 Aug 2019
Loque wrote:
25 Aug 2017
I think it depends how this could be realized. Numerical displays under each knob, button, fader... would be pretty ugly and uninspiring.
I found my old file, which was posted on PUH in 2012. :)
manual data enter.jpg
Yea, this is how lots of devs do it...
Reason12, Win10

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

28 Aug 2019

Why can’t there just be a double-click to input feature? That’s how Logic works.

• Information