Couple of End Marker Ideas

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Creativemind

03 Jun 2017

Hi All!

Have a couple of good ideas for the end marker in Reason.

1) Have a checkbox in the preferences called, "Stop Play At End Marker". When this option is ticked / checked, Reason will stop the track playing when it reaches the end marker.

2) Right Clicking the End Marker brings up an option called, "Place At Furthest Detected Sound Decay" and if you click it, Reason will place the End Marker at the end of the song but will automatically place it at the point where the last sound in the timeline has completely decayed out. Or even just does this automatically if you press the Right Arrow key on your QWERTY keyboard and left-click the end marker.

Thanks!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

selig
RE Developer

03 Jun 2017

Creativemind wrote:Hi All!

Have a couple of good ideas for the end marker in Reason.

1) Have a checkbox in the preferences called, "Stop Play At End Marker". When this option is ticked / checked, Reason will stop the track playing when it reaches the end marker.

2) Right Clicking the End Marker brings up an option called, "Place At Furthest Detected Sound Decay" and if you click it, Reason will place the End Marker at the end of the song but will automatically place it at the point where the last sound in the timeline has completely decayed out. Or even just does this automatically if you press the Right Arrow key on your QWERTY keyboard and left-click the end marker.

Thanks!
+1 to both ideas!
:)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

joeyluck

03 Jun 2017

I like both as well :thumbs_up:
This has come up before. Would be handy.

I'd probably be fine with just the first idea if it also kills all audio when it reaches the end marker. That way you can listen to hear if you're cutting anything off before exporting.

Some people don't like the default behavior of RPVerb (reset on stop) because the reverb tail is cut when you hit stop.
Rob did add the option, in which you can deselect this. But something like that comes in handy in these situations.

The second option might be something that has to be incorporated with the export? Where the user simply sets the end marker well beyond what they think is the end point. And then during export, Reason presents an option to 'crop ending at end of decay'

Creativemind

03 Jun 2017

joeyluck wrote: The second option might be something that has to be incorporated with the export? Where the user simply sets the end marker well beyond what they think is the end point. And then during export, Reason presents an option to 'crop ending at end of decay'
Before exporting I have to keep listening and moving the end marker a little bit then maybe a little bit more. If Reason could detect where the last clip sound actually fades or decays without you having to do it, gotta be a bonus. :)

AttenuationHz

03 Jun 2017

It might be handy but I've always made a fade before the end marker on the master fader. If there was an automated process to fade down to the end marker I'd be happy and would save trouble some people seem to have with tails. The fade could be user set. Fade marker if you will.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Creativemind

03 Jun 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:It might be handy but I've always made a fade before the end marker on the master fader. If there was an automated process to fade down to the end marker I'd be happy and would save trouble some people seem to have with tails. The fade could be user set. Fade marker if you will.
If you're fading out an unbounced track yes, with many midi and audio tracks but I generally bounce the whole track down to a single wav and use the audio fade out line on the clip itself.

Creativemind

13 Sep 2017

joeyluck wrote:
03 Jun 2017
I like both as well :thumbs_up:
This has come up before. Would be handy.

I'd probably be fine with just the first idea if it also kills all audio when it reaches the end marker. That way you can listen to hear if you're cutting anything off before exporting.

Some people don't like the default behavior of RPVerb (reset on stop) because the reverb tail is cut when you hit stop.
Rob did add the option, in which you can deselect this. But something like that comes in handy in these situations.

The second option might be something that has to be incorporated with the export? Where the user simply sets the end marker well beyond what they think is the end point. And then during export, Reason presents an option to 'crop ending at end of decay'
I like both ideas here. Especially the first one, to kill all audio at the end marker.

I just thought of 2 other good ways of incorporating my first 2 ideas as well.

When you check the checkbox in the preferences for Stopping Song At End Marker, it activates the End Marker (makes the top of the end marker black with the E in white, see pic on Default Theme, the colours would have to be different for the other 2 themes) which signifies that now Reason will stop playing the song at the End Marker. Also, double clicking the end marker will activate it too, so we have 2 ways of doing it. Double clicking will de-activate it or obviously and also will uncheck it in the preferences and you can uncheck it manually in the preferences obviously too. The Reason for the 2 is so you can activate it in the Preferences if you like this to be a thing you want all the time without having to go searching 100 bars in to find the end marker to double click it.

Second, a keyboard shortcut for putting the end marker at the end of project at the last decayed sound, shift/ctrl/E seeing as Ctrl/E is already a shortcut, to go to Edit Mode.
Attachments
End Marker2.jpg
End Marker2.jpg (22.86 KiB) Viewed 547 times

• Information