Add possibility to define what EQ and what compressor to use in the channel strips

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
soundmodel

02 Jun 2017

Add possibility to define what EQ and what compressor to use in the channel strips.

They could be even VSTs that can be opened from the channel strip.
The channel strip doesn't necessarily need to provide controls, just that one can also assign an "other EQ" to the EQ section and "other compressor" to the dynamics section.

AttenuationHz

02 Jun 2017

I get what you're saying but you do not necessarily have to use the compressor or the eq from the channel strip if you're using a separate eq or compressor its routed in the mix channel. If you mean define what eq to use in the channel strip and control it from the knobs on the channel strip eq/compressor then that would be pretty neat but it would require a different look I think.

It would be great to have even more knob on the mix channel/channel strip instead of just 4. If you could disable/replace the knobs the eq uses like you can with the rotary knobs and buttons on the mix channel then that would be great. The EQ on the channel strip is decent though a lot of people use it. I use it, not as much as a separate eq, but it gets use.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

soundmodel

02 Jun 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:I get what you're saying but you do not necessarily have to use the compressor or the eq from the channel strip if you're using a separate eq or compressor its routed in the mix channel. If you mean define what eq to use in the channel strip and control it from the knobs on the channel strip eq/compressor then that would be pretty neat but it would require a different look I think.

It would be great to have even more knob on the mix channel/channel strip instead of just 4. If you could disable/replace the knobs the eq uses like you can with the rotary knobs and buttons on the mix channel then that would be great. The EQ on the channel strip is decent though a lot of people use it. I use it, not as much as a separate eq, but it gets use.
Yeah the EQ is decent, but I find it not as precise as a normal parametric EQ with visualization.
The dynamics section lacks timing control for attack (well apart from the Fast on/off setting), which renders the dynamics section unusable for me in most cases.

Of course one can create e.g. a Combinator to hold one's own channel strip, but my idea was that one could call at least one compressor and one EQ from the mix channel. Having multiple such would actually remind more of how other DAWs are structured. Because one often adds plug-ins as inserts in order to create the channel strip.

madmacman

04 Jun 2017

soundmodel wrote: Yeah the EQ is decent, but I find it not as precise as a normal parametric EQ with visualization.
Well, I still don't get what you are asking for. Regarding the EQ: it *is* parametric and it *has* visualisation - at least since Reason v7.

As for the rest: It sounds like you want a preset for inserts? If you add a new channel strip and leave everything at neutral setting, then some kind of pre-configured insert is exactly what you want?

soundmodel

09 Jun 2017

madmacman wrote:
soundmodel wrote: Yeah the EQ is decent, but I find it not as precise as a normal parametric EQ with visualization.
Well, I still don't get what you are asking for. Regarding the EQ: it *is* parametric and it *has* visualisation - at least since Reason v7.

As for the rest: It sounds like you want a preset for inserts? If you add a new channel strip and leave everything at neutral setting, then some kind of pre-configured insert is exactly what you want?
Hmm, so learning something new here. The past Reason I used before 9 was 6 so I didn't quite understand what the spectrum button there did. I thought it was a spectrum analyzer, but now I noticed that it's actually a multiband parametric EQ. So the EQ seems handled, although it still doesn't let one choose what EQ to use (which is the case when one uses inserts in other DAWs).

Same thing for the compressor there. In other DAWs with inserts one can decide to put whatever VST compressor one wishes there.

madmacman

09 Jun 2017

soundmodel wrote: Hmm, so learning something new here.
Glad to hear. :)

But regarding the other parts of your reply: Please forgive me - I'm not an English native speaker - but it sounds like you are missing Inserts? What keeps you from using EQ / Compression to your taste as channel strip Inserts in the SSL mixer? In fact, you can even create a combinator and load it as Insert "macro" into the channel strip. And as a bonus, you can use the mapped knobs and switches from the combinator right in the mixer without opening the insert first.

soundmodel

19 Jan 2018

BTW, after acquiring VSTs such as SSL Duende. I find very little use for the channel strips. I might use them occasionally to e.g. to a quick "initial" compression or a small insignificant equalization, but I don't use the channel strips for creating the final sounds. Because I've found other VSTs to work better.

This is yet another argument for why the channel strips in Reason shouldn't be "fixed" to some Reason built-in SSL emulation, but rather they should allow one to use whatever plugs there one wishes, just like in many other DAWs.

Particulary, the SSL Duende makes the Reason console redundant for me, because the Duende is a better SSL emulation than the Reason one.

The console is nice for people that might not purchase channel strips, eqs and compressors and whatever from other developers, but for those that do the console in Reason just becomes useless.

Or perhaps one can view the built-in EQs and compressors as complementary. Since no-one's preventing one from using just FX SENDs.

However, it'd be nice if one could open the chain that are in FX SENDs for editing, just like on the master channel.

antic604

20 Jan 2018

I don't really get this discussion - if one doesn't want to use the SSL mixer's eq or compression, then just hide it and never look at it. If you want to use 3rd party effects just put them into insert slot of the mix channel - it's like in any other DAW. I'm not aware of any DAW that let's you map 3rd party plugins to replace native controls, so I don't get that either.

demt

20 Jan 2018

antic604 wrote:
20 Jan 2018
I don't really get this discussion - if one doesn't want to use the SSL mixer's eq or compression, then just hide it and never look at it. If you want to use 3rd party effects just put them into insert slot of the mix channel - it's like in any other DAW. I'm not aware of any DAW that let's you map 3rd party plugins to replace native controls, so I don't get that either.
right
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

normen

20 Jan 2018

What I'd rather see is the Props adding different consoles to Reason. So you can switch the whole console for a Neve, API or whatever :) And maybe add a knob to enable a bit more of "gain staging magic" as it was in old consoles (i.e. noise floor and headroom / distortion).

Going into the nitty-gritty of allowing to switch every channel to something else somehow doesn't really fit the Reason paradigm where you always have some "real" devices like the SSL, rack units etc.

But of course thats only my 2c

sdst
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2018

antic604 wrote:
20 Jan 2018
I don't really get this discussion - if one doesn't want to use the SSL mixer's eq or compression, then just hide it and never look at it.
I have two years doing that, without the option to hide channels I find it very annoying

at this point I prefer an update of the mixer 14 2

antic604

20 Jan 2018

sdst wrote:
20 Jan 2018
antic604 wrote:
20 Jan 2018
I don't really get this discussion - if one doesn't want to use the SSL mixer's eq or compression, then just hide it and never look at it.
I have two years doing that, without the option to hide channels I find it very annoying

at this point I prefer an update of the mixer 14 2
Are you the guy who asked on FB how to route the sound from mix channels directly to the sound card, bypassing the SSL mixer?

Just hide all the SSL components and leave only the faders to end up with a "mixer" like every other DAW has. Problem solved.

sdst
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2018

antic604 wrote:
20 Jan 2018
Are you the guy who asked on FB
no :)
antic604 wrote:
20 Jan 2018
Just hide all the SSL components and leave only the faders to end up with a "mixer" like every other DAW has. Problem solved.
I mean it's very good to work only with busses channel and hide everything else

when you know how good is that, you're going to want it in Reason

miscend

20 Jan 2018

There is no difference with just using your choice of eq and compressor as an insert.

How would the channel strip controls work if you put your own eq there.

joeyluck

20 Jan 2018

It would be cool to be able to switch elements of the channel strip.

Maybe it could be a form of Rack Extensions making it another benefit of the format (as it's been proposed numerous times by users). If it's allowed for VSTs (which would have to pop out in separate windows) it would kind of defeat the purpose. You can of course add things to the channel in the rack, but then everything is separate from the Mixer view, which I think would be the point. This is where Reason could excel with it's own plugin format, unlike with other DAWs; in Reason you could have a mixer with interchangeable parts from in-house and third party developers that wouldn't sacrifice workflow.

tobypearce

03 Feb 2018

I think what the op is getting at is the ability to swap out different compressor types into the SSL mixer.
If you look at Harrison mixbus, you can use 3 or 4 different types of compressor.

I do think this is a good suggestion.

(You can, of course, already do this for the EQ, but selecting the alternative E mode.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

• Information