Export to MP3

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Shadowcaster

16 May 2017

Now that the patents on the MP3 file format have expired may we please have an 'Export to Mp3' option? We've been asking for yeeeeeeeears...

https://www.iis.fraunhofer.de/en/ff/amm ... s/mp3.html

theshoemaker

16 May 2017

Finder > [YOUR FILE] > Right Click > Services >Encode Selected Audio Files > Apple Lossless
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

Shadowcaster

16 May 2017

I fail to understand how that will result in an Mp3 file.

esselfortium

16 May 2017

If lossy format export is added to Reason, I'd love to have an option to export both a WAV and an MP3 together, so I have a compressed version for sharing demos online and still get to keep a lossless version for my own archives, without any extra steps.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

pushedbutton

16 May 2017

esselfortium wrote:If lossy format export is added to Reason, I'd love to have an option to export both a WAV and an MP3 together, so I have a compressed version for sharing demos online and still get to keep a lossless version for my own archives, without any extra steps.
Yeah and 'export everything' button would be cool.
It could spit our your final mix, channels and busses, normalised channels, upload to Allihoopa, convert to mp3, zip for sharing and convert the score to sheet music.
It would free up more time for drinking coffee.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

esselfortium

16 May 2017

pushedbutton wrote:
esselfortium wrote:If lossy format export is added to Reason, I'd love to have an option to export both a WAV and an MP3 together, so I have a compressed version for sharing demos online and still get to keep a lossless version for my own archives, without any extra steps.
Yeah and 'export everything' button would be cool.
It could spit our your final mix, channels and busses, normalised channels, upload to Allihoopa, convert to mp3, zip for sharing and convert the score to sheet music.
It would free up more time for drinking coffee.
To be honest, a macro system for scripting common repetitive tasks like that would be amazing in Reason. We've all got different procedures we use on a regular basis, so while specific built-in actions for them would be overkill, scripting would simultaneously solve a lot of different problems for a lot of different people.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

fieldframe
RE Developer

16 May 2017

I think what might work best in this case is to take a page from how some design apps handle exporting. In Affinity Designer and Sketch, you can create a little list of formats you want to export to, and check/uncheck them when you go to export.

EdGrip

17 May 2017

Yep. Same in Capture One Pro - you create a custom list of export "recipes" where you set the file format, any resizing, quality, etc. When it comes to export, you just check the one(s) you want.
It means you can have multiple variations on - for example - JPEG; full-size, 1920px wide at 70% quality for web, etc.
I think it's a great system.

Stodge

18 May 2017

I would love to be able to export to MP3 like mentioned before to be able to share compressed versions online and keep a WAV lossless version for my records! Having to switch to another program just to make a compressed version seems pointless when it would be so easy to just add that in to reason!
Windows 10 HP i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz, Reason 9.5 :reason:, AKAI MPK 49, Audio Intimidation s2000 floorstanding speakers, W-Audio DA300 Amplifier
https://www.facebook.com/DJStodge/
https://soundcloud.com/dj-stodge

theshoemaker

18 May 2017

Shadowcaster wrote:I fail to understand how that will result in an Mp3 file.
AAC ... far superior. I fail to understand why people still use mp3 :D
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

submonsterz

18 May 2017

theshoemaker wrote:
Shadowcaster wrote:I fail to understand how that will result in an Mp3 file.
AAC ... far superior. I fail to understand why people still use mp3 :D
I agree other better formats are more important
MP3 is dying as it should it's crap for today's standards against the other formats .

geremix

25 Aug 2017

Shadowcaster wrote:Now that the patents on the MP3 file format have expired may we please have an 'Export to Mp3' option? We've been asking for yeeeeeeeears...

https://www.iis.fraunhofer.de/en/ff/amm ... s/mp3.html
+1

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

25 Aug 2017

Why add a dying format now? (OK it will still be around for a few years but there are a lot better formats out there)..

aeox
Competition Winner

25 Aug 2017

Audacity, it takes like 4 seconds :)

pushedbutton

25 Aug 2017

VLC is another free option.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Gorgon

25 Aug 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
25 Aug 2017
Why add a dying format now? (OK it will still be around for a few years but there are a lot better formats out there)..
It's hardly a dying format.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2017

Gorgon wrote:
25 Aug 2017
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
25 Aug 2017
It's hardly a dying format.
Of course it is, it's been dying for years, the last cheap (£20) Media player I brought supports 48K 16 bit files, people are waking up to how shit MP3 sound quality really is and now with memory being so cheap it won't long...

PeterP

27 Aug 2017

People saying that mp3 is dying are probably working for Fraunhofer and pissed off that they don't get license fees anymore. :)

With a good quality encoder it sounds excellent and there's no denying that it's the one format that is supported everywhere.

Please add it as an export option in Reason.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2017

PeterP wrote:
27 Aug 2017
People saying that mp3 is dying are probably working for Fraunhofer and pissed off that they don't get license fees anymore. :)

With a good quality encoder it sounds excellent and there's no denying that it's the one format that is supported everywhere.

Please add it as an export option in Reason.
Yeah, and while you are at it add support for betamax and VHS.... LOL

Gorgon

27 Aug 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
26 Aug 2017
Of course it is, it's been dying for years, the last cheap (£20) Media player I brought supports 48K 16 bit files, people are waking up to how shit MP3 sound quality really is and now with memory being so cheap it won't long...
Lol. Yeah, just like ZIP is a dying format. Anyway, you can't hear the difference between een high quality mp3 and a wav file and you know it.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2017

Gorgon wrote:
27 Aug 2017
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
26 Aug 2017
Lol. Yeah, just like ZIP is a dying format. Anyway, you can't hear the difference between een high quality mp3 and a wav file and you know it.
Far from it, if you can't hear the difference, then stick with MP3, but with my bad ears I sure can..

selig
RE Developer

27 Aug 2017

fieldframe wrote:I think what might work best in this case is to take a page from how some design apps handle exporting. In Affinity Designer and Sketch, you can create a little list of formats you want to export to, and check/uncheck them when you go to export.
So, basically how Logic works?
;)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Gorgon

29 Aug 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
27 Aug 2017
Gorgon wrote:
27 Aug 2017

Far from it, if you can't hear the difference, then stick with MP3, but with my bad ears I sure can..
So you obviously wouldn't mind to do a blind MP3/WAV test?

Oquasec

29 Aug 2017

AAC & Wav/flac where it's at for SQ my dude.
192kbps aac = 320kbps mp3.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

mark999

16 Sep 2017

Export to MP3, definitely!

• Information