Input Velocity Scaling or Compression such as those found in Live and Bitwig 2

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Rosebud

05 May 2017

I am primarily a piano player and with the addition of VSTs, I would like to see some way to quickly tailor the input of real-time MIDI velocity. Some sort of global velocity curve editor or device that can be inserted in front of a software instrument would be helpful to fine-tune the velocity output of different controller keyboards etc. While I know that many VST instruments and some Reason stock instruments have a way to edit how the instrument responds to velocity scaling, it can be tedious to have to do this for each instance of a plugin or device. Some Reason devices such as the ID8, for instance, do not have a way of affecting the velocity behavior that I know of. So as an example, using a Roli Seaboard to play a piano sound on this device, there would be no way to customize the velocity curve to match one's own playing style. With the addition of VSTs, this issue is going to be compounded. I would like to see something similar to Ableton Live's Velocity Compression plug or Bitwig's Note Velocity modulator.

househoppin09

05 May 2017

Seconded. This would be great.

esselfortium

05 May 2017

I would appreciate this a lot too.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Rosebud

06 May 2017

Also, a real-time pitch modulator that would allow you to easily switch octaves etc.

Oquasec

06 May 2017

Reason's velocity razor is ctrl+alt+shift I think.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

esselfortium

06 May 2017

I suppose once the RE SDK is opened up to Player devices, this would be relatively straightforward to accomplish in that way, though it really ought to be available as a program-wide setting as well.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Rosebud

07 May 2017

Oquasec wrote:Reason's velocity razor is ctrl+alt+shift I think.
I believe you are referring to editing velocity after it's recorded. I'm suggesting a way of affecting incoming midi data from a controller; a way of tailoring the velocity response as it is sent from the midi controller (keyboard, pads etc).

Oquasec

07 May 2017

Some modules have a vel knob if that's what ya mean. or converting audio to cv.
Or unplugging a module with the vel and using it as extra modulation sources.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Rosebud

08 May 2017

Some devices have a way to edit input velocity, some don't. I'm suggesting a global solution that can be placed in front of any instrument (or RE or VST) to quickly tailor the velocity response.

selig
RE Developer

08 May 2017

I agree with this suggestion, and would really like a complete suite of "live" MIDI manipulation as well as non-destructive playback manipulation (such as quantization, transpose, splits, velocity compression etc.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Rosebud

08 May 2017

selig wrote:I agree with this suggestion, and would really like a complete suite of "live" MIDI manipulation as well as non-destructive playback manipulation (such as quantization, transpose, splits, velocity compression etc.

Yes, all of these would be welcome additions!

househoppin09

09 May 2017

Yep! The whole "live MIDI manipulation suite" idea is fantastic and sorely needed. Reason 10...? :)

selig
RE Developer

09 May 2017

househoppin09 wrote:Yep! The whole "live MIDI manipulation suite" idea is fantastic and sorely needed. Reason 10...? :)
To be fair, the new Players feature is starting to address this idea, just not taking it far enough yet (but the night is still young…).
:)

Selig Audio, LLC

Funkspace

07 Sep 2017

Oh man... is this really that state of affairs with manipulating velocity in realtime?
Me not too happy :(
I came here looking for a way to adjust the velocity curve of an instrument too...
the problem I have is that I'm layering some instruments, but one of them is not responding to velocity the way I need to get it to 'sit' expressivly. I don't know if a player type device would even work as I have a bunch of instruments in a combinator and only one of them needs to have the manipulation done, and doing it by adjusting patchwise is going to be pretty difficult from the hour and a half experimentation today.
(I'm going to post a question regarding trying to make global adjustments to velocity responses on a multi sample NN-XT patch. I tried but it seemed to be a bit of a nightmare if wanting to try out different settings to see how it would play)
Man... it's a sucky day! 😂

• Information