Diff comparison in Reason

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
jappe

09 Apr 2017

...I've spent time on non-productive work now, trying to find what I did to make the sound worse in my WIP.

The scenario is as follows:

1. I start a final polishing session on a song, iteratively improving it, saving new versions regularly.
2. X iterations later, I realize; this sounds like shit, how could I've missed that...blaming it on late hour work.
3. Starting to find the cause of the problem...but the project is in an entirely different state now.
I don't wan't to rollback everything...so I find myself in a maze, identifying what I did, what I want to keep/remove...and constantly trying to get back to the old sound.

It would be awesome if Reason had some tool to aid in that scenario, giving me an overview of what changed, and give it from different views/angles, like Diff Views, like you have in a developer environment.
Also: A feature that makes an AI analysis and troubleshooting advise - perhaps given features I want to prioritize and can input to the analysis.

Basically I want reason to support me when my brain doesn't understand that I'm doing something that could harm the sound :puf_bigsmile:

normen

09 Apr 2017

+1 for mix versions :)

slightlyprog

09 Apr 2017

In theory it would be super easy for Reason to create a basic text report that lists all the changes between saves of a song. What would be useful is the ability to save settings without having to save a new song with all the audio data again. So some kind of mix version that is saved within the song and allows you to easily rollback to any previously saved point.

househoppin09

10 Apr 2017

Yes. And of course, for any of this to be fully usable, it's going to be an absolute must to have an overall setting to disable the embedding of audio in song files, just in general. Really, it's shocking that Reason still doesn't allow that.

jappe

13 Apr 2017

...and it would be good to have context related documentation for mix versions as well; so a new version has ability to put in overview version comments, but also comments on every change I made on every device.

A solid documentation system to help me when I'm confused and coming back to an older version without remembering why I did what.

There could even be a "make it quick" feature letting me speak in the comments for the comment context, leaving little room for documentation reluctance.
And why not make an attempt to automatically make speech recognition of it in the background making it quicker to use the documentation as well.

Then it's also easier to understand the impact of reverting to an older version, or perhaps migrating a subset of changes from another version into the WIP.

selig
RE Developer

13 Apr 2017

househoppin09 wrote:Yes. And of course, for any of this to be fully usable, it's going to be an absolute must to have an overall setting to disable the embedding of audio in song files, just in general. Really, it's shocking that Reason still doesn't allow that.
That isn't necessary for versions to work. You can export audio if you need it separate, which is the main scenario where you would need access to individual audio files.

BUT, for this to work you need a robust import/export system like with Pro Tools. I've been advocating for a "versions" system (it's not just one feature IMO), since the days of Record, to no avail. But hopefully under "new management" maybe they'll consider these suggestions!

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information