Please finish the darker GUI on the SSL

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Gulale

27 Feb 2017

Every time I switch to the SSL side of the mixer my eye keep crying please finish it on point update. Don't make us wait for Reason 10 just because it will look good for Reason10 advertisement.
Gulale aka Bereket

normen

27 Feb 2017

+1, the dark theme is kind of useless like this in terms of "eye strain in the dark". Aesthetically it looks pretty half-assed as well imo...

Exowildebeest

27 Feb 2017

When it comes to eye strain (not Reason or GUI's in general), I highly recommend a monitor that has a low blue light mode (my BenQ has this). I wouldn't want to live without that feature anymore. Maybe there are software solutions for this as well. Worth looking into if you suffer from eye strain.

dhruan

27 Feb 2017

+1 for this!
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

Peter

27 Feb 2017

Exowildebeest wrote:When it comes to eye strain (not Reason or GUI's in general), I highly recommend a monitor that has a low blue light mode (my BenQ has this). I wouldn't want to live without that feature anymore. Maybe there are software solutions for this as well. Worth looking into if you suffer from eye strain.
I'm using flux and it seems to make a difference for me. I pull ten hour sessions on weekends. ;)

Just switched it off/on out of curiosity and ugghhh.

normen

27 Feb 2017

Exowildebeest wrote:When it comes to eye strain (not Reason or GUI's in general), I highly recommend a monitor that has a low blue light mode (my BenQ has this). I wouldn't want to live without that feature anymore. Maybe there are software solutions for this as well. Worth looking into if you suffer from eye strain.
The next OSX update should allow setting this globally, like the current iOS version ("Night Shift"). But only from a certain graphics card generation on.

kuhliloach

27 Feb 2017

This is a great post -- I'm hoping Reason's UI gets a few specific tweaks. Properly pre-baked themes, as well as giving users customization features, are welcome, and yes this includes Reason's big bad SSL. Let us skin that darn SSL -- what's the big deal? What I really want is a "big" mode where everything can be made larger, even RE's, while maintaining great pixel detail.

scratchnsnifff

27 Feb 2017

They should implement the full scale customization of colors/themes like you can do on studio one and FL has a feature like that also where you can change the color of random areas and such
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

aeox
Competition Winner

27 Feb 2017

I feel like a darker SSL skin would be less than the snap of a finger for them :P

EdGrip

04 Mar 2017

I've thought that ^ .
If doing a dark version of the SSL was as easy for them as a dark sequencer and browser, they'd have done it. I imagine it's quite a lot more work. But I really do hope they do it soon. Apart from anything else, it needs to happen from a visual unity/continuity point of view.

If someone's about to say "But a real SSL desk is white!" - we know.

selig
RE Developer

04 Mar 2017

EdGrip wrote:I've thought that ^ .
If doing a dark version of the SSL was as easy for them as a dark sequencer and browser, they'd have done it. I imagine it's quite a lot more work. But I really do hope they do it soon. Apart from anything else, it needs to happen from a visual unity/continuity point of view.

If someone's about to say "But a real SSL desk is white!" - we know.
Actually…it's a dark background with white lettering, with later models lighter grey and earlier models closer to black. Every SSL I've seen has white lettering, indicating the background color is darker than a 50% grey tone.

I've made the same request as the OP, pointing out that there is already a dark and light "real" SSL (if they were worried about 'realism').

FWIW (and maybe this is intentional?) there are no SSL mixers that look exactly like the Reason mixer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

04 Mar 2017

aeox wrote:I feel like a darker SSL skin would be less than the snap of a finger for them :P
I can't imagine anything about changing the background color that would cause any major issues. I assumed it was either they only got initial requests to darken the sequencer (or ran out of time, or re-prioritized it), or there is some copyright issue keeping them from making it look more like a real SSL.

There are plenty of changes they could make to Reason that would take a 'snap of a finger' that they simply have not prioritized. They tend to move at a more glacial pace compared to other software companies…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Data_Shrine

18 Mar 2017

The copyright aspect would be quite odd to me. If thats really the case, just make it a different shade of grey.. I mean look at all the Vst's that looks like a Moog.

My totally uneducated guess is that's because the new UI (browser, etc) might be new code that is somehow separated from the "rack code" so its why they didnt change it (yet...) and might be waiting on rolling out a new graphical engine that supports Retina-like displays high-resolution to implement it.

Creativemind

08 Apr 2017

I'm wondering if maybe they tried a dark theme already for the main mixer and found the colours for the parameters didn't gel very well maybe? Just something that occurred to me, maybe I'm wrong.

Also, this main mixer is modelled on the SSL 9000k and I suggested in another thread that they should emulate that (it was in a video I saw on the Props site) where it was split screen hovering over the real SSL 9000k and boy did it look nice. I've attached a screenshot. This would be my preferred colouring for me, but then for people here saying how it hurts your eyes, not sure if this would solve that issue although it would be better than plain white.
Attachments
SSL Mixer Pic.PNG
SSL Mixer Pic.PNG (817.96 KiB) Viewed 1622 times
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

jfrichards

12 Apr 2017

This type of proposal sure has been around for a long time, sure would be nice.
Attachments
sm dark.jpeg
sm dark.jpeg (948.56 KiB) Viewed 1586 times

Oquasec

12 Apr 2017

That layout. jesus christ.
That keeps you producing I tell ya.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

• Information