Save your own patch as default init

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
tobypearce

08 Feb 2017

I tend to start patch building from a similar place for each synth. I have created my own init patches and saved them into a favourites list (Thor init, Parsec Init, Legend Init etc). This is because the patches I build tend to have similar envelopes (e.g. short plucky filter envelope):
Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 07.42.16.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 07.42.16.png (62.36 KiB) Viewed 3998 times
This works, but means I don't use this nice interface:
Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 07.44.42.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 07.44.42.png (322.77 KiB) Viewed 3998 times
It would be useful if I could update the default init patch, for example by right clicking on the instrument and selecting "save patch as default".

There could then be a setting in the global preferences to "reset default patches to factory originals" if you wanted to go back.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

normen

08 Feb 2017

Yes, I'd like that. +1

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

08 Feb 2017

another +1 for that...

fieldframe
RE Developer

02 Apr 2017

Some synths in Reason, especially Rack Extensions, have init patches that I don't really like. Like Expanse, for instance: I always find myself shortening the amp envelope attack before I do anything else, and I think I could just set Mod env 1 as always being the first modulation source, as well as setting the filter to bypass.

I know I can just create a patch with these things fixed, then load it instead of going to "Reset Device" when I want to start a new patch, but... that's an extra step, just like manually shortening the amp envelope attack and everything, so I haven't really saved that much effort. :) It would be really nice to be able to simply right click on a device, create my custom init, and choose "Save as Init Patch" and then have that patch show up whenever I go to "Reset Device."

esselfortium

02 Apr 2017

Seconded. I've often wanted to be able to change this, too.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

joeyluck

02 Apr 2017

fieldframe wrote:Some synths in Reason, especially Rack Extensions, have init patches that I don't really like. Like Expanse, for instance: I always find myself shortening the amp envelope attack before I do anything else, and I think I could just set Mod env 1 as always being the first modulation source, as well as setting the filter to bypass.

I know I can just create a patch with these things fixed, then load it instead of going to "Reset Device" when I want to start a new patch, but... that's an extra step, just like manually shortening the amp envelope attack and everything, so I haven't really saved that much effort. :) It would be really nice to be able to simply right click on a device, create my custom init, and choose "Save as Init Patch" and then have that patch show up whenever I go to "Reset Device."
Merged this with the suggestion made previously.
It's a great idea :thumbs_up:

w1pl0c

17 Jul 2018

tobypearce wrote:
08 Feb 2017

It would be useful if I could update the default init patch, for example by right clicking on the instrument and selecting "save patch as default".

There could then be a setting in the global preferences to "reset default patches to factory originals" if you wanted to go back.
Anybody ever find a workaround for this?

motuscott

17 Jul 2018

Cubase?
joking 💉
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

w1pl0c

17 Jul 2018

Init Folder Yaaaaaaaayyyy

scratchnsnifff

02 Aug 2018

I always make sure to use a combinator and I make use of the favorites list on the left side of the screen

I have initialized combinators of all my most used synths :D

That’s the beauty of the combinator, you are able to have template setups and effect chains.

With all of this said, it’s surprising that custom initialized patches isn’t already a thing, we can do it with startup projects. So if you are the kind of person who always starts from barebones setups, you can save a few synths with your customized settings. But If you change genres a lot it becomes annoying to change the tempo and all the little details :p
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

w1pl0c

03 Aug 2018

Ableton does it well...
Right click instrument/effect
"Save as Default Preset"

zoidkirb

14 Jul 2021

Necro'ing this thread because I wasn't sure if it was a feature or not yet, and google search brought me back here :-)

Might be a good time to ask though, since R12 is coming soon and surely it's not a huge thing to implement? Sure would be a nice QOL improvement to have....

tobypearce

05 Aug 2021

I don't think you're really necroing this thread - it definitely hasn't been solved yet!! :-)
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

BRIGGS

05 Aug 2021

+1,000,000
r11s

StephenHutchinson

05 Aug 2021

scratchnsnifff wrote:
02 Aug 2018
I always make sure to use a combinator and I make use of the favorites list on the left side of the screen

I have initialized combinators of all my most used synths :D

That’s the beauty of the combinator, you are able to have template setups and effect chains.

With all of this said, it’s surprising that custom initialized patches isn’t already a thing, we can do it with startup projects. So if you are the kind of person who always starts from barebones setups, you can save a few synths with your customized settings. But If you change genres a lot it becomes annoying to change the tempo and all the little details :p
I heartily echo this... I have "init" patches in folders or sometimes in the main left hand panel. I don't even have to drag the patch in... double-click and voom! The beauty of this method is that you can have a bunch of different "init" patches and choose which one you want to load up depending on circumstance. Much more flexible than having a system where you can save the parameters for a single "init" patch to always load up when the instrument or effect is added to the rack, no?
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
:refill: Reason Sound Design & Content Creation
Sound Dimension https://www.sounddimension.io

ReFiils: Ambientia Cinematic Soundscapes | String Theory (Friktion) | Algoritmo (Algoritm)

• Information