Simple but useful combinator updates

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
tobypearce

08 Feb 2017

1. Tool tips should display the value of what they are mapped to
Combinators would be even more useful if their rotaries were updated to reflect the value of the rotary they are mapped to.

For example, I have a standard combinator with a high pass filter, and I've mapped a rotary to the frequency cutoff. If I rotate the actual rotary on the filter (D-Filter) the change is displayed in frequency:
10hz 300hz etc.

On the combinator the rotary provides only the standard midi numbers, so instead of 10hz 300 hz I get:
1 53 etc.

It would be more useful if they showed the actual value of what they are changing.

2. Automation lanes should reflect the name changes
In the same example, I have renamed the rotary "High Pass".
If I want to automate this, the sequencer shows "Rotary 4".

It would be more useful if the automation lane reflected the name change so that you can see what you're working with
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

08 Feb 2017

I like the idea of the 2nd one..

The issue I see with the first one is the rotary can be mapped to more than one control at the same time and of course the values on the devices could be different..

tobypearce

08 Feb 2017

Yes, you're right about the first one. I hadn't spotted that.

Perhaps my suggestion could work if only one control is mapped, but if two are mapped it reverts back to original behaviour.

Exowildebeest

08 Feb 2017

Number 2 is definitely one that should have been implemented already in a bugfix update :)

RandomSkratch

15 Feb 2017

Maybe the tooltip can show multiple values if it's tied to more than one device? I don't know the limitations. What I'd like is the ability to set fixed "snap" points on the knobs. If it controls something that has 5 values then have 5 notched points around the knob.

joeyluck

15 Feb 2017

I've always wanted the ability to assign the knobs to be stepped switches.
Or maybe just add a knob that is assigned as such.

Also, an option to have the buttons behave as radio buttons would be handy.

I make simple Combinators :)

RandomSkratch

15 Feb 2017

joeyluck wrote:I've always wanted the ability to assign the knobs to be stepped switches.
Or maybe just add a knob that is assigned as such.

Also, an option to have the buttons behave as radio buttons would be handy.

I make simple Combinators :)
Having an auto GUI design would be good too. So if you set 5 steps then it could generate 5 visual notches.

Multi position switches as an alternate to buttons? Maybe a more modular design of the panel. Need an x/y pad? Swap out a panel for that.

tobypearce

14 Oct 2017

Just bumping this. I'm cool with Reason 10 focussing on new instruments, but please can the next focus be on the issues in this forum that would so please core users?

This is a very simple example - much more useful if the automation lanes can be labelled.
rotary.jpg
rotary.jpg (361.2 KiB) Viewed 1074 times

scratchnsnifff

02 Nov 2017

Naming automation from combinator/mix channel to sequencer is a super powerful and simple workflow enhancement, I can agree it does almost feel like it was a bug overlooked by whoever designed it :p I honestly thought 10 would bring features dealing with the combinator because vsts really get deep. Hopefully mattias can make something happen as it is probably in the top 10 of most requested. Maybe 10.5 or11 could focus on the combinator and midi functionality I’d pay my weeks worth of wages for more buttons XD
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

cgijoe

02 Nov 2017

Why not second this? Great ideas y'all!

• Information