EMI 2!

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
chimp_spanner

10 Nov 2016

Always found it a little disappointing that the EMI only has one parameter knob, and doesn't send any of my keyboards controls to my external devices. There's a workaround involving multiple EMIs but it's messy. The ideal would be a slightly bigger unit, with assignable CC knobs and buttons, kind of like the combinator has, then you could remote map them and control your hardware synths! CV on the back for each CC slot as well, obviously!

Aquila

10 Nov 2016

Yeah I've always thought the EMI was a little half-baked. Don't get me wrong, I'm really grateful for it but it could be better.

I'd also have liked to see it double as an audio input, allowing you to route your audio interface's input(s) directly to its own audio track/mix channel without having to mess about with multiple rack devices.

Logismos

10 Nov 2016

Aquila wrote:Yeah I've always thought the EMI was a little half-baked. Don't get me wrong, I'm really grateful for it but it could be better.
Please,let me rephrase this for you.
"Yeah I've always thought Reason was a little half-baked. Don't get me wrong, I'm really grateful for it but it could be better"
If I could sum up at this time-I would have to say= 'disapointed'.
Some of the developers must be frustrated to say the least.
Maybe it's time ph really step up,or just step out-- leave it to the ''pro's''..... lol.

TheMiles

10 Nov 2016

OK sorry for my ignorance, but WTF is an EMI ?

Edit : Ahhh OK "External Midi instrument" XD sry for my ignorance!

ljekio

10 Nov 2016

I see only one problem with it - if using multiple EMI I must to change midi port on every devices.
But all of other I can make with EMI easily.
If I need more more any controls I use Hamu ModPanel or CV8X4 knobs for some midi CC outs.
Or simply using Combinator's rotaries and knobs what transformed to CV by 2 Thors.
2016-11-10 18-24-36 Document 1 .jpg
2016-11-10 18-24-36 Document 1 .jpg (102.52 KiB) Viewed 1154 times
2016-11-10 18-24-20 Document 1 .jpg
2016-11-10 18-24-20 Document 1 .jpg (4.28 KiB) Viewed 1154 times
2016-11-10 18-23-42 Document 1 .jpg
2016-11-10 18-23-42 Document 1 .jpg (36.28 KiB) Viewed 1154 times

joeyluck

10 Nov 2016

I'm not sure if everyone is aware (or what the intention of having more knobs is), but just in case you don't know...

You can record/edit automation for all the CC assignments of the one knob (simultaneously existing in the Sequencer).
To me, it exists there as a quick way (from the Rack) to choose a CC value and then 'Edit Automation.'
I also use it to first figure out what parameter I am controller in the external hardware/software.
If you have a MIDI controller with multiple knobs/faders and while recording you are adjusting those controls, the EMI will record and send the changes for all of those CC values.

TheWeathermonger

08 Apr 2017

The thing I would really like on a V2 of the External Midi Instrument is the ability to apply some kind of latency compensation. In practical terms this would involve setting a value in milliseconds. The MIDI data would then be sent with a negative offset of this value (effectively sent early), so that the returning audio could be heard and recorded in sync with other internal sounds.

As it stands I'm doing a lot of moving about and trimming of my external synths recorded on audio tracks. This is an area where Live is way ahead, with both automatic compensation when using the External Instrument device and the ability to fine tune hardware latency for instruments with slower MIDI response.

ReasonUser

08 Apr 2017

TheWeathermonger wrote:The thing I would really like on a V2 of the External Midi Instrument is the ability to apply some kind of latency compensation. In practical terms this would involve setting a value in milliseconds. The MIDI data would then be sent with a negative offset of this value (effectively sent early), so that the returning audio could be heard and recorded in sync with other internal sounds.

As it stands I'm doing a lot of moving about and trimming of my external synths recorded on audio tracks. This is an area where Live is way ahead, with both automatic compensation when using the External Instrument device and the ability to fine tune hardware latency for instruments with slower MIDI response.
Reason doesn't compensate for latency unless you have the internal monitoring off. Then the latency corrective settings under preferences works.

TheWeathermonger

09 Apr 2017

ReasonUser wrote:Reason doesn't compensate for latency unless you have the internal monitoring off. Then the latency corrective settings under preferences works.
Ah, well. That explains why I'd never got the latency compensation to do anything! Bit of a weird design decision to only make it work in that configuration. Completely impractical for the way I have my interface and synths setup.

I guess that alters my feature request to being latency compensation working with internal monitoring.

Thanks for the clarification. :)

ReasonUser

09 Apr 2017

TheWeathermonger wrote:
ReasonUser wrote:Reason doesn't compensate for latency unless you have the internal monitoring off. Then the latency corrective settings under preferences works.
Ah, well. That explains why I'd never got the latency compensation to do anything! Bit of a weird design decision to only make it work in that configuration. Completely impractical for the way I have my interface and synths setup.

I guess that alters my feature request to being latency compensation working with internal monitoring.

Thanks for the clarification. :)
Yes, the manual explains that your ear compensates for the latency when monitoring through reason.
I can't say I understand the logic behind that though. It's definitely a pain when you quantize midi to reason's grid, and then try to record the audio back from the midi out of the sequencer.

• Information