Midi Editing

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Creativemind

16 Aug 2016

Hi All!

Just a little idea I've had for a while (bit like they do on Abelton, well the toggle on/off idea is) I think Reason should have 4 toggle on/off buttons which highlight or light up when on and aren't when off and 1 other Score selector icon for features in the midi editor.

See attached pic.

From the left:- Icons are one for Trigger Notes While Editing, one for Display Notes on the Piano Keys, one for Display Notes on the Notes Themselves, one for Remember the Last Note Length and one for Score Editor/ing.

I had to make the icons pretty big as I lost clarity when making them small enough to fit the panels. The icons were only ideas. I wasn't sure what to use. The Trigger Notes While Editing one I was toying between just a speaker icon or just a note, then I just thought 'go with both'. The Remember Last Note Length I was mulling over what to use for a while. You'll see the Notes on the Notes Icon and the Remember Last Note Length colours are the same as the Midi Editing Clip Colour. I thought it would be a nifty idea to have those icons replicate the colour of the clip, whichever that may be.

The Display Notes On Piano Keys too I thought would not necessarily display the notes on the actual piano keys but behind them, where the C ones are now.

EDIT:- The far right arrow shifts the icon bar along, like scrolls it as I've just thought of 2 other icons.

The 6th and 7th ones I've just added - the guitar. This is strum and like the score editor takes you to a separate menu where you have a dial, and provided you have more than one note in the midi editor and those notes are already highlighted, the dial allows you adjust the notes in the timeline by say 32th or 16th notes apart so the chord kind of strums.

The last one is tools which takes you to a separate menu or window which allows you to pan, filter, adjust volume of individual notes and chord painting could be in this menu too (Yes I know we have Scales and Chords Player Now lol!). You can however select a chord type, say Minor, Major, Maj7, Aug, sus4 and simply draw in an A4 whilst it's on minor and you paint in an Am in the 4th octave. I would also like to see the adding of your own chord types to this list if the chord is just some weird chord which may not be a direct chord with a name perhaps which you can label however you choose. Like I have a chord which is classed as a minor according to the internet but is actually played different than a usual minor, let's say for instance the song was called Monkey, you could label this chord Monkey Chord in the list.

Obviously needs work and probably the icons making smaller perhaps (without losing quality if possible) to be less obvious and look better I think.

Ideas and thoughts welcomed!

EDIT (1.10.17) - I have 28 Midi Editing Features:-

1. Changing Midi Clip Inside the Midi Editor (Being able to select another midi editor clip without having to click out)
2. Chord Painting (Want an Am in the 3rd octave. Choose a minor chord and paint it in on the A note of octave 3, voila!)
3. Click with Pencil Removes Note (as well as adds)
4. Column Play Tool (a tool like the one in FL Studio that put's a line down the midi editor vertically and plays that column of notes)
5. Colouring Indiviudal Midi Notes (So you can colour certain notes to remember them)
6. Comping For Midi
7. Ctrl / Clicking a Note Changes Note Length to that one (To quickly change the note length)
8. Dump to Midi
9. Ghost Notes
10. Group Editing
11. Joining of Notes (Box with mouse or shift click any notes on a particular row and ctrl/J joins them all together from note 1 to the last)
12. Keyboard Shortcut to Slice By Snap (Highlight a long note, and if you say have 1/16th note snap selected, shift/ctrl/S slices it into 1/16th notes)
13. Midi Chase
14. Mirror Copy & Paste (Does a mirror copy)
15. Muting / Unmuting Notes
16. Note Displays (On the notes and back of the piano keys, toggle on/of-fable independently of each other)
17. Paint Tool (a new tool added that can be used for sequencer clips and midi notes in accordance with the snap. Wanna do a quick snare roll? add a snare in the midi editor, select 1/16th note (as an example), choose Paint tool and drag the snare. A snare will be painted every 1/16th note along for as far as you drag. Good for clips in the sequencer too. Drag a midi or audio clip and it will paint it by the snap value)
18. Pattern Copying (My idea, think I did a thread on this ages ago. Have a search)
19. Piano Graphics Enhancement and Shaded Row (Better graphics on the piano (make it look as cool as say the Korg M1 piano on the VST and the key you press on your midi controller makes that piano key depress graphically in the midi editor and a shaded row goes across the midi editor too)
20. Randomize Velocities (Highlight a bunch of velocities and do ctrl / R)
21. Remember Last Note Length (Toggle button next to the snap. If it's on, when you lengthen or shorten notes, the snap changes with it so the next note is always the last note length you used)
22. Right Mouse Click Hold Changes Tool To Scrub Tool (Another new tool, Scrub tool. Hold the right click mouse button down and the tool in the midi editor changes to the new scrub tool. As opposed to the rubber, Scrub tool allows you to just scrub out whilst holding the right click mouse button down without having to click the individual notes. Quicker and easier.)
23. Scale Modes
24. Step Editing
25. Strum Mode
26. Toggle On/Off Trigger Notes Whilst Editing
27. Vertical to Horizontal Midi Editor Display
28. Volume, Panning, Resonance, Filtering & Pitch Bend as well as Velocity for Indiviudal Notes

Thanks!
Attachments
Midi Editing Idea2.jpg
Midi Editing Idea2.jpg (193.89 KiB) Viewed 1376 times
Scrolled Icons.PNG
Scrolled Icons.PNG (107.07 KiB) Viewed 1376 times
Last edited by Creativemind on 01 Oct 2017, edited 3 times in total.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

28 Aug 2016

This is only an idea for now and will obviously need some fine tuning (excuse the pun) but think the core idea is good. Some might say, all those things could be in a drop down menu which some could, but some would be great as toggle on/off icons that light up.

Creativemind

04 Dec 2016

Seems no-one cares about my thread lol!

Creativemind

01 Oct 2017

Great suggestions here.

WongoTheSane

01 Oct 2017

Silence is consent.

Loque

01 Oct 2017

A lot of stuff to read. If i need to learn 26 new midi functions, I would say : meeehhh...

But i agree, there is lot of help needed in the editor, like combine notes, a position cross, the chord spray with strumming is nice, let other tracks shine through. A few simple things can help a lot, too much can be worse.
Reason12, Win10

ljekio

01 Oct 2017

6. Comping For Midi
Agree and I suggested it some years ago, but...

You can do it by F8 menu now. But I would like to see "velocity impact" in regroove menu (like timing impact) for live performance. And yet must be cool to have choice of Ctrl+K - not only 1/8, 1/16, etc, but also positions from F8 menu - user groove.

28. Volume, Panning, Resonance, Filtering & Pitch Bend as well as Velocity for Indiviudal Notes
Midi-protocol can't able it feature. PB and CC can be send and receive only one per channel.

But - punch in/out and comping of midi clips (or three midi recording methods - overdubbing, replace notes and auto alternate take when loop mode) I very likely and wanted.

Creativemind

01 Oct 2017

ljekio wrote:
01 Oct 2017
6. Comping For Midi
Agree and I suggested it some years ago, but...

You can do it by F8 menu now. But I would like to see "velocity impact" in regroove menu (like timing impact) for live performance. And yet must be cool to have choice of Ctrl+K - not only 1/8, 1/16, etc, but also positions from F8 menu - user groove.

Midi-protocol can't able it feature. PB and CC can be send and receive only one per channel.

But - punch in/out and comping of midi clips (or three midi recording methods - overdubbing, replace notes and auto alternate take when loop mode) I very likely and wanted.
Sorry if this is a dumb question...what's PB and CC?

That paint tool (as I've used the paint brush in FL Studio) is amazing, just select the tool, click the clip in the sequencer, then hold and drag and the clip snaps to the quantize / snap value. Same for the midi editor. Click a snare, and drag and hold, do snare rolls in seconds. For it to work good in the sequencer though, we could do with 2 bar, 3 bar and 4 bar snap values. I also think (nothing to do with this) we could do with 128th note in the snap values too. Maybe even beat and seconds?

ljekio

01 Oct 2017

Sorry if this is a dumb question...what's PB and CC?
Pitch bend and Control change (see midi messages description)

• Information