Startup/login screen options: Color theme and audio settings

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
joeyluck

02 Aug 2016

Color Theme

For me, the Default theme is still the way to go the majority of the time.
There are a few instances at night when I might prefer the Dark theme.

Often times I know before I begin a session what theme I would like.
Since it requires restart; the user has to start Reason, change the theme, quit Reason and open it again.

While it would be handy to be able to change it on the fly without restarting, I thought that maybe another way to make it a little more convenient would be to add this option to the startup/login screen.

That way the user could simply start Reason and select at startup which theme they would prefer without having to quit and restart. Of course, there are times when the user will not be asked to login (if he/she is not trying any REs from an authorized computer).
So an option under 'Preferences > Themes' to "Always ask at startup" might need to be added.

Audio Settings

Another thing I think would be handy to select at the startup screen would be audio options such as buffer size and sample rate.
When I open Reason, I go about things differently during songwriting and mixing/mastering. I want my buffer size and latency to be low during songwriting. I choose a larger buffer size when mixing/mastering; throwing in more plugins in that process knowing that it will be more taxing on CPU. But I am less concerned about latency during mixing/mastering stage.

So often, I find am opening up the Preferences and making changes. And when I load Reason the next time, to say do some song writing after doing some mixing, I realize I have to switch it back after I notice the latency. And admittedly, sometimes I don't notice at first if I start writing with a pad. Just figure that attack is extra long :puf_smile:

I don't think these things would clutter the startup screen and would be handy to have.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

02 Aug 2016

Good idea.... 2nd that..

Creativemind

02 Aug 2016

I'll 3rd that...great idea. Another theme seems needed too, something in between dark and white (default).
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

joeyluck

08 Jun 2017

I'd still really like this option of selecting the color theme at startup.

Also, I'd like to add to this idea, the option to select audio settings at the startup screen (adding to first post above):

Audio Settings

Another thing I think would be handy to select at the startup screen would be audio options such as buffer size and sample rate.
When I open Reason, I go about things differently during songwriting and mixing/mastering. I want my buffer size and latency to be low during songwriting. I choose a larger buffer size when mixing/mastering; throwing in more plugins in that process knowing that it will be more taxing on CPU. But I am less concerned about latency during mixing/mastering stage.

So often, I find am opening up the Preferences and making changes. And when I load Reason the next time, to say do some song writing after doing some mixing, I realize I have to switch it back after I notice the latency. And admittedly, sometimes I don't notice at first if I start writing with a pad. Just figure that attack is extra long :puf_smile:

I don't think these things would clutter the startup screen and would be handy to have.

AttenuationHz

08 Jun 2017

joeyluck wrote:I'd still really like this option of selecting the color theme at startup.

Also, I'd like to add to this idea, the option to select audio settings at the startup screen (adding to first post above):

Audio Settings

That is a good idea! I prefer using the default theme myself tried both themes and they are not great looking but there are times at night when selecting dark theme would work better on the eyes having the option at start-up would be very useful. The audio settings is not really an issue since you don't really need to restart reason for the settings to be changed. But having an option for the different buffer size would be handy maybe the better option would be to have your buffer size on the transport bar just to remind you! And the option to change it there.

I'd really love for them to add the option not to quit Reason for windows when you close a project. Many the time I'd be going through projects and accidentally close reason. Like how apps remain open on Macs until you quit.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

• Information