New Redrum Design

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
AttenuationHz

02 Aug 2016

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
qoreybeats wrote:
Propulsion doesn't let you copy pattern to track. :cool:
Since Reason 7 anything that has a CV/Gate out can be copied to track, it only takes 30 seconds to setup a midi loopback (and if setting that up is a hardship, save the setup in your default template)...
Pray tell how can this be done. I am currently using an audio clip to generate gates from a snippet of a sample. I have the different parts isolated hats/kick/clap but there is a lead in there also and there is a delay on the lead at the same frequency of the hat and causing phase on the trigger. If I can get the midi notes onto the sequencer I can delete the gates that are triggered from the lead.
Last edited by AttenuationHz on 02 Aug 2016, edited 1 time in total.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

02 Aug 2016

I do understand where he is coming from when working on a small screen and having to scroll about a lot is slow (using the quick selection box in the right hand corner is a must on a small screen), as of now I have 49" 4K monitor(TV) and my workflow has changed a lot especially with SSL as it totally fits on one screen with over 50 tracks, I experiment a lot more as things are so quick and easy to get to .

Small Tip No.2, In a combinator, with show devices selected, holding down the Alt Key while clicking on that little Arrow will collapse\expand all items only in that combinator..

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

02 Aug 2016

AttenuationHz wrote:
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
qoreybeats wrote:
Since Reason 7 anything that has a CV/Gate out can be copied to track, it only takes 30 seconds to setup a midi loopback (and if setting that up is a hardship, save the setup in your default template)...
Pray tell how can this be done. I am currently using an audio clip to generate gates from a snippet of a sample. I have the different parts isolated hats/kick/clap but there is a lead in there also and there is a delay on the lead at the same frequency of the hat. If I can get the midi notes onto the sequencer I can delete the gates that are triggered from the lead.

If I just create a track for the trigger point will it record to the sequencer. Ima try it.
Sorry for the short answer as I just going out.

I use LoopMidi for my midi loopback (use to use hardware for loopback as well) on PC.
Set up the EMI (External Midi Instrument) to use that loopback.
Point you Gate\CV to use that EMI.
I then from preferences, setup up a new controller keyboard to use that midi device. (generic Midi Controller (no controls))
select a instrument you wish to record your track to and hit record, you should now have your pattern recorded to track...

Note: In Reason 9 you can setup a player to record other patterns to track but I find the above easier to do..

AttenuationHz

02 Aug 2016

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
AttenuationHz wrote:
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
qoreybeats wrote:
Pray tell how can this be done. I am currently using an audio clip to generate gates from a snippet of a sample. I have the different parts isolated hats/kick/clap but there is a lead in there also and there is a delay on the lead at the same frequency of the hat. If I can get the midi notes onto the sequencer I can delete the gates that are triggered from the lead.

If I just create a track for the trigger point will it record to the sequencer. Ima try it.
Sorry for the short answer as I just going out.

I use LoopMidi for my midi loopback (use to use hardware for loopback as well) on PC.
Set up the EMI (External Midi Instrument) to use that loopback.
Point you Gate\CV to use that EMI.
I then from preferences, setup up a new controller keyboard to use that midi device. (generic Midi Controller (no controls))
select a instrument you wish to record your track to and hit record, you should now have your pattern recorded to track...

Note: In Reason 9 you can setup a player to record other patterns to track but I find the above easier to do..

Ah thanks will have to try that when I have the time. Managed to get rid of the phase on the trigger with Quadelectra CV Repeater adjusted it 3ms
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

dzxl88

02 Aug 2016

AttenuationHz wrote:
dzxl88 wrote:
The level and bus channels are okay within redrum/kong. But It creates one channel for all instruments in the SSL mixer. I like my drums in mono so re routing my drums to its own channel while keeping it in redrum works for me. But when you have to do something like this picture. I feel it takes up to much space on the rack if you notice the picture it's 8 mixer tracks with redrum take up majority of screenshot. That is what it looks like on my 15" screen. Mix channels in one combinator routed like this is all I'm asking for. Hopefully this makes sense...
Now your confusing me. Why not just use the Line Mixer 6:2 then. How do feel about Thor? That takes up the space of 9 mix channels. If you add a drop down to Kong or ReDrum its going to take up even more space! Sounds like you'd be happier with the aesthetics if they didn't exist.

UpVote.gif
Not 100% sure on the line mixer 6:2 being able to be routed to ssl mixer through individual mix channels. Doesn't it just come out as one master out? I'm fine with Thor and minimizing Thor by hitting the small arrow. It's the stack of minimized mix channels that make it hard for me to see my project in one big picture. That being said pooh offered a great solution of moving the mix channels to the left column.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPGeez

03 Aug 2016

fieldframe wrote:I don't really see the appeal of these 'big grid' drum sequencers when you can get the same interface in the actual sequencer. Set loop points, hit play, and start drawing things in with the pencil tool.
At first, being an advocate of an integrated drum grid (and I still am), I was about to jump down ur throat. . But after considering what u said and going into my sequencer and checking it out for myself, I must admit u have a pretty legit point! Differences in opinions n viewpoints r awesome :D
Reason is my girlfriend. Sometimes she mistreats me, but I still love her.

Checkout my tunes made with Reason: https://soundcloud.com/geez-musicals

AttenuationHz

03 Aug 2016

dzxl88 wrote: Not 100% sure on the line mixer 6:2 being able to be routed to ssl mixer through individual mix channels. Doesn't it just come out as one master out? I'm fine with Thor and minimizing Thor by hitting the small arrow. It's the stack of minimized mix channels that make it hard for me to see my project in one big picture. That being said pooh offered a great solution of moving the mix channels to the left column.
MonoLine back.PNG
MonoLine back.PNG (955.42 KiB) Viewed 2451 times
MonoLine.PNG
MonoLine.PNG (723.51 KiB) Viewed 2451 times

adfielding

03 Aug 2016

I think the ReDrum is fine as it is, but I would love to see a 64 step melodic sequencer device. Sometimes I like to get away from the main sequencer, but I don't think I've ever seen a 64-step melodic sequencer RE. I could be wrong, though.

AttenuationHz

03 Aug 2016

adfielding wrote:I think the ReDrum is fine as it is, but I would love to see a 64 step melodic sequencer device. Sometimes I like to get away from the main sequencer, but I don't think I've ever seen a 64-step melodic sequencer RE. I could be wrong, though.
You mean something like this:
64 step sequencer.PNG
64 step sequencer.PNG (106.74 KiB) Viewed 2445 times

adfielding

03 Aug 2016

AttenuationHz wrote:You mean something like this:
adfielding wrote:I think the ReDrum is fine as it is, but I would love to see a 64 step melodic sequencer device. Sometimes I like to get away from the main sequencer, but I don't think I've ever seen a 64-step melodic sequencer RE. I could be wrong, though.
;)

RandomSkratch

03 Aug 2016

qoreybeats wrote:I'm not tryna make old man beats, FL got the wave for the youth because it caters to the new generation of producers like Mikewillmadeit, Metro Boomin, Wondagurl etc. We need an update to Redrum, nothing is perfect.
What does this even mean? Old man beats...is that a new genre?
qoreybeats wrote:My point is the Redrum is good but it could be great if it had a better pattern sequencer in the rack. I produce mainly hip hop tracks so it's all about that bounce :cool:
A different pattern sequencer won't make your music "bounce" better. In fact, it's the absence of rigid steps that create the bounce and swing feeling. When you use a step sequencer, everything is going to sound Kraftwerk until you apply a groove or swing to it which..get this...moves the notes off of the grid.

Having all track steps showing like in your FL example only allows you to see where hits are in relation to other sounds... and if you want that use the main sequencer and treat your clips like Redrum patterns...

You want natural swing? Use the main sequencer and play in your patterns with quantization turned off...

And I just looked up those artists you referenced... if anything the Redrum sequencer is exactly what you need because there's no "bounce" in those tracks...it's rigid as a board man! And if that's what kids are calling hip hop these days... :(

RandomSkratch

03 Aug 2016

Stacked in 4 16 step sections or all out on display? That'd be huge!! haha

Thor's step sequencer is the closest but but setting notes on that is... :thumbs_down:

adfielding

03 Aug 2016

RandomSkratch wrote:

Thor's step sequencer is the closest but but setting notes on that is... :thumbs_down:
Yep. Something like Thor's step sequencer, or even a super Matrix would be great. But I realise this is kind of an esoteric request so I don't expect to see it any time soon.

RandomSkratch

03 Aug 2016

adfielding wrote:
RandomSkratch wrote:

Yep. Something like Thor's step sequencer, or even a super Matrix would be great. But I realise this is kind of an esoteric request so I don't expect to see it any time soon.
Stranger things have come out of the PropShop! You never know... hehe

Would you use this to control a Redrum or Kong?

dzxl88

03 Aug 2016

AttenuationHz wrote:
dzxl88 wrote: Not 100% sure on the line mixer 6:2 being able to be routed to ssl mixer through individual mix channels. Doesn't it just come out as one master out? I'm fine with Thor and minimizing Thor by hitting the small arrow. It's the stack of minimized mix channels that make it hard for me to see my project in one big picture. That being said pooh offered a great solution of moving the mix channels to the left column.
MonoLine back.PNG
MonoLine.PNG
Nice setup ! I didn't explain myself properly my bad. What I I meant is individually routing each channel from Redrum or selected channels into their own mix channel. Kinda like how you routed the 6:2 mixer mono into one mix channel bus. I think the ssl mixer is essential to loyal Reasoners. Why not have an option to have Redrum automatically routed to its own individual ssl mix channels without the use of cable routing and 8 mix channels in your rack with separate effects. I like the workaround pooh offered of moving channels to another column. If I saved this as a template no problem...but being that most producers I've seen are doing this anyways. There are videos all over YouTube of people routing Kong / Redrum to their own mix channels per sample pad.

RandomSkratch

03 Aug 2016

dzxl88 wrote:...Why not have an option to have Redrum automatically routed to its own individual ssl mix channels without the use of cable routing and 8 mix channels in your rack with separate effects.
Yes yes (and yes). Right click -> route individual channels to SSL channels.

I used to have a Redrum combinator template that had a 14:2 at the top and Redrum individually routed to each channel. But with the new SSL mixer, those are much nicer (and better) for mixing than the 14:2...

Side note, I'm in the process of updating all my old songs to use the SSL (I came from Reason 4!) and an autoroute would be super handy.

AttenuationHz

03 Aug 2016

RandomSkratch wrote:
dzxl88 wrote:...Why not have an option to have Redrum automatically routed to its own individual ssl mix channels without the use of cable routing and 8 mix channels in your rack with separate effects.

I used to have a Redrum combinator template that had a 14:2 at the top and Redrum individually routed to each channel. But with the new SSL mixer, those are much nicer (and better) for mixing than the 14:2...

Side note, I'm in the process of updating all my old songs to use the SSL (I came from Reason 4!) and an autoroute would be super handy.
@dzxl88 you are contradicting yourself now.

You both may not realise one of most successful selling points in Reason is being able to fully customise routing devices and channels. Its virtual cables are what makes it unique. Reason without virtual cable routing would be like a fly without wings. The videos you see are routed to their own mix channel because that's how the routing is broken in reason when you break the routing on the ReDrum or Kong you can then process the audio separately which is a requirement in production and lets you control the progression of making a beat. If it was a feature for reason to know exactly where you wanted devices to be routed I don't think we would need hands to control it!

@RandomSkratch if you hold shift when creating a device it will not auto route it, if you hold ctrl shift it will copy the device you move without it auto routing. Ctrl shift g will turn off auto grouping. Ctrl click devices selects whatever you click. Ctrl delete will delete the device with breaking the routing.

If your looking for a compromise reason would look better on smaller screens if you could move mix channels into another window on the rack and make that window smaller. Most of the time you don't use all 10 channels on a ReDrum or all 16 pads on a Kong so if it was auto routed to individual mix channels you are going to back to square one with your 15" screen looking cramped.

dzxl88

03 Aug 2016

AttenuationHz wrote:
RandomSkratch wrote:

@dzxl88 you are contradicting yourself now.

You both may not realise one of most successful selling points in Reason is being able to fully customise routing devices and channels. Its virtual cables are what makes it unique. Reason without virtual cable routing would be like a fly without wings. The videos you see are routed to their own mix channel because that's how the routing is broken in reason when you break the routing on the ReDrum or Kong you can then process the audio separately which is a requirement in production and lets you control the progression of making a beat. If it was a feature for reason to know exactly where you wanted devices to be routed I don't think we would need hands to control it!

@RandomSkratch if you hold shift when creating a device it will not auto route it, if you hold ctrl shift it will copy the device you move without it auto routing. Ctrl shift g will turn off auto grouping. Ctrl click devices selects whatever you click. Ctrl delete will delete the device with breaking the routing.

If your looking for a compromise reason would look better on smaller screens if you could move mix channels into another window on the rack and make that window smaller. Most of the time you don't use all 10 channels on a ReDrum or all 16 pads on a Kong so if it was auto routed to individual mix channels you are going to back to square one with your 15" screen looking cramped.
I love routing reason it's the main reason why I use it but imo if you have a multi sample sequencer like Redrum.
A simple right click on Redrum Sample # 1 -> to mix channel . Or pad 1 on Kong --> to mix channel will improve my workflow enough for me to appreciate. That being said this is not a huge deal if it stays the same.

RandomSkratch

03 Aug 2016

AttenuationHz wrote:@RandomSkratch if you hold shift when creating a device it will not auto route it, if you hold ctrl shift it will copy the device you move without it auto routing. Ctrl shift g will turn off auto grouping. Ctrl click devices selects whatever you click. Ctrl delete will delete the device with breaking the routing.
Wha? I know this and isn't really a concern or question...

I use SSL channels for mixing. The Redrum has individual outs. I would like a quick way to route these to individual mix channels instead of creating 10 new mix channels and patching the Redrum one by one... I think that's what dzxl88 is also looking for.

dzxl88

03 Aug 2016

RandomSkratch wrote:
AttenuationHz wrote:@RandomSkratch if you hold shift when creating a device it will not auto route it, if you hold ctrl shift it will copy the device you move without it auto routing. Ctrl shift g will turn off auto grouping. Ctrl click devices selects whatever you click. Ctrl delete will delete the device with breaking the routing.
Wha? I know this and isn't really a concern or question...

I use SSL channels for mixing. The Redrum has individual outs. I would like a quick way to route these to individual mix channels instead of creating 10 new mix channels and patching the Redrum one by one... I think that's what dzxl88 is also looking for.
Yes exactly what I'm talking about...I might sound lazy for not flipping the rack and routing each out into my mix channels...but people are doing these tutorials for such a basic thing. If Redrum treated each sample individually all we would have to do is right click on Redrum #1 ->create mix channel for track and done. We do this with other individual instruments that are not auto routed.

OverneathTheSkyBridg

11 Aug 2016

Your best bet is a pre made template reason file. Keep it in your favourites in the browser. Open this up as needed and copy all the prerouted mix channels and redrum into your current project file. All the routing is preserved. Make another premade reason file for Kong or anything else.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

C//AZM

06 Dec 2016

qoreybeats wrote:I love the Redrum but I think it's time to revamp it for modern producers. I think it should have a better sequencer like Fl Studio for creating patterns. I attached images below to show what I mean for the step sequencer. Let me know what you think.
great idea. I remember programming with a 909 thinking the same thing "if only there was a different row of buttons for each sound."

Data_Shrine

07 Dec 2016

I think it would be great. I mainly use the step sequencer in ReDrum, I rarely draw MIDI notes. To be able to see it all would speed up the workflow (and also be in line with Prop's marketing...)

raccoonboy

26 Dec 2016

ReDrum is great the way it is in my opinion.

Similar to how I like the interface of ABL3 compared with the grid style interface available on the VST. Of course the option would be nice but I'd rather have the restrictions there. Makes me think more about what I'm doing instead of just clicking randomly in a grid. I'd use the sequencer otherwise or another RE as others have said.

Goriila Texas

26 Dec 2016

qoreybeats wrote:
Skullture wrote:
jonheal wrote:
Skullture wrote:Ew ew ew. The FL drum sequencer is the worst looking drum sequencer of all time. Ew. Bad example.
Tell us how you really feel. :)
Redrum is freaking perfect as it is. But I'm only saying this because I've been using this design for 10 years straight now. So, I think the kids want something more flashy these days. :geek:
qoreybeats wrote:
Skullture wrote:Ew ew ew. The FL drum sequencer is the worst looking drum sequencer of all time. Ew. Bad example.
I love Jon Stewart! :D
I'm not tryna make old man beats, FL got the wave for the youth because it caters to the new generation of producers like Mikewillmadeit, Metro Boomin, Wondagurl etc. We need an update to Redrum, nothing is perfect.
Why don't you use FL then?? Redrum is good as is,I don't want to see all the steps like on your OP. I don't make old man beats.

• Information