Notepad

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 1085
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 20 Jul 2016

Why dont you create an empty clip for each word and label it with the corresponding text?
If you're in Aachen, come and visit us at the Voidspace.

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 3565
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 23 Jul 2016

jam-s wrote:Why dont you create an empty clip for each word and label it with the corresponding text?
So you're saying, create a clip for every word? that could be 50 clips a song.

EDIT - Just tried. It doesn't work right, the words were too small, had to really magnify the clips to read the words and what if you're singing a whole song, which is likely the case, then you go off onto another screen. Not to mention the fact that you can't have more than one line a clip.

WE NEED A NOTEPAD - END OF!
Last edited by Creativemind on 23 Jul 2016, edited 2 times in total.
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.14 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Pro Tools First / Steinberg Cubase LE 5
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 3565
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 23 Jul 2016

philosurfer wrote:Having the ability to add notes to a BLOCK or Sequence would solve the problem of needing notes for specific periods in time.

In the video world, most of the software in that space allows for this. I think Logic allows this now as part of their latest release.
Not quite following this. Adding notes to a sequence, what, on the sequencer lane?

I don't use blocks either really, haven't looked into them enough as yet.
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.14 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Pro Tools First / Steinberg Cubase LE 5
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

OverneathTheSkyBridg
Posts: 300
Joined: 15 Jan 2016

Post 11 Aug 2016

Theres a couple ways you can do this. Theres simple text editors out there that can be "always on top" even if they're not the active application. You can size the window where you want it and go ahead with your recording.

The second option, which I use involves using Googoe Docs in an open browser window and Google Docs on a spare tablet. Create your empty lyric doc and wrote your masterpiece, all the while having the same file open in your tablet. The tablet will sync real time to your browser and editing is an alt-tab away.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

User avatar
pushedbutton
Posts: 1273
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Lancashire, UK

Post 13 Aug 2016

I think you're all aiming too low.
Singstar, yes I know - it's a game, has a great interface for a vocal performance. it shows the midi notes you should be hitting, it shows the words you should be singing and it gives you real time feedback on your performance.
Now you could argue that emulating a game would make the software less serious and would pander to noobs but on the other hand if the creative process isn't fun then you're not doing it right.

Image
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

User avatar
bmarsh
Posts: 24
Joined: 13 May 2015

Post 14 Aug 2016

+1 for a native Notepad in Reason.

I've been using: http://bryantmcgill.com/rhyming-dictionary/ for years and it works great as a workaround for writing lyrics in Reason, and includes everything you need. It's also free. I just use a little app like TurboTop to keep it on top as needed and save the file to the same folder as the project file.
"The end is built into the beginning" - Charlie Kaufman

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 7788
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 14 Aug 2016

No integrated notepad pls. Invest resources in something like enhancing the sequencer...
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
bmarsh
Posts: 24
Joined: 13 May 2015

Post 14 Aug 2016

The TMA-9 (Thanks, JP!) is a great tool for notes, rack markers, etc., but not really ideal for writing lyrics. It will get the job done (i've used it in some projects), but i would like to see something more in the way of a simple text editor. I don't think it would take too much of an investment in resources - seems to me it could pretty easily be done - but what do i know? I'm just a dumb guitar player. ( ;
"The end is built into the beginning" - Charlie Kaufman

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 3565
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 14 Aug 2016

bmarsh wrote:The TMA-9 (Thanks, JP!) is a great tool for notes, rack markers, etc., but not really ideal for writing lyrics. It will get the job done (i've used it in some projects), but i would like to see something more in the way of a simple text editor. I don't think it would take too much of an investment in resources - seems to me it could pretty easily be done - but what do i know? I'm just a dumb guitar player. ( ;
#

Exactly, like many other 'really easy' implementable features imo. Hoping for point versions with 9. I still haven't upgraded from 8.3. There's about a dozen little features (or a bit more than little but not that big lol!) that I want before I upgrade.
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.14 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Pro Tools First / Steinberg Cubase LE 5
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
pushedbutton
Posts: 1273
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Lancashire, UK

Post 24 Aug 2016

Loque wrote:No integrated notepad pls. Invest resources in something like enhancing the sequencer...
Quit being so rational, it's not how we do things around here.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 3565
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 08 Feb 2017

stratatonic wrote:
Creativemind wrote:
stratatonic wrote:Sounds good. Maybe they can have a button that alternates/toggles the spectrum analyzer with a note pad...
Sorry to pee on your bonfire here, but I personally wouldn't want that idea myself as that would somehow signify they were related or connected in someway, which they aren't.
No worries, mate...not offended in any way. :cool:
No because the lyrics you're singing (on an original composition when you've only just composed your song on guitar in your living room) might not be the final lyrics to go memorising them. They could just be guide lyrics that you will modify later. I sing just any old words at first just to get the vocal melody underway.
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.14 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Pro Tools First / Steinberg Cubase LE 5
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 3565
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 08 Feb 2017

This would be a good valuable addition to Reason. Yes I know there's many other things it should have before a notepad but something I needed almost immediately after purchasing Reason in October 2012 for writing my lyrics directly into Reason for my guitar tracks.
Last edited by Creativemind on 18 Mar 2017, edited 1 time in total.
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.14 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Pro Tools First / Steinberg Cubase LE 5
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 3565
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 18 Mar 2017

I've been giving this a bit of thought lately. This would be the greatest notepad in a daw I reckon lol!

A Freefloating Notepad (Available in any window with a Show / Hide feature maybe using F12. Not sure if that's used for anything already. Didn't do anything just when I tried it)
Scalable using the sides and top/bottoms dragging with the mouse (Maybe have a minimum and maximum scaling)
The notepad has 5 pages or Tabs (if not 10) to create a new notepad page so then it could be used for notes as well as lyrics (Give us plenty of pages/tabs Propellerheads so no limiting like the precount for the click lol!)
The notepad has at least 3 fonts with the Propellerhead menu font as the default. Maybe Arial and Times New Roman also.
The notepad can use all the colours of the colour pallet as the font colour.
The font can be from 4pt to 20pt in size.
The notepad background can be changed from Current to Default. So if you have a theme selected, the background of the notepad will take on that colour if it's on Current. Default returns it to white and no restart required to apply. Also a checkbox selection available in the notepad to ignore the theme automatically if you so wish.
It has bold, italic, underline options.
Cut and paste text anywhere in the notepad.
You can also block text.
The notepad files are saveable, printable and you can load other notepad files up if you wish.
And last but not least. Have a P and R toggle on/off buttons available at the top of the notepad. When the P is highlighted and the notepad is hidden, the notepad automatically opens when you hit SPACE BAR or play and it opens in the place you last left it before you hid it and to the scale you last left it. The R is the same but for when you hit record regardless of pre-click. So opens as soon as you hit record whether click is on or not.


You could really improve things if later on the game, the Props included an option for you to somehow get the words to highlight in a block in time with the music like karaoke machines sometimes do on the screen. Maybe call this Karaoke mode. Allow other users to create notepad files to karaoke song versions on You Tube and you could just load it up.

One other thing, that many people here might not see the value in for a notepad, especially people that say use paper or use wordpad or word. Well I was studying music technology last year and we were given projects on Logic to do where we had to follow instructions to complete tasks. So things such as:-

1) Open the audio file "Let's Go" into a new audio track.
2) Create a bus for the new audio track.
3) Add Reverb as a send effect to the new audio track using the new bus channel.

That type of thing. This was for teaching under exam conditions, so when you opened Logic, the notepad (or whatever it may be called in Logic) was at the side when opening with all the instructions on it. Now this is for 30 students so the file has to be contained within the DAW and has to be a notepad. So not having this feature contained within the daw itself is letting Reason down immensely.
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.14 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Pro Tools First / Steinberg Cubase LE 5
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
JiggeryPokery
RE Developer
Posts: 1104
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 21 Mar 2017

"So for anybody saying, use TMA for song lyrics, it doesn't work"

I've used TMA-9 a lot for just jotting down lyric fragments, so I disagree it doesn't work at all.

Is it an ideal system, though?

Well, no, of course it isn't:

a) The LCD font is the only viable font (no, the Arial option available now in custom displays still aren't available to user text strings :cry: ); the others are too small or too large. It's not awful, but I'd have loved to at least have used a "proper" text font if one had been available.

b) And crucially, user text strings do not support line returns, so we have to have separate line entry. It's unavoidable.

Is it the only option you have available in Reason right now?

Yes.

Would a proper notepad be useful in Reason?

Absofuckinglutely! You still get a plus one there from me! ;) I still think it will happen too.

But in the meantime I do feel you're dismissing the usefulness of TMA-9 as an interim solution a little too easily, imho! Changing line order does require copy and paste, sure, and I get that's a bit of a PITA, I feel you, but alternatively, one could just create another instance, or perhaps consider using several TMA-4's instead and use them like blocks, reordering devices in the rack.

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 3565
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 10 Apr 2017

Yeah I feel that one will come sooner or later but feel (and don't want to sound negative) that when one does come, it will be very basic and lack many functional things it needs.

Using clips wasn't ideal either as it kind of felt unprofessional although it was ok I suppose. I want a notepad though and will wait till one comes before useing any other methods. Using clips felt like using a torch at night in your fridge when what's needed is a light in the fridge that comes on when you open the door lol!
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.14 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Pro Tools First / Steinberg Cubase LE 5
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

david1806
Posts: 53
Joined: 26 Jan 2018
Location: London, UK

Post 24 Dec 2019

Hi CM..
I know I am a little bit late to the party - but the fact is that there is still no notepad in Reason. And I agree, it would be really handy, especially if it had some customizable features, like chord symbols etc. Come on Reason - sort it out!!!

And just a quick shout out to.....Reason! I bought v11 (the Intro version - it's still awesome!) at the end of the summer and wow - what a programme. I know a DAW is a DAW, and no matter how good it is, if you can't create something decent with something like Reason, you ain't gonna create anything good with anything!!! I love this programme, the sound quality, the sounds, I could on for ever, but I won't..... EXCEPT ONE THING............NOTEPAD!!!

Love to all my fellow Reason users.... :) :) :)

User avatar
Proboscis
Posts: 839
Joined: 28 Aug 2019

Post 25 Dec 2019

david1806 wrote:
24 Dec 2019
Hi CM..
I know I am a little bit late to the party - but the fact is that there is still no notepad in Reason.
Since they pay no attention to most feature requests nor any interest in enhancing workflow with in built tools, the approach needs to be 'workarounds'. On occasion a third-party developer fills the gaps.

And to that, a solution was already discussed in the thread, with Jiggery Pokery's FREE TMA-9 Rack Extension.

It can hold 27 lines of text, in a relatively easy-to read white on black format. And it folds down into a tiny 1U height when you don't need it.

Further to that, you can add your track's scale and chords in the Song Information window, and refer back to it easily enough if you need a reminder.

>
notepad.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
BananaSkins
Posts: 340
Joined: 29 Sep 2017

Post 25 Dec 2019

:thumbs_up: VST notepad...simply the best :thumbs_up:

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 3565
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 08 Jan 2020

We're still waiting for an inbuilt Notepad in Reason.

Since VST integration however (No Mac version I'm afraid) there is CodeFN42 VSTNotepad which I now use. Only visible in the sequencer but does the job for now.
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.14 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Pro Tools First / Steinberg Cubase LE 5
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 3565
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 25 Aug 2020

Yeah as I say here's what I'd like to see, Reason Studios Lyricpad:-

* Opens with the F12 key (show / hide.)
* Free Floating in all 3 windows if you like / Moveable with mouse cursor / Scaleable (there's is a minimum and maximum scale but plenty of scope.) Always opens in the last part of the screen it was closed and to the scale you left it at.
* Has 5 tabs like you get the tabs on Google Chrome (So essentially 5 pages) and the pages display as many characters as say a MS Word page.
* There are 5 fonts to choose from, the Propellerhead Font is the main default font but also Arial, Times New Roman, Courier New and Verdana.
* 5pt to 20pt in Font Size.
* Can use all the colours in the colour pallet (currently 32) for the font ink.
* The lyricpad paper or background colour corresponds with whichever theme you have selected.
* Bold / Italic / Underline and Text Blocking.
* Cut and Paste / Insert Text anywhere on each page, before other text etc.
* Save Lyricpad files and load others up, great for sharing Reason tips and tricks, also printable.
* PNG's and JPG's can be added to the pages in various ways. Bottom or top half of the page, the whole page or in thumbnails (small, medium and large.)
* Opens on playback and record toggle buttons within the lyricpad. If opens on playback is active and the lyricpad is hidden when you hit play, the lyricpad will automatically open (on the screen part and to the scale it was last opened). Opens on record button does the same thing (opens if hidden when record is ebabled and you hit record) and opens pre pre-click.

Icing on the cake but probably a step too far lol! a built in spellcheck. I have sent this idea off to Reason Studios ages ago.
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.14 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Pro Tools First / Steinberg Cubase LE 5
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
Oquasec
Posts: 2807
Joined: 05 Mar 2017

Post 25 Aug 2020

While I like having a built in notepad, there is windows notepad.

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 3565
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 25 Aug 2020

Oquasec wrote:
25 Aug 2020
While I like having a built in notepad, there is windows notepad.
Not ideal, especially because you have to switch to another program while you're about to do a vocal take which can be a disaster quite often. Click inside Reason and then have to fiddle about trying to switch to another program etc
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.14 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Pro Tools First / Steinberg Cubase LE 5
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

rorystorm
Posts: 54
Joined: 06 Jul 2019

Post 31 Aug 2020

Honestly, a pen and a notebook. All you need, all you will ever need. Portable, and cheap. Or free if you steal them from your workplace.

And they last as long as you can be bothered keeping them. I have notebooks of diaries that go back to the early nineties that I still use material from. Can't say that about the shit I wrote on a computer back then.... wait, did I even own a computer in the early nineties?

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 5093
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 31 Aug 2020

rorystorm wrote:
31 Aug 2020
Honestly, a pen and a notebook. All you need, all you will ever need. Portable, and cheap. Or free if you steal them from your workplace.

And they last as long as you can be bothered keeping them. I have notebooks of diaries that go back to the early nineties that I still use material from. Can't say that about the shit I wrote on a computer back then.... wait, did I even own a computer in the early nineties?
Works fine until you look at a note that made sense two months ago and have no idea what it means hahaha. Learned the hard way.
丰2ॐ

rorystorm
Posts: 54
Joined: 06 Jul 2019

Post 31 Aug 2020

MrFigg wrote:
31 Aug 2020
rorystorm wrote:
31 Aug 2020
Honestly, a pen and a notebook. All you need, all you will ever need. Portable, and cheap. Or free if you steal them from your workplace.

And they last as long as you can be bothered keeping them. I have notebooks of diaries that go back to the early nineties that I still use material from. Can't say that about the shit I wrote on a computer back then.... wait, did I even own a computer in the early nineties?
Works fine until you look at a note that made sense two months ago and have no idea what it means hahaha. Learned the hard way.
Ha. There is that. Also reading my own handwriting can be a bit of a task.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests