Notepad

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 3561
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 07 Jul 2016

Hi All!

I know it's probably just a (way down the list) feature for most people, but I find I would benefit a lot from this. I'm a guitarist / singer / songwriter and I need a notepad when recording a vocal. It isn't convenient to keep switching to notepad / wordpad or word when recording a vocal take.

I was thinking about this though. For me, as I said, it's for use for lyrics when recording vocals, so I would need to see this in the sequencer (not the rack), so I can see the recording in progress in the sequencer and I wonder how this could be integrated as it wouldn't be a device as such and as Reason doesn't have vst's, then things don't appear freefloating on the screen randomly (apart from the spectrum eq) so where would it go / fit?

The only thing I can think of is have it as a drop down in the sequencer somewhere (and give it an option to drop down automatically on recording on/off) or just break the norm for Reason and have it openable on the screen free floating to arrange / scale where and how you like.

What do people think?

Thanks!
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.14 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Pro Tools First / Steinberg Cubase LE 5
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
Dabbler
Posts: 361
Joined: 18 Jan 2015
Location: Louisville, KY

Post 07 Jul 2016

I love this post as I have the exact same issue. I have actually typed the lyrics into the sequencer lane but once zoomed the words lose their place and it is hard to get them back in position.

User avatar
stratatonic
Posts: 1164
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: CANADA

Post 07 Jul 2016

Sounds good. Maybe they can have a button that alternates/toggles the spectrum analyzer with a note pad...

User avatar
Dabbler
Posts: 361
Joined: 18 Jan 2015
Location: Louisville, KY

Post 07 Jul 2016

This^ or that big black space when the mixer channels are minimized or you only have a few tracks.

User avatar
Kategra
Posts: 299
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 07 Jul 2016

I think it's a great idea!

User avatar
Ahornberg
Posts: 1791
Joined: 15 Jan 2016
Location: Vienna, Austria

Post 07 Jul 2016

I use this https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... mmentator/ it's free and you can use as many as you want in your rack ;)

User avatar
Dabbler
Posts: 361
Joined: 18 Jan 2015
Location: Louisville, KY

Post 07 Jul 2016

This ^ should work :)

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 3561
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 07 Jul 2016

stratatonic wrote:Sounds good. Maybe they can have a button that alternates/toggles the spectrum analyzer with a note pad...
Sorry to rain on your parade here, but I personally wouldn't want that idea myself as that would somehow signify they were related or connected in someway, which they aren't.
Last edited by Creativemind on 08 Feb 2017, edited 1 time in total.
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.14 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Pro Tools First / Steinberg Cubase LE 5
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 3561
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 07 Jul 2016

Ahornberg wrote:I use this https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... mmentator/ it's free and you can use as many as you want in your rack ;)
Already knew of this, should've stated this in the OP I put up, this isn't suitable for my needs as it's not in the sequencer and (well not sure actually) think it's for more for notes isn't it?

I suppose it would be a solution for now, you can still record whilst in the rack I suppose, just not the perfect solution.
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.14 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Pro Tools First / Steinberg Cubase LE 5
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
Ahornberg
Posts: 1791
Joined: 15 Jan 2016
Location: Vienna, Austria

Post 07 Jul 2016

Creativemind wrote:
Ahornberg wrote:I use this https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... mmentator/ it's free and you can use as many as you want in your rack ;)
Already knew of this, should've stated this in the OP I put up, this isn't suitable for my needs as it's not in the sequencer and (well not sure actually) think it's for more for notes isn't it?

I suppose it would be a solution for now, you can still record whilst in the rack I suppose, just not the perfect solution.
Of course, it's not a perfect solution ... the best solution might be learning the lyrics by hard :D

User avatar
stratatonic
Posts: 1164
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: CANADA

Post 07 Jul 2016

Creativemind wrote:
stratatonic wrote:Sounds good. Maybe they can have a button that alternates/toggles the spectrum analyzer with a note pad...
Sorry to pee on your bonfire here, but I personally wouldn't want that idea myself as that would somehow signify they were related or connected in someway, which they aren't.
No worries, mate...not offended in any way. :cool:

User avatar
stratatonic
Posts: 1164
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: CANADA

Post 07 Jul 2016

Ahornberg wrote:I use this https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... mmentator/ it's free and you can use as many as you want in your rack ;)
Thanks for that.
Ha..nice one JP! :D (And many thanks for the free RE!) :)
Image

User avatar
Raveshaper
Posts: 1085
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 07 Jul 2016

Would this be suitable for the time being?: File > Song Information > More Information
You just need to open it after you start playing the song.

Or, there's always paper...right?
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 3561
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 07 Jul 2016

There is paper yes, but with lyrics, I sometimes need to make many alterations till I'm happy.

That TMA Commentator looks cool actually but would still prefer to see the sequencer.
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.14 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Pro Tools First / Steinberg Cubase LE 5
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 3561
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 07 Jul 2016

It's actually pretty cool man. TMA-9 Commentator. Had this already installed and watching a video on the Props site, never thought of attaching the sequencer then having it split screen to see the sequencer and the commentator at the same time. I usually have all three screens detached see.

Question though, what's the difference between TMA-1, TMA-4 and TMA-9?
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.14 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Pro Tools First / Steinberg Cubase LE 5
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
Ahornberg
Posts: 1791
Joined: 15 Jan 2016
Location: Vienna, Austria

Post 07 Jul 2016

Creativemind wrote:It's actually pretty cool man. TMA-9 Commentator. Had this already installed and watching a video on the Props site, never thought of attaching the sequencer then having it split screen to see the sequencer and the commentator at the same time. I usually have all three screens detached see.

Question though, what's the difference between TMA-1, TMA-4 and TMA-9?
they only differ in size

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 3561
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 07 Jul 2016

Ahornberg wrote:
Creativemind wrote:It's actually pretty cool man. TMA-9 Commentator. Had this already installed and watching a video on the Props site, never thought of attaching the sequencer then having it split screen to see the sequencer and the commentator at the same time. I usually have all three screens detached see.

Question though, what's the difference between TMA-1, TMA-4 and TMA-9?
they only differ in size
Thanks!
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.14 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Pro Tools First / Steinberg Cubase LE 5
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 1084
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 08 Jul 2016

You can also use clip labels in the sequencer to write down your lyrics.
If you're in Aachen, come and visit us at the Voidspace.

User avatar
Dabbler
Posts: 361
Joined: 18 Jan 2015
Location: Louisville, KY

Post 08 Jul 2016

DL the Commentator last night. Had to input my lyrics one line at a time. Fortunately they all fit in the RE space.

Aside from being very tiny font I think this is a viable option. But I believe it can be better.

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 3561
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 08 Jul 2016

jam-s wrote:You can also use clip labels in the sequencer to write down your lyrics.
So if you label your clip (what they're used for), how can you use them?
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.14 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Pro Tools First / Steinberg Cubase LE 5
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 3561
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 08 Jul 2016

Dabbler wrote:DL the Commentator last night. Had to input my lyrics one line at a time. Fortunately they all fit in the RE space.

Aside from being very tiny font I think this is a viable option. But I believe it can be better.
Yeah I used it on a track for the first time last night. TMA-9.

Pretty good actually. Like you say, one line at a time, and (to my dismay) you can't change the preset / style else you lose your lyrics, but pretty cool.

I would've preferred to have seen the sequencer (as I like all windows detached) but thankfully you can place your timeline marker where you want and then go to the rack and hit record.

A good solution for now.
Last edited by Creativemind on 25 Aug 2020, edited 1 time in total.
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.14 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Pro Tools First / Steinberg Cubase LE 5
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
Dabbler
Posts: 361
Joined: 18 Jan 2015
Location: Louisville, KY

Post 08 Jul 2016

Creativemind wrote:
Dabbler wrote:DL the Commentator last night. Had to input my lyrics one line at a time. Fortunately they all fit in the RE space.

Aside from being very tiny font I think this is a viable option. But I believe it can be better.
Yeah I used it on a track for the first time last night. TMA-9.

Pretty good actually. Like you say, one line at a time, and (to my dismay) you can't change the preset / style else you lose your lyrics, but pretty cool.

I would've preferred to have seen the sequencer (as I like all windows detached) but thankfully you can place your timeline marker where you want and then go to the rack and hit record.

A good solution for now.
Ouch - that is good to know.

User avatar
Dabbler
Posts: 361
Joined: 18 Jan 2015
Location: Louisville, KY

Post 08 Jul 2016

Creativemind wrote:
jam-s wrote:You can also use clip labels in the sequencer to write down your lyrics.
So if you label your clip (what they're used for), how can you use them?
I've used this method before by just typing in the lyrics as a label so they line up above the bars in the proper sequence.
The problem is the words don't float properly when the window is resized. So I gave up in frustration.
I eventually do memorize the lyrics but they fade quickly since I don't sing these tunes every day.
So it's really nice to have them inside the song for posterity.

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 3561
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 12 Jul 2016

So was using the TMA-9 tonight...you know the Re that everyone keeps saying 'use that, it's just as good as a notepad'?

Well it isn't. It doesn't do the job properly.

I opened a patch up, the Jiggery Pokery patch, about the best one for song lyrics, and I always (well most of the time) start with the Chorus. So I type the title of the song at the top where it's emboldened (See attached pic where it says 'SONG TITLE), then under that 'Written by ????', then under the first line (the red one), left a one line space, I start to type the chorus lyrics , sing the chorus in the appropriate place of the song using the lyrics.
Anyway, I have the verse melody done, I go to write the lyrics for the verses and what happens, you can't insert text into the TMA before any text you've already typed and have the text after move down, if you get me.

So for anybody saying, use TMA for song lyrics, it doesn't work.

Reason needs a Notepad/lyricpad, with several pages, several interesting changeable fonts, bold, italics, spell check, cut and paste and text that will insert before other text, also savable as a separate file and printable.

I checked the other patches too. Doesn't seem any are appropriate or let you insert text before other text.

I know I could leave several lines space but sometimes the song changes, or may need an extra line. You may not have a Bridge then decide later you want one. Many reasons (excuse the pun) that the amount of lines you may estimate of room to leave may change. Reason should in 2016 have the ability to type lyrics into it in an editable notepad kind of way. Also useful for song notes. Although TMA may be useful for that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Creativemind on 08 Feb 2017, edited 1 time in total.
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.14 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Pro Tools First / Steinberg Cubase LE 5
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
philosurfer
Posts: 87
Joined: 05 Aug 2015

Post 20 Jul 2016

Having the ability to add notes to a BLOCK or Sequence would solve the problem of needing notes for specific periods in time.

In the video world, most of the software in that space allows for this. I think Logic allows this now as part of their latest release.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests