REASON 10 FEATURE REQUESTS

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
esefelipe

02 Sep 2017

aquil wrote:
28 Jul 2017
- allow customizing keyboard shortcuts
- simple dashboard, so i can easily switch between two ore more cpu heavy songs (its currently not possible to close a song without closing reason, when no other song is open), dashboard could show us some news and more
Reason on macOS can remain open without any song document open. There is also a system-wide panel to customize/override app-specific keyboard shortcuts.

Miss Controllerism

03 Sep 2017

ALOT OF FEATURES MISSING ...

1) Note highlighted when im playing a midi keyboard on the piano roll please

2) FLOLDER CREATION option on the sequencer this its URGENT

3) BETTER VST OPTIMIZATION.... cos the performance compared with others DAW its ridiculous!

4) COmbinator needs an urgent update, as well MASTROM AND NNXT

aquil

03 Sep 2017

esefelipe wrote:
02 Sep 2017
Reason on macOS can remain open without any song document open. There is also a system-wide panel to customize/override app-specific keyboard shortcuts.
I'm on windows ;)

Krell

04 Sep 2017

-Graphical overhaul
Bigger/clearer buttons/graphics/knobs
Scalable for those with poor eyesight
Maybe x1/x2/x3 zoom options for rack devices
Reduce dead space
Generally modernise and rework for high resolution monitors
The SSL mixer is great but virtually unusable at current size (Autozoom area picked, ie compressor section?)
Reason 12 // Bitwig 4 // Live 11 // Logic Pro X // Fabfilter // Soundtoys // Arturia // Vintage Hardware

Loque

04 Sep 2017

Krell wrote:
04 Sep 2017
-Graphical overhaul
Bigger/clearer buttons/graphics/knobs
Scalable for those with poor eyesight
Maybe x1/x2/x3 zoom options for rack devices
Reduce dead space
Generally modernise and rework for high resolution monitors
The SSL mixer is great but virtually unusable at current size (Autozoom area picked, ie compressor section?)
I use the Windows Zoom function all the time, but clear, sharp and clean vector graphics would be appreciated.
Reason12, Win10

esefelipe

04 Sep 2017

I would like to mostly see improvements in the Mixer. Some of these have been mentioned earlier in the thread:

- Collapse/hide specific channels or subgroups
- Save/Load all channel settings (not just the inserts)
- THD (total harmonic distortion) and noise emulation available per channel (as an "Analog" button that would enable or bypass it).
- Multi-select several channels to quickly make gang fader or knob movements
- Addition channel EQ curve inspirations. We've got SSL G and E, how about some API/Neve/EMI/Pultec. Without brand names of course.
- Compressor attack control (rather than just the fixed attack speeds inspired by the real SSL)
- A dedicated HPF sidechain for the channel compressor
- Dynamics metering moved to the fader area, so that level, gain reduction and gating/expanding are visible together.
- A visual indicator of everything inserted on a channel. There's already a black "glass" bar above the insert area, maybe that can be expanded to show thumbnail of the entire insert chain, similar to the thumbnail of the entire rack. There's currently no easy way to determine what channels have effects inserted without heading to the rack and expanding each channel. Another option would be a vertically expanding list of plugs, similar to other DAWs.
- CV control of every mixer parameter (we already have automation control from the Sequencer and MIDI control from external hardware)
- Expanded insert device control from the Mixer (this is probably a request for a Combinator 2.0). When moving into the mixing phase of a project, I would love to be able to stick to the Mixer and mostly ignore the Rack. That's not possible with only 4 knobs and 4 buttons available for insert chain control.
- CPU/RAM usage display per-channel (calculating everything in the insert and optionally also everything connected to the channel input, such as a synth or Combi)
- Channel "Off" button: similar to the On/Bypass/Off button in devices, this would completely disable the strip and everything in the insert chain for temporary CPU relief
- any fader/knob can be double-clicked to enter a specific value

chaosroyale

05 Sep 2017

Here are some "Free Lunch" features that would require little or no extra development, but would hugely enhance Reason as a power DAW.

1: NN-XT full automation - all features can be changed realtime on the rack with your mouse, so add those to the combinator/automation options!! This has been necessary since combinators became a thing.

2: Transient shaper: The KONG transient shaper as a half rack standalone.

3: M-EQv2: 2 additional sweepable parametric channels because its 2017 already. Hideable visualization window with spectrum from 20Hz to 25kHz Everything fully backwards compatible.

*- all spectral visualization in Reason should be updated to start from 20Hz. There is plenty of music that uses frequencies lower than 30Hz or requires cleanup of sub frequencies.

edit: the EQ could also benefit from selectable curves for the HP and LP filters.

4: Customizable menu! One simple window in preferences with checkable option to "Show/Hide" any Instrument, Effect, Utility, RE and VSTs. I never use the "players" or some of the effects. Speed up that workflow!

5: Scream5, a switch on the back for "classic mode" with the original annoying phase issues, default is "modern" mode with no phasing. Seriously this needs sorting out!

Stuff that would require some but not too much extra development:

a: OTT-style small, simple, unsubtle Multiband comp/maximizer intended for use as an effect for synths etc rather than as a mastering plugin.

b: NN-XXT - added filter types, more powerful performance modulation for start/loop, and better sample editing. Fully backwards compatible with NN-XT.

c: DO NOT SYNC THIS ITEM option in Store/Authorizer. also REMOVE EXPIRED RE option. Maybe even ADD THIS RE TO EXPIRED LIST to give people a chance to permanently remove REs they do not use any more due to upgrades.

d: THOR2 - It"s THOR but with 20 or 30 additional wavetables, some extra filter types, and Waveshaper/Clipper/Saturation/Limiter for each Filter, with a wet-dry mix parameter for all filters and FX. The Chorus Delay section at the end is really not necessary anymore with all the better FX options so maybe 2 "FX" slots which can toggle the old chorus and delay for backwards compatibility but also include analog echo, EQ, saturation and comp. Not a huge update but Thor is still pretty amazing and this would bring it up to date.

e: Filter2 - Simple and straightforward Full rack size filter. Includes the original reason half rack filter but expanded, more types and with a selection of filters from THOR, MALSTROM etc
Last edited by chaosroyale on 05 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.

chaosroyale

05 Sep 2017

Oh and I completely forgot because its SO obvious - Combinator 2 with 8 knobs and 8 buttons.

michal22

20 Sep 2017

1. Possibility to freeze midi to audio in the same channel - without duplicating in SSL mixer. Ability to defrost channels for editing.

2. Patterns for SSL mixer. Something like patterns in ReDrum, but each pattern records the mixer settings for the verse, transition, chorus, etc. These settings are permanent. If we want to add a smooth change - moving, then we add normal automation. This way we only draw a one line of pattern changes plus moving automation without editing so many parameters. I mean volume, pan, effects intensity, compressor range etc.

3. Super combinator. We set inside the combinator all the parameters on the internal devices and press the right mouse button on the combinator and choose to save the parameters as bank A. Repeat for the remaining 3 banks. The combinator is a rectangular trackpad, where each corner is a separate bank. By swiping our finger we smoothly change the parameters of the devices inside the combinator. This may also be a separate device with a different name. We use the appropriate combinator as needed.

4. Update the current combinator. More inputs, more buttons, more knobs and especially - set parameters in the programmer by drag and drop mode as in parsec synthesizer.

5. Update current player devices plus create something new: for example, a slider-controlled trigger drum release device.

6. Updated SDK for the ability to create player devices by external developers. Updated SDK to equalize developers' chances in the fight against VST.

7. Sequencer update:
- drawing curved automation lines
- apply to scale
- apply to chord
- mixing two clips that overlap
- drag and drop clip from sequencer to devices in rack

8. Update comp mode. Currently there is no possibility of copying inside comp mode. This should be improved. When we have 2 clips of different lengths it is not possible to mix them in comp mode. You have to handle this problem around.

9. Detecting the key and scale in samples. I mean a device similar to serato sampler. A solution that makes life a lot easier.

10. Supports video clips like samples through a new device similar to kong. Video clips are loaded instead of samples. In addition, the ability to apply special effects such as a kaleidoscope, reversing, changing colors and other psychedelic climates. :)

11. Triggering blocks through a midi controller, something like in ableton. Separate patterns for each track (as in FL studio) and possible later placement in the sequencer. For example 5 patterns for drums, 3 patterns for synthesizer, 2 patterns for bass, and then arranging them in sequencer individually for each group.

12. mp3 export.

13. Internal SSL route mixer with priority set based on sidechain and dynamic eq. Possibility of setting several sidechain sources directly in the SSL mixer.

14. Custom categories for extensions and vst plugins. Narrow your search by pressing the letters without pressing the enter key.

15. VST3 support.

16. Repair window tools (F8). For example, using pitch for the notes is very stupid. There should be two buttons. One UP, the other DOWN. We enter the value without pressing ENTER key and the corresponding button (UP, DOWN). Much faster and simpler.
Last edited by michal22 on 25 Sep 2017, edited 3 times in total.
Ableton Live Suite 10 / Reason 10 / Windows 10 / Fingers - also 10 ;)

pushedbutton

20 Sep 2017

chaosroyale wrote:
05 Sep 2017
Oh and I completely forgot because its SO obvious - Combinator 2 with 8 knobs and 8 buttons.
I think we decided the comiombinator would be a better idea, a combinator to contain combinators.
As soon as you give it 8 buttons people want 16.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

sot

25 Sep 2017

sorry for the double post in requests just want to see this before reason 15 :) , that's my workflow most of the times, i don't like to work on one synth at a time :/

A button (live button!?) to record arm all instruments/mixer and everything automation in reason with one click so you can record all movement of buttons etc in reason while playing realtime at once without having to assign multiple midi controllers (fake or real) + multiple instances of virtual midi keyboards and ability to change between them.

The ability to record reason own audio output to audio track, cause some sounds, some mistakes, polar buffer effects can only be heard when you are tweaking/playing live with knobs etc...

Just imagine multiple screens and the ability to record everything you hear and do while playing inside reason with the press of one button.
:reason: 10

AttenuationHz

25 Sep 2017

sot wrote:
25 Sep 2017
sorry for the double post in requests just want to see this before reason 15 :) , that's my workflow most of the times, i don't like to work on one synth at a time :/

A button (live button!?) to record arm all instruments/mixer and everything automation in reason with one click so you can record all movement of buttons etc in reason while playing realtime at once without having to assign multiple midi controllers (fake or real) + multiple instances of virtual midi keyboards and ability to change between them.

The ability to record reason own audio output to audio track, cause some sounds, some mistakes, polar buffer effects can only be heard when you are tweaking/playing live with knobs etc...

Just imagine multiple screens and the ability to record everything you hear and do while playing inside reason with the press of one button.
There was a button at one point that would set all automation into record mode. You can record a reason device onto an audio track already though.

Whichever instrument you want to record just add new audio track set the audio track to route to a new a bus. Now take either the parrelel or the direct out of the device you want to record and input it to the bus and press record source on the bus. Set the input of the audio track to the Bus and you're golden.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

esefelipe

25 Sep 2017

sot wrote:
25 Sep 2017
You can do this now. Check out Page 144 in the manual.

sot

25 Sep 2017

thanks guys i'll dive to it now! there are so many features in reason, the manual from 8.3 version has 1082 pages! from what i see half of the requested features are already there in one way or another and i feel like a noob :)
:reason: 10

Aosta

25 Sep 2017

esefelipe wrote:
25 Sep 2017

You can do this now. Check out Page 144 in the manual.
What is manual?

Tend the flame

Nick Pa

25 Sep 2017

Why bother with making Requests ?

Has anyone watched the announcement video or read about the new features....I mean, the new sound content and instruments for Reason 10 ? What a joke... the grain sampler looks cool, but not worth the upgrade $$.
Did anyone here request these "new" upgrades ? No one that I have talked to or that I've read. Everyone is asking for WORK FLOW, EFFECT UPGRADES/UPDATES AND PARAMETER TWEEKABILITY... I see none of this.
It's pointless to ask any more....THEY OBVIOUSLY DON'T CARE ABOUT WHAT WE WANT, JUST OUR MONEY. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

AttenuationHz

25 Sep 2017

Nick Pa wrote:
25 Sep 2017

Has anyone watched the announcement video or read about the new features....I mean, the new sound content and instruments for Reason 10 ? What a joke... the grain sampler looks cool, but not worth the upgrade $$.
Did anyone here request these "new" upgrades ? No one that I have talked to or that I've read. Everyone is asking for WORK FLOW, EFFECT UPGRADES/UPDATES AND PARAMETER TWEEKABILITY... I see none of this.
It's pointless to ask any more....THEY OBVIOUSLY DON'T CARE ABOUT WHAT WE WANT, JUST OUR MONEY. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Most if not all software has feature suggestions and requests from its user base. At the end of the day its up to the dev team to listen and privilege its users with their ideas in the form of features in their (props) software. Some things might work out some might not work but if there is a repository of ideas when creatively speaking the juices run dry with development it is nice to know that, that resource is ready to take a gander at!
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Nick Pa

25 Sep 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
25 Sep 2017
Nick Pa wrote:
25 Sep 2017

Most if not all software has feature suggestions and requests from its user base. At the end of the day its up to the dev team to listen and privilege its users with their ideas in the form of features in their (props) software. Some things might work out some might not work but if there is a repository of ideas when creatively speaking the juices run dry with development it is nice to know that, that resource is ready to take a gander at!
I know they can't please 100% of people 100% of the time... but it seems like they went 180 on this release. I've rocked with Reason since release 3 and don't recall anyone, friend or fellow prop heads, asking for content upgrade. Of course, more sounds are always welcome and a plus, but maybe compromise ? Instead of 3Gbs of content how about 1.5Gbs and 1 of the dozens of suggestions we've been providing for years ? I don't mean to sound standoffish or ignorant, I'm just disapointed after waiting so long for something I invest so much time, effort and money into. Please don't take offense. I just need to voice my opinion. Thank you :D

AttenuationHz

25 Sep 2017

Nick Pa wrote:
25 Sep 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
25 Sep 2017

I know they can't please 100% of people 100% of the time... but it seems like they went 180 on this release. I've rocked with Reason since release 3 and don't recall anyone, friend or fellow prop heads, asking for content upgrade. Of course, more sounds are always welcome and a plus, but maybe compromise ? Instead of 3Gbs of content how about 1.5Gbs and 1 of the dozens of suggestions we've been providing for years ? I don't mean to sound standoffish or ignorant, I'm just disapointed after waiting so long for something I invest so much time, effort and money into. Please don't take offense. I just need to voice my opinion. Thank you :D
Well I don't remember them saying they would add any of what is in this thread but okay! I'm disappointed myself but what can you do...

Zac

26 Sep 2017

I don't very often voice my desires for Reason but since 9.5 I really want to be able prioritise the browser lists, even if it's just so that vsts with snapshots go above those without.

More, is nice but it can get too much and a way to prioritise and remove old REs permanently would help keep things focussed for me.

At the minute I have a combi of unconnected effects and utilities that I tend to miss but like in my template song file as a reminder but it's clunky.

I have and continue to streamline my vsts but it's a shame this can't be done with REs.

Re8et
Competition Winner

26 Sep 2017

One very good thing would be ability to save Midi clips individually and not the entire song midi.
It would be very much appreciated. Tnx.

Probably it was already asked..

Re8et
Competition Winner

26 Sep 2017

satyr32 wrote:
25 May 2016
I think Reason 10 will be not what you are expecting. Have a look again at the new player devices. Do they look familiar? Yes, Teenage Engineering. Teenage Engineering will be teaming up with Proppelerhead and we will have a new DAW/Hardware Combo that will write history.
Was??????TE is partnering with PH??
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Nick Pa

26 Sep 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
25 Sep 2017
Nick Pa wrote:
25 Sep 2017

Well I don't remember them saying they would add any of what is in this thread but okay! I'm disappointed myself but what can you do...
What can I do?.... Boycott until the SOB's listen to the people (Me being 1 of them) helping keep them employed. I never said they would add what we all are asking for. But, wouldn't it be wise to do so ? :roll: :roll: :roll: Common sense and sensitivity to your customers desires are great things to have if you want to stay in business...

AttenuationHz

26 Sep 2017

Nick Pa wrote:
26 Sep 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
25 Sep 2017

What can I do?.... Boycott until the SOB's listen to the people (Me being 1 of them) helping keep them employed. I never said they would add what we all are asking for. But, wouldn't it be wise to do so ? :roll: :roll: :roll: Common sense and sensitivity to your customers desires are great things to have if you want to stay in business...
In fairness you must have better things to be doing! Sorry It was a rhetorical question.

True story: When working as a barman I used to get this a lot from customers "I pay your wages attitude" never got them anywhere but out the door face first.

It would be wise listening of course but at the end of the day its night time!

The Age Old

26 Sep 2017

My wishlist for sometime now:

-Multiple Block Lane Sequencer: Allows you to arrange blocks on multiple lanes as as if they were midi clips in the regular sequencer

-Accented notes and individual note effects (like slide notes in FL Studios, etc) (Individual note panning, automation, etc in Bitwig)

-An option to make newly drawn midi notes automatically match the length of previously drawn notes (similar to FL and Bitwig)

-Note chopper: chops midi notes into 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, dotted, triplet, and custom patterns etc (similar to FL)

-Piano roll folding like (Ableton)

-Ghost Notes: when drawing notes in a midi clip, notes from other midi clips appear transparent in the background on the grid. (FL, Bitwig)

Come on Propllerhead!!!! Make it happen! I have been with you since Reason 4. You are my Fav and first DAW. I want to stick with you only! Please listen to your fans!

Love,

Bonus: Custom Theme Editing/Coloring. It matters to me dammit!

• Information