Basic Features Come On Props!

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Creativemind

26 Dec 2015

Hi All!

Is anyone else a bit annoyed we're still waiting for basic (or relatively) basic features for Reason in nearly 2016?

These are the main ones for me:-

• When faders are linked, you can adjust the volumes on any faders and they all move in correlation to each other
• Labelling a Track Labels the Clip
• A keyboard shortcut for creating a Mix Channel in the Rack and add a Gain Knob to the Mix Channel
• Timeline Markers
• An Undo Events List (Thank god they upped the Undo's as well from 30 to 300, whoever thought 30 was enough lol!)
• All Parameters in Decibels or Hertz Measurements accordingly, including Automation
• A Preferences Check Box for the Ordering and Labelling of the 3 windows working together
• Auto-Save
• Save As Earlier Version
• Save Mixer Channel Settings
• Dragging Audio or Midi Clips Straight Out of Reason to Anywhere (Folders / Stick / Ext Hard-Drive / Desktop)
• A full colour pallet
• Changing the Colour of the Sequencer Background and Ink
• Chord and Key of Song Display on Transport
• Contrast Knob on Transport
• Re-Labelling of Blocks From the Sequencer
• Multiple Click Sounds
• Multiple Spectrum EQ's Openable At Once
• Bounce To Mono in Bounce Section
• Multiple Voices for Thor and Subtractor
• Automatic Subgroup Button for Kong and ReDrum
• Punch In/Out Markers

Not to mention Midi Editing, see my older post on this here:-

http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php ... 90#p227090

Number 1 on that Midi Editing Features list you can actually already do, I didn't realise and number 2 might be better if you just had a right click option to mute notes, and 3, the razor might not be accurate enough so what about hold shift in midi editor brings a little razor type tool up (which is more accurate / precise) for use within the midi editor for this purpose?

Thanks!
Last edited by Creativemind on 26 Dec 2015, edited 4 times in total.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

normen

26 Dec 2015

"Come on Props" threads finally arrived back in the forum.... omg.

Benedict
Competition Winner

26 Dec 2015

Mr Mind

This is a poor strategy, esp seeing Props have every right to totally ignore this forum. If Reason really doesn't suit you then move on and use Cubase or Fruity or whatever tool has these features.

Let's not fill this place with this kind of thing.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

zakalwe

26 Dec 2015

oh the list is endless.

it's a shame because the basic stuff they did with 6.5-7 was quite strong. i was impressed enough to buy back in from reason 3 and buy a shit load of RE for it, but it's really lost the momentum and they want to do a bunch of fluff mobile stuff now it seems.

but yeah just use something else. software is cheap.

satyr32

26 Dec 2015

You forgot the most important one : Freeze :cool:

Your list has some nice to have features, but for me personally most of them are not mandatory.
But I really struggle with the 1-127 or 1-100 approach. so "All Parameters in Decibels or Hertz Measurements accordingly, including Automation" would be amazing and increase my productivity drasticly.

What do you gain from "Changing the Colour of the Sequencer Background and Ink"? Shouldnt they concentrate on more important tasks or am I missing something? I see that this can make sense in Photoshop but why in a DAW?

"Save Mixer Channel Settings": What I would like to see is saving Mix Channels together with am Combinator. It is quite tedious that e.g. with Kong you have to connect all the outs to Mix Channels again and again and again.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

Goriila Texas

26 Dec 2015

Benedict wrote:Mr Mind

This is a poor strategy, esp seeing Props have every right to totally ignore this forum. If Reason really doesn't suit you then move on and use Cubase or Fruity or whatever tool has these features.

Let's not fill this place with this kind of thing.

This is the feature request forum isn't it? What's wrong with posting here???

I do agree he should move on tho because waiting on props could be awhile. I've been going back and forth myself between S1,FL and Reason trying to find the best workflow,but all have weaknesses. I got music in all three unfinished/finished. I went back to FL Studio as my main DAW too many things I like about it to leave it. If it would sync with a host like Reason does i'd use it with S1 and be good. I only use Reason for note repeat breakdowns with kong an a rpg-8.

The OP really might want to move on or try something else.

Creativemind

27 Dec 2015

For me, the sequencer would just be a lot better in black or a darker colour. A lot cooler / better I think.

Yeah Gorilla, I'm getting into FL Studio now. It's midi editing for instance is light years ahead of Reason. This is FL Studio 10 as well, they're on 12 now, and all upgrades are free. Got fed up of waiting for things that are easily implementable but are very much needed, such as:- faders been linked for adjusting volumes, that wouldn't be hard to implement and would make life so much easier. Someone said once, just group the faders. That isn't the same, then you're creating a new mixer channel that's un-needed and unprofessional looking plus isn't intended for what I wanted, and that was to turn all but one channel down as one channel was quiet in the mix but was already fully up. Then a mate said, put a maximizer on the quiet channel, then it just gets silly. Linking of Faders please props. It's nearly 2016 lol!

Also, an undo events list. I spent about half an hour or so once labelling tracks, clips and colouring them. There was 32 or 33 if memory serves me correct, to suddenly realise I needed to undo something that I'd done a couple of events before I started the labelling. This was before the undo's were upped from 30 to 300 as well. I was well annoyed at the time, very in fact. Then I ended up trying to figure out how to fix what I wanted to undo, to no avail, so bit the bullet, and just undid 40 minutes worth of work as the thing I needed to undo was more important than the labelling/colouring which I could do again. Then had to do all that labelling etc again. Stupid. That's when I realised there was only 30 undo's at the time, 'cause I undid, undid, undid etc till most of that labelling/colouring was undone, then it wouldn't undo any more, so I redid it all again with redo, and counted how many redo's there was, it was 30 lol! Then 8 came out about 3 month after and they upped it to 300, I thought, at last lol! I hadn't needed to undo more than that before really. I was cursing at the time, "30, only 30". Who ever decided 30 would be enough. Considering Reason undoes everything, including colour changes, minute fader changes etc etc. Back to the Undo Events List though, how much simpler would it be to just scroll back through a list to the event you want and undo it, voila!

Goriila Texas

27 Dec 2015

Creativemind wrote:For me, the sequencer would just be a lot better in black or a darker colour. A lot cooler / better I think.

Yeah Gorilla, I'm getting into FL Studio now. It's midi editing for instance is light years ahead of Reason. This is FL Studio 10 as well, they're on 12 now, and all upgrades are free. Got fed up of waiting for things that are easily implementable but are very much needed, such as:- faders been linked for adjusting volumes, that wouldn't be hard to implement and would make life so much easier. Someone said once, just group the faders. That isn't the same, then you're creating a new mixer channel that's un-needed and unprofessional looking plus isn't intended for what I wanted, and that was to turn all but one channel down as one channel was quiet in the mix but was already fully up. Then a mate said, put a maximizer on the quiet channel, then it just gets silly. Linking of Faders please props. It's nearly 2016 lol!

Also, an undo events list. I spent about half an hour or so once labelling tracks, clips and colouring them. There was 32 or 33 if memory serves me correct, to suddenly realise I needed to undo something that I'd done a couple of events before I started the labelling. This was before the undo's were upped to from 30 to 300 as well. I was well annoyed at the time, very in fact. Then I ended up trying to figure out how to fix what I wanted to undo, to no avail, so bit the bullet, and just undid 40 minutes worth of work as the thing I needed to undo was more important than the labelling/colouring which I could do again. Then had to do all that labelling etc again. Stupid. That's when I realised there was only 30 undo's at the time, 'cause I undid, undid, undid etc till most of that labelling/colouring was undone, then it wouldn't undo any more, so I redid it all again with redo, and counted how many redo's there was, it was 30 lol! Then 8 came out about 3 month after and they upped it to 30, I thought, at last lol!
I feel you,v7 is my last version unless they really upgrade features. I find it hard to believe they even use Reason its so many basic things like markers that seem really easy to implement.

pjeudy

27 Dec 2015

Benedict wrote:Mr Mind

Let's not fill this place with this kind of thing.:)
Goriila Texas wrote: This is the feature request forum isn't it? What's wrong with posting here???

......Sorry Benedict you walked into that one :puf_smile:
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

pjeudy

27 Dec 2015

I don't see why the OP should move on ? Doesn't propellerhead say they always welcome feedback? He's expressing his/her point of view. If we've all seen this thread a hundred times already, then maybe we are the ones who should move on....and stay out the forums for a while.

If Props where to incorporate everything in his list we would all be signing Propellerheads praise!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST

Benedict
Competition Winner

27 Dec 2015

It was actually the tone of the requests (or should I say divisive demands) that was taken as unwise (unwelcome/unwarranted).

And no I don't think I got remotely burned, esp seeing those comments were really at a tangent to mine. But if it amuses you to think I did then carry on.
Benedict Roff-Marsh

Creativemind

28 Dec 2015

Benedict wrote:It was actually the tone of the requests (or should I say divisive demands) that was taken as unwise (unwelcome/unwarranted).

And no I don't think I got remotely burned, esp seeing those comments were really at a tangent to mine. But if it amuses you to think I did then carry on.
Sorry Benedict if any tone was expressed, I was at a bit of a low probably when I started this thread but didn't mean it come across that way. It is so frustrating though sometimes, we're nearly in 2016 now and waiting for really basic features. I love Reason (started using it in Sept 2012 on Reason 6 and I'm now on 8.3) but still waiting for basic feature implementations.

Beats me how Reason 8 was advertised as workflow and as far as midi editing goes for instance, only lengthen/shorten notes from the start was added. At least another 10 features missing. Something really annoying, is when you click a note in the midi editor, it doesn't put a grey line across so as you can see where it is in relation to the piano keys, same when you press a key/s on your midi controller, key/s should depress on the midi editor piano and again, put a grey line across. Also, I want to see what notes they are (put the note on the notes or have a way of turning them on/off), same on the midi editor piano keys, display all key notes, on/off toggle buttons for both would be fantastic. Also, muting individual notes and/or sections within the midi clip. Is 'Midi Editing' not work flow? for me it's quite a big workflow thing. So is a button to bring up the transport in the mixer if needed, that's workflow, also an undo events list, labelling a track labels the clip automatically, timeline markers, a secondary tool option and a shortcut for creating a mix channel in the rack too. All workflow. These should have been implemented in Reason 8 along with the drag 'n' drop and browser. They should've also had (with the drag 'n' drop) the ability to drag a midi or audio clip straight out of Reason to your desktop or wherever you like. Think a lot more people would have bought Reason 8 with these added too.

For me even a notepad, as I write songs on my acoustic guitar a lot, and have to keep resorting to using Notepad for my lyrics. This is workflow for me too. So when I go to do a take of a vocal, I have to put on the pre-count/click and quickly maximize notepad and then also get in position to play guitar or sing in front of the mic. Not really the way I should have to work is it. Would a Notepad be that hard to implement? and note boxes for actual notes in each sequencer track and mixer channel and for every rack device also. If you come back to a track after 6 months and can't remember exactly what you were doing with a particular part of your song, very very handy indeed.

Benedict
Competition Winner

28 Dec 2015

I see it this way

oh hang on, wrong clipboard

Benedict Roff-Marsh

Tincture

28 Dec 2015

Benedict wrote:I see it this way

oh hang on, wrong clipboard

isn't it a bit hypocritical to call someones thread comments 'divisive... Unwarranted' and then come back and spam the thread like this? I know I'm being direct but hope you will take it as a genuine question.

Dante

28 Dec 2015

satyr32 wrote:What I would like to see is saving Mix Channels together with am Combinator. It is quite tedious that e.g. with Kong you have to connect all the outs to Mix Channels again and again and again.
+1. This would be a huge bonus for the type of projects I'm doing. Please include any master channels they are routed to as well.

I just did my 120th remix for 2015 and I have a combinator with 16 string NN-XT and another with 8 Brass. Everytime I auto-route - then recombine, I'm still left with the task of panning/volume setting all 16 / 8 and subbing them to a master channel.
Creativemind wrote:For me even a notepad, as I write songs on my acoustic guitar a lot, and have to keep resorting to using Notepad for my lyrics.
Not anymore. Theres a new TMA9 refill for notes, albeit I find a little clumsy having to enter lyric lines in a new line rather than haging it allow simple carriage returns. But I can live with that - just :)

Benedict
Competition Winner

28 Dec 2015

As noted, the Joan Jett pic was a mistake (but who doesn't like lookin' at her). However quoting Steven Stills:

"When you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with"

does have a direct relevance. Sure there are things that would make Reason better* but till then I have gratitude for what I have so as not to poison my own workflow. There is no perfect software but there are so many options that there is a workable fit for each of us.

Can we perhaps not spend so much time being negative (and spitefully picky) and get back to the loving R&R bit?

* discussing them is fine so long as it is civil and constructive, which as I have suggested already was not the case in the OP
Benedict Roff-Marsh

Dante

28 Dec 2015

Put it this way. Will there ever be a time when all features will appear in one DAW so no-one ever uses a different daw ?

I dont think so. All DAWS will have features that others dont and vice versa.

normen

28 Dec 2015

Dante wrote:Put it this way. Will there ever be a time when all features will appear in one DAW so no-one ever uses a different daw ?

I dont think so. All DAWS will have features that others dont and vice versa.
This kind of talk has been around since DAWs have been around. "Oh Cubase has this and that - Logic eat dust!". Next year Logic added that feature as well and added something on top Cubase didn't have so the Logic fanboys hit back.. I always kind of enjoyed that Reason due to its special setup was outside of this "race", it still is in a way - by its very nature it will always provide features other DAWs don't.

pjeudy

28 Dec 2015

Some people are way too sensitive when it comes to REASON or any other DAW that they use.
I had to copy and paste the Title of this forum just to be sure I understood it correctly:
Propellerhead Feature Requests
Yet people are are telling the OP to move on to other Software...to watch his tone when Asking for features! What is that all about? are there Propellerhead employees here ? I'll take a chance and say that OP paid $$$ for his copy and so has every right to express him self about feature request! ESPECIALLY ON A FEATURE REQUEST FORUM :shock:

I YOU are satisfied with all that's in Reason today ..then I don't see why you entered this forum...what where YOU expecting find, if not a long list of Threads for "Feature Request".
Last edited by pjeudy on 28 Dec 2015, edited 1 time in total.

normen

28 Dec 2015

pjeudy wrote:Some people are way too sensitive when it comes to REASON or any other DAW that they use.
I had to copy and paste the Title of this forum just to be sure I understood it correctly:
Yet people are are telling the OP to move on to other Software...to watch there tone when Asking for features! What is that all about? are there Propellerhead employees here ? I'll take a chance and say that OP paid $$$ for his copy and so has every right to express him self about feature request! ESPECIALLY ON A FEATURE REQUEST FORUM :shock:

I YOU are satisfied with all that's in Reason today ..then I don't see why you entered this forum...what where YOU expecting find, if not a long list of Threads for "Feature Request".
Thread has "come on props" in the title and calls out for people who are annoyed. Thats why it sparks discussion. If it was just a list of features somebody wants with a nice "would be cool if they added this at some point" nobody would have batted an eye.

EnochLight

28 Dec 2015

Creativemind wrote:Beats me how Reason 8 was advertised as workflow and as far as midi editing goes for instance, only lengthen/shorten notes from the start was added. .
The workflow improvement being advertised was accurate IMHO. It was more related to the drastic changes in how the browser is handled now compared to earlier versions. It's a lot faster, open all of the time, and finally allows drag and drop of samples and audio as well as dragging and dropping of instruments, effects, other devices & patches allowing you to immediately switch out something while retaining the sequencer data. Song Samples being moved to the always open browser also lets you edit, delete, duplicate or export samples from here and there’s live previewing of audio samples so you can hear them and view their information prior to dropping them in.

And there was more than just lengthen/shorten MIDI notes added in 8. There was also double-click to add notes and double-click notes to delete them as well as quick commands for duplicate (and now there's zoom to selection for selected clips). The sum of all of this is that workflow has improved dramatically, IMHO.

Full disclosure: still, I actually agree with the majority of your opening suggestions (with the exception of 1. "Labeling a Track Labels the Clip" and 2. "Multiple Spectrum EQ's Openable At Once"). For 1., I have different clip names on a single track, so this would not be effective. For 2., this is by design as the spectral EQ controls the particular track in focus. Now, being able to compare two analysis in 1 open window might be kind of cool, though. Regarding the spectral EQ display, what I would like is the addition of a oscilloscope as well as (in addition to the current Octave RTA) an FFT Plot and Spectrograph.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

pjeudy

28 Dec 2015

normen wrote:Thread has "come on props" in the title and calls out for people who are annoyed. Thats why it sparks discussion. If it was just a list of features somebody wants with a nice "would be cool if they added this at some point" nobody would have batted an eye.
Mmm Ok... we need to tell the Moderators to put a sticky on here...regarding the Proper format for Thread titles! :wtf:

Doesn't all Thread titles invite conversations? ....for me, I saw it as inviting a conversation about Features request though, It never dawned on me that OP wanted to be told to leave the Platform if he can't wait for Propellerheads to implement those features. 6 out of 9 People who posted on his (Basic Features Come On Props!) title stayed on topic!

I don't know normen, maybe I'm seeing this wrong, that's completely possible. But I too have a list of Feature Request ... I guess i felt safe knowing that there was a little place on the site where I could post my wants and needs in REASON :redface:

Ok...back on Topic .... I say :thumbs_up: to all your points OP...and also be sure to send Propellerheads an e-mail with your request,

Benedict
Competition Winner

28 Dec 2015

normen wrote:
pjeudy wrote:Some people are way too sensitive when it comes to REASON or any other DAW that they use.
Yet people are are telling the OP to move on to other Software...to watch there tone when Asking for features! What is that all about? are there Propellerhead employees here ? I'll take a chance and say that OP paid $$$ for his copy and so has every right to express him self about feature request! ESPECIALLY ON A FEATURE REQUEST FORUM :shock:

Thread has "come on props" in the title and calls out for people who are annoyed. Thats why it sparks discussion. If it was just a list of features somebody wants with a nice "would be cool if they added this at some point" nobody would have batted an eye.
Exactly. The OP was outside of forum intentions (rules if you must) by not being civil and constructive and should be called (unsure why Mods didn't).

Feature requests in a feature request section have NEVER been questioned. Negativity has. Why Normen & I are being accused over things we DIDN'T say is beyond me.

If you want to quote or comment on any post then be sure you have read what is actually written lest you get called for trolling or some other negative behavior.

:(
Benedict Roff-Marsh

EnochLight

28 Dec 2015

Wait, whaaaaat?

I just re-read the forum rules. In no place does it state that you are not allowed to be critical, negative, or anything like that. Am I missing something?

The closest I could find was don't post anything that is:
offensive, hateful, racist, sexist, discriminatory, obscene, vulgar or in violation of local or international laws.
The OP looking for alignment in his belief that it's taking too long to add features does not seem to fit inside any of those violations.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

pjeudy

28 Dec 2015

Ok Mr Benedict I'll take the bait...
In the spirit of OP's Title "Come On Props"
Benedict wrote:Exactly. The OP was outside of forum intentions (rules if you must) by not being civil and constructive and should be called (unsure why Mods didn't).
Ok..so you appointed yourself guardian of how someone should feel like when they decide to post something...are you being serious? because you felt OP wasn't nice enough to your liking, then it's alright for you to tell him "If Reason really doesn't suit you then move on and use Cubase or Fruity or whatever tool has these features.
Let's not fill this place with this kind of thing" .
what kinds of thing ? he was asking for feature request on a FEATURE REQUEST FORUM?? :wtf: "Come On"

Did you ever stop to think that Mods (who's job that you are taking on) maybe didn't see anything improper or wrong with OP's post "Come On"
Benedict wrote: Feature requests in a feature request section have NEVER been questioned. Negativity has.
There is "Always" a sense of criticism when asking/Requesting features..The problem is how do YOU decide to take those Criticism. if you wear the name Propellerheads on your sleeves..then the slightest things said about them will alarm you.
Think.... 7 other people saw and posted on the same OP and on topic and not a single one of them thought that OP was doing or saying something wrong or not nicely enough. And that includes the Mods!
Benedict wrote: lest you get called for trolling or some other negative behavior.
So i have a different opinion then you on what's going in this thread and I've been clear with my opinion...and you decide to one up me...by pulling the Troll card?.....how old are you? Come On"

I take it you think that it's positive vibes and good behavior from you... telling someone who posted correctly in the correct forum...to "Move on" and "Let's not fill this place with this kind of thing"
And telling them you took the tone of there Post negatively and that his OP was just (divisive commands)...those are all negative points of views from you and bad behaviors from you...which all meets you'r criteria of a Troll.
Last edited by pjeudy on 28 Dec 2015, edited 1 time in total.

• Information