View multiple midi tracks during editing

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
mcatalao
Competition Winner

11 Nov 2015

I have to check that, thanx...

Sent from my HUAWEI G750-U10 using Tapatalk

selig
RE Developer

11 Nov 2015

mcatalao wrote:Agreee with everithing, though in my case i think i'd use it more often. Dissonances can happen in most projects and when you're working on an arrangement for like 3 hours in a row, you start to get used to them as if they are part of the song. Specially those notest that have functions in the chords (a 6th, and a 9th can be functional on jazz but out of line on pop).

Another issue i have with these note representation is the velocity representaion. When you have multiple notes playing at the same exact time, and you want to change the velocity of one note (and not the other) you have to displace one note from the other, edit the velocity and re-place it. That and you cannot visualize the multiple velocities. When you select one note, it will show you the highest velocity one in the back, and the one you selected.

This could be simply solved by focusing the write tool, on a note if it was selected. If no not was selected, shave them all, else cut onl the one selected. Do i make sense?

I liked your mockup ofor the automation, and i would like to see all automation on top of the track. Maybe it could be added a automation lane selector, instead of having a bunch of automation lanes dropping from the main track.
You mention dissonances like they are a "bad thing" - to me they are the "savory" compared to the consonance "sweet". You need both to make a good meal IMO, though sometimes you may want only one.

And tell the Beatles a 6 or 9 isn't "pop"! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

mcatalao
Competition Winner

11 Nov 2015

I understand and agree with that... Problem is some of my clients don't...

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

11 Nov 2015

mcatalao wrote:
Another issue i have with these note representation is the velocity representaion. When you have multiple notes playing at the same exact time, and you want to change the velocity of one note (and not the other) you have to displace one note from the other, edit the velocity and re-place it. That and you cannot visualize the multiple velocities. When you select one note, it will show you the highest velocity one in the back, and the one you selected.
Select note and hold shift, will only edit selected note.

jonheal

11 Nov 2015

JiggeryPokery wrote:Select note and hold shift, will only edit selected note.
Holy crap, this is like the most useful tip I've ever read!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now, I'm going to have to buy all of your stuff to reward you!

EDIT: Except it's not working for me. :?

EDIT EDIT: Shift+Alt (obvious for everyone but me, probably ...)

:puf_smile: :puf_smile: :puf_smile:
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

11 Nov 2015

jonheal wrote: EDIT: Except it's not working for me. :?

EDIT EDIT: Shift+Alt (obvious for everyone but me, probably ...)
I'm not at my PC, but Alt is pen tool isn't it?

Just holding shift should edit only selected note, although you'd need to do ctrl-note to selected multiple notes first. If not, you need a new keyboard, your shift key is broken!

jonheal

11 Nov 2015

Mr. Jiggery, sir,

My keyboard is fine, but maybe we're not talking about the same thing?

I thought you were referring to the case where you have several notes at the same point in the Sequencer so that their velocity bars are all on top of each other. Up until now, I have found this an extremely frustrating situation because I'd have to nudge the notes to the left or right to un-pile their velocity bars.

But (as I thought you were saying). if I hold down the Shift key (AND the Alt key) when a particular note is selected, I can edit the note's velocity bar even when they are all piled up.

Maybe the confusion is that I ALWAYS leave the Arrow tool selected. When I need the Pencil tool, holding Alt key down selects the Pencil tool temporarily. So for the process above and while the Arrow tool is active, Shift-Alt is needed to edit the a piled-up note's velocity.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

12 Nov 2015

esselfortium wrote:
mcatalao wrote:Another issue i have with these note representation is the velocity representaion. When you have multiple notes playing at the same exact time, and you want to change the velocity of one note (and not the other) you have to displace one note from the other, edit the velocity and re-place it. That and you cannot visualize the multiple velocities. When you select one note, it will show you the highest velocity one in the back, and the one you selected.
Holding down one of the modifier keys (I forget which it is, I'm so used to doing it without thinking ;) ) will cause velocity changes to only affect the selected notes, so you can change velocities of certain notes in chords or other overlapping groups, without touching the other notes.
Esselfortium (and JiggeryPokery):

This really works, thanks!!!!! I'm sure this was one of those little enhancements that passed by! :)

jonheal

12 Nov 2015

mcatalao wrote:
esselfortium wrote:
mcatalao wrote:Another issue i have with these note representation is the velocity representaion. When you have multiple notes playing at the same exact time, and you want to change the velocity of one note (and not the other) you have to displace one note from the other, edit the velocity and re-place it. That and you cannot visualize the multiple velocities. When you select one note, it will show you the highest velocity one in the back, and the one you selected.
Holding down one of the modifier keys (I forget which it is, I'm so used to doing it without thinking ;) ) will cause velocity changes to only affect the selected notes, so you can change velocities of certain notes in chords or other overlapping groups, without touching the other notes.
Esselfortium (and JiggeryPokery):

This really works, thanks!!!!! I'm sure this was one of those little enhancements that passed by! :)
Yes, thanks, Esselfortium. I did not see your earlier reply.

This has been my single most frustrating thing to deal with in Reason. This will lower my Prozac intake considerably.

esselfortium

12 Nov 2015

That's actually been in since at least 2.5 (my first version), and probably has been there since the very beginning. Seems to be little-known though!

Another good one is that you can hold one of the modifier keys to temporarily switch to the pencil in the sequencer, so you can draw notes in while holding the key and then move notes around (or use whatever other tool) just by releasing the key. It can help speed up note editing a lot. That one might be more widely-known?

edit: Apparently it is, since it was discussed just a few posts up :oops:
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Creativemind

23 Nov 2015

Orbit-50 wrote:Need this function also. Also a mute tool would be nice. I think Reason is the only DAW left that doesn't have a mute tool for note editing.
I know I've made a thread about the many missing midi editing features in Reason. The amount of times I've been working on a piano piece for a dance track and find it hard (being a novice player) to line up the bass notes and the chords in the same clip. I sometimes need to mute one or the other to then work on the other after I have the rough idea down.

And cutting notes with the razor and joining them back up again.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Orbit-50

26 Nov 2015

Creativemind wrote:I know I've made a thread about the many missing midi editing features in Reason. The amount of times I've been working on a piano piece for a dance track and find it hard (being a novice player) to line up the bass notes and the chords in the same clip. I sometimes need to mute one or the other to then work on the other after I have the rough idea down.
Totally understood.
Creativemind wrote:And cutting notes with the razor and joining them back up again.
I started getting into this not too long ago after years of blowing off the cut tool as a valid tool for use in note editing.
Dude, all your software are belong to me!

1Deborahdoup

26 Nov 2015

∑마포오피≪Opyo01.CoM≫ 【오피요】 》목동오피↙신림건마/건대건마

gak

26 Nov 2015

I know a deborah 1 (aka BROOMHILDA) from another forum......coincidence? :lol:

• Information