Modular GUI? The REview concept.

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Vyckeil

26 Jun 2015

Have you guys ever used Foobar2000 or Blender?

Reason is incredible as a modular studio, but the only thing that's not modular is the UI.

In Foobar, you can add components/applets that can be placed, snapped and resized any way you like. Most internet browsers have extensions that you can install. In Blender you can do pretty much anything you like with the UI, but to me the most important function above all else is that you can create and save "scenes" that preserve the exact settings and placement of the UI, kind of like a combinator for a GUI. My Foobar setup had a Spectrogram and a Spectrum visualizer next to it, and underneath that is an stereo oscilloscope viewer, all of which I can be placed anywhere resize, remove and replaced.

Now, I'm not talking about asking Props to add a Spectrogram in Reason per-se, but what if there was a RE-like SDK that you would allow them outside the rack "instrument" window, maybe even have it's own "extension/tool" window. A container for tools specifically designed for Reason that follow/focus with their respective elements. Press F2, a spectrum EQ window appears, same with F3 with the recording meter, just floating around. I would love the ability to snap (maybe even resize them) inside that window/container. One of the RE that I would love seeing in this is Lectric Panda LLC's Skope and SkopeM4 in that window. I don't like Reason's Spectrum EQ visualizer, I think it's sloppy and I would like the ability to buy a better one.

Having a suite of visual tools on a separate window that follow the track I'm working on would be nice. Have the ability to duplicate the Spectrum EQ and lock it to tracks, maybe have a wall of Spectrum EQs or audio oscilloscopes if I wish. All those windows with their specific tools and placement could be saved in "Blender scenes" and you could load up different ones depending on the work you're doing, composing, editing, mixing, mastering, etc. You'd have to reroute the tools to their proper tracks when starting a new project of course, but it would save time.

Hell, you could even have an entirely different sequencer window that syncs all the main functions and mirrors everything in the main sequencer, but adds features, tools and shortcuts you might want/prefer. Editing MIDI and don't like Reason's piano roll with its velocity and automation all smashed in together, buy another MIDI editor. Prefer ProTools' audio editing prowess, buy the tool that fits your needs. A separate internal sampler that makes things easier? Block editor on a separate window? A marker lane with editable notes that pop as tooltips, anyone? Clip launcher à la Ableton, but with Blocks instead? Automation lanes that have smooth sinewaves that can be reshaped/resized on the fly, maybe even has a CV to lane integrated? Buy it from a devoted developer and Reason addict that understands Reason's mindset.

I call it the REview. I know if Props decides to do this, it's going to take years and years do implement, but I'm a dreamer and I'm patient. I don't want to buy another DAW and switch/rewire to it because it has only a few functions that I like.

Feel free to discuss, add your creative input and tell me that I'm insane or stupid.

Raveshaper

12 Jul 2015

In short: increase the flexibility and ease of use.

Not insane or stupid at all. I think it would be great to have things like "show signal path" or "show device", where either would load in a floating window when not in rack view. That way you could have sequencer/arranger and mixer open, but have a floating display of only the devices you want/need to see on top with an option to minimize, restore, and switch to full rack view.

The spectrum analyzer has a floating window complete with an alpha channel transparent background (or a convincing simulation of one), so the features for creating something like this are already in Reason.

Also, zebra striping and highlighting of channels in the SSL. I need alternating gray backgrounds to differentiate between adjacent channels and selected channels need to be brighter than channels that are not selected.

That's it for my UI thoughts.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

esselfortium

12 Jul 2015

More customizable GUI would be great. Even more than that, though, I'd like to be able to customize keyboard and mouse commands. Double-clicking to add/remove notes was added in R8, but I just find it annoying and would rather switch it off. Being able to define a single control to toggle between rack, mixer, and sequencer would be a huge help for me. Things like that would be great to be able to change.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Vyckeil

12 Jul 2015

esselfortium wrote:More customizable GUI would be great. Even more than that, though, I'd like to be able to customize keyboard and mouse commands. Double-clicking to add/remove notes was added in R8, but I just find it annoying and would rather switch it off. Being able to define a single control to toggle between rack, mixer, and sequencer would be a huge help for me. Things like that would be great to be able to change.
Yes! It's hard to believe that they didn't apply a sort of Remote approach to customizing your shortcuts and disabling features you don't like.

I understand coding the engine to make it as stable as possible, but I'm wondering if Remote maps and codecs-like approach would work fine. Having an external MIDI controller is one thing, messing around with the core engine might be another. Crossing my fingers.

• Information