2 midi editing features that are not here, still...and confused as to why not.

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
asedelmeyer

23 Jun 2015

Hello All,

I am new to the forums. So, I used Reason a lot when it was version 6.X but I went away from it for awhile. So, I am back now after updating to 8.2 and I really like it. I love the browser, the new features since 6 and I am beta testing 8.3 as well...the midi editor has definitely been upgraded since I last used it.

Are the below features available now? If not, I am shocked honestly. They should be standard.

1. Muting individual notes or groups of notes. It seems like this would be super easy to add. I think that every other DAW offers this feature now. you can only mute the entire clip. Bitwig, even as in infant in version 1, has this feature.

2. Temporarily disabling snap to grid, by holding down a key, then moving the notes. Again, most other DAWs allow this. I have tried Alt, Ctrl, and Shift. I basically have to press the "snap" button to toggle it on and off again. Again, even Bitwig, in Version 1, offers this feature.

Correct me if I am wrong please, if these features exist now, but I just can't find them. After 8 iterations, they should be there by now.

A

esselfortium

23 Jun 2015

Press S to toggle snap to grid.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

asedelmeyer

23 Jun 2015

Hi and thank you!

That is a useful tip, I will do that as a quick work around. I am more concerned however with muting notes. I use that all the time in my other DAW setups.

Olivier

23 Jun 2015

I'm not sure if these features "need" to be here.. I myself have never missed them :) but to each his own ^^

Here's what i do in situations comparable to what you are describing:

If i want to nudge a group of the grid (as it were) i select them and drag my mouse through the note position inspector. It allows for very accurate moving. It also has the benefit (at least for me) of not accidentally changing pitch. Coz i'm clumsy that way.

Also, if i want a set of notes out of the clip, i select them and click "move selected notes to new lane" from their context menu. I can then mute that seperate lane. Now if would really want them back into that clip i'm going to have to copy/paste them back in.. But i usually don't.. coz it sounds the same ;)

:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

asedelmeyer

23 Jun 2015

Hi Eauhm

OK, fair enough, need is too strong of a word, and besides it is relative anyway. I really like them, but want is the better word.

Your two suggestions are very good. I just tried them both and I can work with that as a good work around. I will also use the S key to toggle the snap function as suggested.

Thanks all for the tips! This is why I am here, but hopefully I can return the favor down the road.

A

Olivier

23 Jun 2015

I'm quite sure that if i could mute individual or groups of notes i would probably use it :)

Take a look at this one for some quick workflow tips : http://cdn.propellerheads.se/Reason8/Ma ... mmands.pdf or here http://reasonkeyboardshortcuts.com/reas ... shortcuts/ (interactive)

oh... look, CTRL-ALT with arrow keys moves selected notes 1 tick in selected direction ^^ forgot that one.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

asedelmeyer

23 Jun 2015

Thank you for the guides, I have already learned some new key commands, and that last one you mentioned works really well, and if you hit S before you do that, you can extend and move notes without grid restriction. Good stuff!

Thanks again!

• Information