Rack width...

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Marc64

16 Jun 2015

Just sent a email to the props asking and wondering:

"About the rack width, have you guys ever considering the possibilities to create RE's that can stretch over 2 rack spaces?
Would be really cool and nice to not compress everything into one "tiny" rack space.
Just a  thought :) "

Thought from you guys?
Wouldn't it be nice to stretch over a second rack space for the RE's?

Marc64

16 Jun 2015

Yeah, but with like the half rack devices you could add spacers or such ...

EnochLight

16 Jun 2015

Anything is possible.  Assuming the Rack Extension SDK is to evolve one day to handle larger GUI's, and/or foldable/dynamic panels that can be changed - it could really help devs who want to port larger VST that aren't constrained by Reason's current 9U maximum size allowance. 

Here's to hoping!   ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Raveshaper

16 Jun 2015

I think this is a no go without rewriting core code -- again. This is because it is most efficient to define rack spaces in a 2-dimensional array with devices located at points (j, k). Each column j has a unit count of devices equal to k inside it. In order to change the way each "row" k is displayed inside each column j due to the presence of double wide devices, you would need to consume some clock cycles with some tricky code.

Now, if you could select a bunch of devices that are grouped together and have an option to fuse them into one cohesive entity, that would be cool. Allow devices to interlock and act as a singular super device.

Edit: each column has its own k value, forgot to mention that.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

ScuzzyEye

16 Jun 2015

I don't ever want to see a device that can span two columns. And I don't think I'll ever have to worry about that feature being added.

Things I'm sure we'll eventually see, that may help:
  • Zoomable rack, so the controls aren't so small on high resolution displays.
  • Replaceable panels, so all controls don't have to be present for functions that are mutually exclusive.
  • Expanding devices, so the more advanced controls can be hidden until they are needed.
Even now, if a developer can't fit all the controls they need within one of the standard sizes, they probably should re-think their interface. There's some value in designing within limitations.

Puckboy2000

18 Jun 2015

I think it would be cool if you could pop out a rack device where it could be bigger for manipulation.
Maybe even the entire screen. Then a hot key to pop it back in.
Also, I would like a master grid where you could rearrange devices in the rack.
Kind of like how you arrange apps on your iPhone.
A lot of times, as I work on a song, all my instruments and devices are everywhere.
I hate having to drag things over bit by bit.
Maybe it could be done with the Master buses, grouping them together there and the rack automatically follows?
I think Studio One does that now.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than than that" - George Carlin

ScuzzyEye

18 Jun 2015

Puckboy2000 wrote:Maybe it could be done with the Master buses, grouping them together there and the rack automatically follows?
Having things re-order without my say-so is annoying. But if you select multiple mixer channels, or multiple rack devices, or multiple sequencer tracks at once, and then go to Edit, Sort Selected Device Groups, all the other views will be sorted to match the ones you have selected. You can press Ctrl+A to select everything first.

Puckboy2000

18 Jun 2015

Cool. I will try it out. I really have been trying to get more organized with my songs.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than than that" - George Carlin

• Information