Playing different samples in a Combinator via external keyboard, and grouping them conveniently

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
bama

29 May 2015

Hi,

Not quite sure, whether I got across correctly in the title, what I'm trying to do, but let's see.
I've put together a combinator with all the drum samples I need from BFD Core, and I want to trigger them with my external keyboard.
That's easy, and it works.
However, my HiHat for example is all over the keyboard, on black and white keys, with the other drums in between.
I'd like to group them all in one place, then Kick, Snare, and so on.
Only had the time to try that using the programmer on the NN-XT that's responsible for playing the corresponding sample for a Crash Cymbal so far, but moving the sample to different keys seems to transpose the sample up or down as well as move the key on my keyboard.
Am I on the wrong track, does it have to be done differently, or do I have to do it in the programmer for the combinator?
I'd appreciate any input you guys have.

Thanks!

Dave909

29 May 2015

You should make the zone of each sample span the keys you want in the NNXT programmer. You can set the root note seperately from the zone. If you make the zone span one key then only that key will play the sample. I think your hihat is spanning the full keyboard now :)

Benedict
Competition Winner

29 May 2015

Hi

There are a few concepts to get then this will be (time consuming but) easy.

Using a Sample player Like NN-XT will transpose a sample across the whole keyboard. The transposition is based around the Root Note. Commonly if you drop a sample in NN-XT then it will pop the Root Note on C3 and notes above and below are transposed up and down accordingly. Great for a Saw Wave but messy for a drum.

Now you get the idea of a Root Note then you want to work out what key you want that Hat to trigger from and in NN-XT move the Root to that note. Then you want to grab the Zone handles and narrow them down to cover only that note (none above or below).

Do that for every sample and in no time you have a tidy kit.

Once you have this then you don't use the Combi Zones at all. 

Tips, if you pop in 8 samples at the same time (in the same NN-XT) they probably all default Root to C3 so you can use global Zone and Root control to make initial changes like Key Zones. Then you just drag each sample making sure Root stays on the Note you are using as trigger. Also once you have made one good layout then you can save the patch and next time if you want to swap some samples then you can just one at a time and there is less work to do. Any changes are easy to spot as they break your structure really obviously.

The other method (and it isn't good for everything) is to use Kong or ReDrum as they are already set up in the way you want - one note per sample.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

bama

29 May 2015

Hi,
Thanks for your answers so far, I think I have not been as clear as I thought. :-)
I'm not triggering multiple samples per Key now, but I've got the Snare on say C1, and the Rimshot Sample of the same Snare on say, C4, so far away from the normal hit.
I'd like to get the Rimshot to trigger from the Key right next to C1, so I don't have to search for it.
I' m not next to my Music Computer right now, but that Root Note thing may just be what I'm looking for, I'll look into that tonight, and then see whether it works out.
So, thanks for helping me out!

bama

29 May 2015

Right,

Well, moving the Root Keys did the trick. Took me around two hours, but now everything's working the way I want it to.
Thanks again for your input!

Benedict
Competition Winner

29 May 2015

No worries

Next time it won't take as long.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

• Information