Redrum

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
gwakefield

05 May 2015

I love Redrum for programming patterns and often hook up the CV trigger outs to a Kong for my drum patterns, but one thing I've always found frustrating is that when you are proramming patterns, you can only see 16 on/off swiches at once and are forced to use the selector to see the other 48. I'd like to see them have all 64 at once and then the overview for your 4 bar patterns would be nice an apparent, instead of trying to remember what you did, or play through the whole thing.This would only increase the GUI size a little and the range selector could be emilinated. And just as Dr.Rex went to becoming Octorex, it would be backwards compatible.

sdst
Competition Winner

18 Jun 2015

I dream with this.

gwakefield

18 Jun 2015

That's it exactly sdst! :s0801:    :t2018:  Imagine not having to use the 1-16 slider, PLUS being able to see the status of all 64 buttons at once!

selig
RE Developer

18 Jun 2015

OR, imagine seeing all 10 instruments at once to see the entire arrangement "at a glance" - maybe the buttons could be expanded to do both?

I would imagine a complete re-design for this feature, possibly shrinking the buttons a bit when displaying more information. Or possibly a totally "flat" GUI?
/ducks
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

sdst
Competition Winner

18 Jun 2015

that would be cool, they need to improve the redrum, i never use the Dr.Octo Rex I hate to use loop and kong is for drum designer and hip hop lol

Exowildebeest

18 Jun 2015

They may have considered improving Redrum, but Kong was deemed a better idea.

I wouldn't expect a Redrum mkII to be high on the list currently. Certainly not if sample loading for RE's is anywhere higher on the list.

JNeffLind

18 Jun 2015

selig wrote:OR, imagine seeing all 10 instruments at once to see the entire arrangement "at a glance" - maybe the buttons could be expanded to do both?

I would imagine a complete re-design for this feature, possibly shrinking the buttons a bit when displaying more information. Or possibly a totally "flat" GUI?
/ducks
I love the photoshop posted above as well as this idea. Redrum is great, but it seems unnecessarily limited. Doesn't seem like it'd be a huge amount of work to make these tweaks. Then again, I don't do any programming and don't pretend to understand it, but it seems like the underlying code is all there and it'd be relative child's play to give this device much improved workflow (the dreaded "w" word). Is there something I'm missing? Why no Redrum II?

gwakefield

18 Jun 2015

I agree with sdst; I rarely use loops of any kind, but I do use and love using Redrum and/or Kong using the trigger outs from Redrum.  And as Selig said, diminishing th size of the Redrum buttons a little would not increase the difficulty for programming at all but it would be so nice to see all 4 bars at once when you are using a 4/4 time signature at least. 

Biolumin3sc3nt

18 Jun 2015

I agree as well. It's crazy to imagine, after all these years I still use Redrum in every single song I make. My most used native Reason Inst. by far!

Benedict
Competition Winner

18 Jun 2015

At the risk of offending anyone, have you considered using the Sequencer as that will let you see as many steps as you have glasses to cope.

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

joeyluck

18 Jun 2015

Benedict wrote:At the risk of offending anyone, have you considered using the Sequencer as that will let you see as many steps as you have glasses to cope.

Was getting ready to post this same suggestion.

And I made a picture! :)

You can see it all there and it's easier to edit as well. Functions just like buttons.

Attachments
Redrum-Sequencer.png
Redrum-Sequencer.png (63.64 KiB) Viewed 2906 times

sdst
Competition Winner

18 Jun 2015

:)  no way, everything would be more faster in the redrum with the pattern selector
for me.
i use the Sequencer for regroove and tweaking

Benedict
Competition Winner

18 Jun 2015

Yes way.

And Joey you are a better man for making a picture. I was too lazy.

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Raveshaper

18 Jun 2015

In that 1-64 button redesign picture, I imagine a Kong style drum patch editor for each button in the lower left. Basically a re-design of the top section with all the knobs.

Probably it would be better to have some other aspect of the device down there, but being able to show/hide the bottom or top section like in RV7000 or Kong would be nice.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

MDTerps2015

18 Jun 2015

sdst wrote:I dream with this.

In that bottom left hand corner you could put the sample editor
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

sdst
Competition Winner

18 Jun 2015

that's the idea. :)

I apologize for my bad english 

joeyluck

18 Jun 2015

sdst wrote: :)  no way, everything would be more faster in the redrum with the pattern selector
for me.
i use the Sequencer for regroove and tweaking
But you can easily create new note lanes in the sequencer and arrange those as you please.

Definitely not against more options. Just offering this as a suggestion. When I had realized I was overlooking the sequencer and made the switch, I never looked back. 

A great trick I rarely used before was leaving it on the pointer and using Command+Click to write notes. And Reason 8 added the double click feature to add and remove notes with the pointer.

sdst
Competition Winner

18 Jun 2015

everyone has their way of working. i like the Redrum

and I use up to 10 redrum at the same time. lol

I spend more time in the rack experimenting with cv.  :)

jfrichards

19 Jun 2015

The sequencer method for programming and visualizing Redrum has many huge advantages, like editing, drum rolls, copying patterns, subtle variations, transposing to completely different drum hits, velocity changes, keyboard/pad entry, copying melodic midi patterns into it, etc, etc, etc.  It can do simple if you want, but what if you want more?
Attachments
Redrum_2.png
Redrum_2.png (835.73 KiB) Viewed 2898 times

InavigableHeart

19 Jun 2015

I love Redrum, and use it in all the ways people describe above. But I particularly love the oldschool pattern sequencing method, and yeah, the UI could really do with an upgrade... in its current state its stifling, to be polite. Or FECKING FIDDLY on a high res laptop! Ha.

Would be great if PH ugraded it. I was previously of the cynical opinion that this wouldn't happen, as they'd rather leave it to RE devs, and enjoy free slice of revenue, but.... with the lesson of the cool new RV700, we can have hope!

Mind you, I'm interested what Lectric Panda can come up with, he/she's making a drum sequencer, aint they? Judging by Korde, this is bound to be good. Just need that note to track feature, ffs!!!

Jmax

20 Jun 2015

sdst wrote:I dream with this.

I agree that's exactly what we need. Or we could just have a pull down option to turn it into 64 from 16. Yes it can be done in the sequencer window but it's more tedious and not as creative as going to the Redrum to bring drums to life. This is the whole point of the Redrum. Sequencer is just for tweaking in the end I believe and adding finishing touches.

Tincture

20 Jun 2015

I love that redrum with 4 banks of 16. I use redrums cv outs to trigger Kong every time now and this would add 4x the functionality for me. I wouldn't be so lazy to copy the 1 bar loop x 3 then do an edit for the 4th , 8th. Now I could get a truely 4 bar groove going! Sorry but when it comes to drums, I find the sequencer to be the worst tool. Whereas, quickly making note/velocity changes as the beat plays, completely intuitive.

Jmax

20 Jun 2015

Tincture wrote:I love that redrum with 4 banks of 16. I use redrums cv outs to trigger Kong every time now and this would add 4x the functionality for me. I wouldn't be so lazy to copy the 1 bar loop x 3 then do an edit for the 4th , 8th. Now I could get a truely 4 bar groove going! Sorry but when it comes to drums, I find the sequencer to be the worst tool. Whereas, quickly making note/velocity changes as the beat plays, completely intuitive.
Agreed., although Id still love to see the full 64 pads as it gets a little confusing when having to work on 16 at a time and wait for the loop to go around again and 'listen' to what you've. Just be nice to a have a visual cue.

One thing I wonderwd how to do. I know how to connect my Redrum CV's to trigger the kong. But I like to add two effects always on the 1 2 Aux of the Redrum. Now if I'm triggering sounds with Redrum through kong I guess I'm just adding the aux effect to the kong channels and not Redrum?

Tincture

20 Jun 2015

I meant I liked your new 64 view (4 x 16). As for aux sends, you'll need to do that in Kong... It'll all be in the manual.

ProfessaKaos

21 Jun 2015

jfrichards wrote:Image 

The sequencer method for programming and visualizing Redrum has many huge advantages, like editing, drum rolls, copying patterns, subtle variations, transposing to completely different drum hits, velocity changes, keyboard/pad entry, copying melodic midi patterns into it, etc, etc, etc.  It can do simple if you want, but what if you want more?
Yeah I don't understand why people are so fixated on Redrum's step sequencer when the main sequencer does everything Redrum's sequencer does but more.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

• Information