Things that have been hassling me

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Micgees

20 Apr 2015

1.  no right click on a audio clip and convert it to mono, i know the work around but its a basic function that should be in there already.

2.  havent found a way just to save a midi clip...would be so useful (not midifiles either)

3.  too many areas that have control of mute and solo, but do not activate them elsewhere...big headache if you muted on the mixer but you are in sequencer view and cant figure out why the track isnt playing.

4.  Reason cant support multiple interfaces at once WHICH SUCKS...cant use Musicio because of it.  LAME. (IE) soundflower cant run beside motu audio express nor apogee duet...every other daw there is can do this.

5.  Its too many steps to open a wav/aif in the audio editor.

6.  no render to mp3 m4a or etc?

7.  there's not a mastering or precision eq out the whole entire flock, its a daw...why not?  spoke to fabfilter through email and was told the RE format is too limiting for their effects...so not even an option to buy one...and yet PROQ is on ipad in auria? how is this?

8.  Can we please update the 1995 Sampler? ever?  It is beaten by all other samplers in all other DAWS...I know it'll be a RE, but still we need this...something nowish, vsynthish?

9. why is the tuner only available for audio input on audio tracks...it would be great to use in other areas...especially patch design.

10.  There are no guitar Effects in your app?  but there are amp sims?  hahaha wtf.

ALSO:  a chop to silence feature...where the the audioclips can have a threshold applied to eliminate the noise between words etc...

but in all honesty make reason except an extra audio interface so i can use audiomux and midimux or musicio with soundflower and im excited.  

Gaja

25 Apr 2015

Why would you want to convert a single clip to mono?
If I was looking to save a midi clip I'd save it in a session along with others.
I actually consider the mute/solo behaviour to be a feature (and a good one)
If you create an aggregate device properly Reason will accept it as audio interface (haven't done that so far, but seen it work)
Well it's two steps to open an audio clip in the audio editor. Put in sampler, right click, select edit.
When does an EQ start to be 'precise' and when can an equalizer be used in mastering?
Well about the sampler I kind of agree in that it appears to be pretty limited, not supporting scripting, key changes etc.
You can use any mix channels output as input for an audio track, so you can use the tuner on anything.
There are plenty guitar effects, but they all function to serve more than this one purpose. Basically as soon as you use any effect with a guitar it's a guitar effect.
Chop to silence feature is called gate and exists since Record 1.0.
Render to mp3 or m4a is something that is not available in Reason, but I'm fine converting the files in other programs.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

normen

25 Apr 2015

Judging from his other post this user doesn't seem to be interested in answers. Add to that he tells the members of a Reason user forum that *they* should change "their" app.. Safe to ignore I suppose :)

Gaja

25 Apr 2015

Well, maybe you're right. Anyway, it was worth a shot, I guess. Someone at some point may benefit from something in this thtread :)
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Micgees

26 Apr 2015

Why wouldnt you use an eq in mastering? I wouldnt master without one.

Are you telling me that any eq in reason is even remotely comparable to fabfilter pro q? If so which so i can buy it.

where is the gate that cuts silence and how do i go about using it? Seriously i need this yesterday :) . Dont tell me its possible without telling me how, ya tease. Is it hidden in the tools?

When creating an aggrigate device you have to eat up your physical IO by looping/patching from out to in...and you risk a feedback loop. You also lose in latency which is why i have pro io..so this is NOT a solution really.

The whole point of audiomux or musicio is to be able to get audio from my ipad into reason throu the usb port in 32 bit quality without having to use up multiple ins and outs, without feedback loops, and without hassle...if reason is a daw it needs a few more daw features.

Saving an midiclip is way better than saving a crappy midifile, midifiles have to be reassembled...i mean i guess i could make a huge reasonfile full of midiphrases and then load it side by side and drag and drop between two sessions but this is lame.

Umm
Convert to mono is essential and included in every daw except for reason? Why is it in all others if not useful? I happen to use it a great deal. I mean i can do it by flipping the audio tracks, patching the left to left on the show devices tab and then bounce them and erase the other tracks, but this is like a 15 step process vs right click cobvert to mono...so i dont see how i am out of line for wanting a very basic daw feature.

I like reason, but it is light in its daw ass! I hope reason 9 finally adds some great sampling features and some great daw features, and you guys shouldnt update because reason is perfect and you guys dont want those features right? Im just kidding... Yall are defending too hard, not kidding about that.

Ty for replying with questions to my questions, i do however need the help i asked for if anyone would oblige?

Ps: how do i route an audio track with an audio clip to the tuner so that i can tune audio, havent got that to work out at all? Sometimes a sample needs to be pitched a little better to a project and its common from older sources...so i need it to work. The tuner should have been a rack device it would have been easier to use.

Note: i love that any effect with a guitar Hooked up to it is a "guitar effect". Thats some funny ship right there my dude! But its incorrect, in its most basic ideal...im talking about effects made for guitars such as good amps and pedals? Have you guys ever used anything besides reason? I cant tell if you have.

jam-s

26 Apr 2015

Thank you for your enlightening words of wisdom, Micgees. I suggest you read the Reason manual, as some of your questions will be answered there.

selig
RE Developer

26 Apr 2015

Not sure why you feel anyone suggested you NOT use an EQ in mastering - That being said, I'd DEFINITELY master without one if it wasn't called for. But judging from your comments I feel you are seeing Reason as a different tool to how it is intended to be used. And there are a few things you don't seem to understand in Reason. All in all, I'd say Reason sounds like maybe it's not for you, unless I'm mis-reading your comments here.
:)
Micgees wrote:Why wouldnt you use an eq in mastering? I wouldnt master without one. Are you telling me that any eq in reason is even remotely comparable to fabfilter pro q? If so which so i can buy it. where is the gate that cuts silence and how do i go about using it? Seriously i need this yesterday :) . Dont tell me its possible without telling me how, ya tease. Is it hidden in the tools? When creating an aggrigate device you have to eat up your physical IO by looping/patching from out to in...and you risk a feedback loop. You also lose in latency which is why i have pro io..so this is NOT a solution really. The whole point of audiomux or musicio is to be able to get audio from my ipad into reason throu the usb port in 32 bit quality without having to use up multiple ins and outs, without feedback loops, and without hassle...if reason is a daw it needs a few more daw features. Saving an midiclip is way better than saving a crappy midifile, midifiles have to be reassembled...i mean i guess i could make a huge reasonfile full of midiphrases and then load it side by side and drag and drop between two sessions but this is lame. Umm Convert to mono is essential and included in every daw except for reason? Why is it in all others if not useful? I happen to use it a great deal. I mean i can do it by flipping the audio tracks, patching the left to left on the show devices tab and then bounce them and erase the other tracks, but this is like a 15 step process vs right click cobvert to mono...so i dont see how i am out of line for wanting a very basic daw feature. I like reason, but it is light in its daw ass! I hope reason 9 finally adds some great sampling features and some great daw features, and you guys shouldnt update because reason is perfect and you guys dont want those features right? Im just kidding... Yall are defending too hard, not kidding about that. Ty for replying with questions to my questions, i do however need the help i asked for if anyone would oblige? Ps: how do i route an audio track with an audio clip to the tuner so that i can tune audio, havent got that to work out at all? Sometimes a sample needs to be pitched a little better to a project and its common from older sources...so i need it to work. The tuner should have been a rack device it would have been easier to use. Note: i love that any effect with a guitar Hooked up to it is a "guitar effect". Thats some funny ship right there my dude! But its incorrect, in its most basic ideal...im talking about effects made for guitars such as good amps and pedals? Have you guys ever used anything besides reason? I cant tell if you have.
Selig Audio, LLC

Micgees

27 Apr 2015

So helpful...joy

Gaja

27 Apr 2015

It's not about defendig a software, it's about pointing out that most of the stuff you talk about would be easy as pie, if you cared to read the manual.
Sure I could give you step by step instructions on how to use the gate, but since you haven't found that yet (it's in the ssl channel strip), I assume that you a) don't know what a gate is in the first place and b) don't care to practice using it. Just touch a few dials and say it's crap...
Seriously Check out the manual, it will give you detailed instruction on how to use every single knob in Reason, and also what Reason is capable of.
I have never had to convert a single clip to mono. Not when I started using music software 12 years ago, not when I worked as a producer, not in my work as a foley artist/editor and I haven't heard anyone had to use it in sounddesign, mixing of films, editing of any kind... It's ok it may be standard daw feature, so explain to me how you do it in ProTools please (and when is it essential to use it?).
Also the workaround you suggested is kind of lame indeed, why not just dial the width to 0 or use a stereo imager, or just plug one cable in the mixer channel/audio track's inserts (left out to left in)? So quick and easy!

About the tuner: every mix channel device has a rec source button, which makes its outputs available as an input in Audio tracks. If that track is record enabled, it should show up in the tuner.

About equalizers... I'm not too much into mastering, so I can't say whether or not any one of the eqs available matches the fabfilter eq, and frankly I don't care about what I don't have. I care about what I can do with what I have and the three times I have "mastered" a song I did so without any fabfilters or the like and the customers were content.

I've never seen anyone trying to cable up two interfaces and expect it to work...
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202000
Doesn't say anything about physical cables, except the usb ones.

Btw I wrote these questions for you to answer to yourself, not to me. Although of course you can answer them to me, maybe I can learn something.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

ScuzzyEye

27 Apr 2015

Gaja wrote:About the tuner: every mix channel device has a rec source button, which makes its outputs available as an input in Audio tracks. If that track is record enabled, it should show up in the tuner.
You would think, but it only works for the little tuner in the sequencer, not the big, floating meter/tuner. The floating one only works with actual inputs on the audio interface. I don't know why that limitation is in place. But the little tuner is better than nothing.

Gaja

27 Apr 2015

Gaja wrote:About the tuner: every mix channel device has a rec source button, which makes its outputs available as an input in Audio tracks. If that track is record enabled, it should show up in the tuner.
ScuzzyEye wrote: You would think, but it only works for the little tuner in the sequencer, not the big, floating meter/tuner. The floating one only works with actual inputs on the audio interface. I don't know why that limitation is in place. But the little tuner is better than nothing.
Oh, really? Well I suppose I have to apologize then. Sorry everyone, didn't have Reason in front to confirm this, should have checked properly first. But the small tuner is better than nothing, I guess...
Cheers!
Fredhoven

normen

27 Apr 2015

Micgees wrote:Why wouldnt you use an eq in mastering? I wouldnt master without one. Are you telling me that any eq in reason is even remotely comparable to fabfilter pro q?

If so which so i can buy it. where is the gate that cuts silence and how do i go about using it? Seriously i need this yesterday :) . Dont tell me its possible without telling me how, ya tease. Is it hidden in the tools?

When creating an aggrigate device you have to eat up your physical IO by looping/patching from out to in...and you risk a feedback loop. You also lose in latency which is why i have pro io..so this is NOT a solution really. The whole point of audiomux or musicio is to be able to get audio from my ipad into reason throu the usb port in 32 bit quality without having to use up multiple ins and outs, without feedback loops, and without hassle...if reason is a daw it needs a few more daw features.

Saving an midiclip is way better than saving a crappy midifile, midifiles have to be reassembled...i mean i guess i could make a huge reasonfile full of midiphrases and then load it side by side and drag and drop between two sessions but this is lame.

Umm Convert to mono is essential and included in every daw except for reason? Why is it in all others if not useful? I happen to use it a great deal. I mean i can do it by flipping the audio tracks, patching the left to left on the show devices tab and then bounce them and erase the other tracks, but this is like a 15 step process vs right click cobvert to mono...so i dont see how i am out of line for wanting a very basic daw feature.

I like reason, but it is light in its daw ass! I hope reason 9 finally adds some great sampling features and some great daw features, and you guys shouldnt update because reason is perfect and you guys dont want those features right? Im just kidding... Yall are defending too hard, not kidding about that. Ty for replying with questions to my questions, i do however need the help i asked for if anyone would oblige?

Ps: how do i route an audio track with an audio clip to the tuner so that i can tune audio, havent got that to work out at all? Sometimes a sample needs to be pitched a little better to a project and its common from older sources...so i need it to work. The tuner should have been a rack device it would have been easier to use. Note: i love that any effect with a guitar Hooked up to it is a "guitar effect". Thats some funny ship right there my dude! But its incorrect, in its most basic ideal...im talking about effects made for guitars such as good amps and pedals? Have you guys ever used anything besides reason? I cant tell if you have.
1) The question was what do you think you need in an EQ for mastering that the M-Class EQ (its even called Mastering-class) in Reason doesn't do.

2) The SSL channel in Reason has a gate, as was said, read the manual on how to use it. Theres several RE gates as well.

3) When you select two different devices in any other DAW as input and output thats nothing different than an aggregate device

4) Yeah, MIDI clip support in Reason could be improved however you can copy-paste any track from one project to another if you stay within Reason anyway.

5) Reason doesn't really have audio files, all audio is stored in the project file so it doesn't really have tools to convert audio "files" as they're not there. You can make a channel mono by simply lowering the "width" parameter in the SSL channel strip to zero.

6) As was said, use a Mix Channel to put any audio in there and select it as input for another audio channel, then open the tuner on that channel. Again, if you don't know how, the manual is there to help.

lowpryo

27 Apr 2015

Micgees wrote:So helpful...joy
well a lot of people on this thread have been trying to help you! but mostly I agree with selig - if these aren't satisfying answers to your long list of problems and requests, then maybe Reason isn't for you. especially when your criticism of some features is: "other DAWs can do it". well then, use those other DAWs! all of them have their own quirks and it seems like Reasons quirks just aren't jiving with you at all. there's no shame in that really.

selig
RE Developer

27 Apr 2015

Micgees wrote:So helpful...joy
You didn't ask for help - why did you expect answers to be "helpful"?

That being said…
What do you need help with, I'm always more than happy to help!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

TheMiles

27 Apr 2015

That Fab Filter thingie looks awesome though...

chimp_spanner

28 Apr 2015

I think most people around here are pretty friendly/helpful! The problem arises when people criticise the software in such a way as to imply that "real" or "serious" musicians couldn't possibly work with it, or that we must not have any experience outside of Reason. I've been a Cubase user since it was in black and white on the Atari, right up to Pro 8. I still like working in Reason precisely because it's different, although it is lacking a few small features that'd refine the experience significantly, I'll agree!

Mastering EQ:
Admittedly I neglect mastering a little, but there appear to be a few options on the Rack Shop. The new ReQ131 looks like it would be good as it has stereo, mid and side processing.
Gate:

As others have pointed out, it's right near the top of the channel strip. There is also a Rack Extension called G8 Dynamic Gate if you want a bit more control, but the channel strip will do fine.
Aggregate Devices:

Can't comment as I don't work in this way. I know on a PC you can use something like ASIO4ALL and have access to all inputs and outputs across all devices, but your latency will only go as low as your highest device. If you're on Mac, I don't know the score there.

MIDI Clips:

Agreed this would be useful. MIDI file/clip handling is currently kind of squiffy.

Convert to Mono:

There are many ways around this; first one that springs to mind is using the channel width control on the SSL strip, or simply placing the MClass Stereo Imager at the start of the signal path so that all subsequent devices are processing a mono signal. Or insert Stereo Imager, bounce mixer channel, insert as new track, job done.

Tuning Audio:

Depends on what kind. If it's mixed timbre/polyphonic material, then I would use your ears as no tuner will be suitable. If it's monophonic, you could load up a Neptune Pitch Adjuster, and disable Transposition. There is a small yellow indicator under the green line which will show you how far off pitch it is. That is the only workaround I can suggest short of physically routing the audio to a new audio track.
Guitar Effects:
I use DC-09 with Kuassa Creme. It's right up there with my POD HD Pro, Laney IRT Studio, Guitar Rig 5 Pro and all the rest. Just because an effect isn't explicitly labelled as a 'guitar effect' doesn't mean it isn't suitable. In fact it's nice working in Reason as opposed to Cubase 8 precisely because I try things out that I wouldn't normally. If I want traditional plugins and modelled amps, I have all that in Cubase. Reason is just a different program.
With regards to integrating iOS music making apps, this is something I'm still struggling with. So far my best results have been with exporting stems directly to drop box and then carrying on the arrangement inside of Reason. But not all apps support multi-track renders or even Drop Box, and you have to root around in iTunes to find the renders and..ehh..it's just kinda crappy.

Hope at least some of this helps. For all its quirks and missing features, Reason is well worth persevering with!

stratatonic

28 Apr 2015

Micgees wrote:havent found a way just to save a midi clip...would be so useful (not midifiles either)
I've accidentally right clicked on a midi clip several times in the past - wanting to export that clip into a folder where I could use it somewhere else. But, no...
Yeah, I would like that feature. Right click and export out an audio clip while you are at it, Propellerhead.
Micgees wrote:but in all honesty make reason except an extra audio interface so i can use audiomux and midimux or musicio with soundflower and im excited.
I can use musicio with soundflower in Reason - why can't you? Google Aggregate device mac...

Gaja

29 Apr 2015

Right click and export audio clip is an option and it works well. It's just called bounce, but that shouldn't matter too much...
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Olivier

29 Apr 2015

There's a great tuner included in your Motu's CueMix FX software. You can focus it on any in, mix or out of your interface.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

gak

30 Apr 2015

chimp_spanner wrote:  
I use DC-09 with Kuassa Creme. 
What is a DC-09?

• Information