REASON MIXER - FIXED MUTE&SOLO !!!

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
devilfish

15 Apr 2015

Please Props,

FIX IT !!

It is not possible to do EQ/Comp. Settings with a fast A/B (solo and with Song) comparison !!

selig
RE Developer

15 Apr 2015

It works quite well for me when you detach the mixer, probably even better than what you suggest here IMO. Looks like this:

The advantages are that the entire fader section remains visible as you scroll up the rest of the rack.

:)
Attachments
Screen_Shot_2015-04-15_at_12.39.53_PM.png
Screen_Shot_2015-04-15_at_12.39.53_PM.png (110.92 KiB) Viewed 1471 times
Selig Audio, LLC

normen

15 Apr 2015

The props aren't here, please use their suggestions mail if you feel like you need to start your post with "Please Props", "WTF Props", "Come on Props" or similar  :roll:

JoshuaPhilgarlic

15 Apr 2015

devilfish wrote:Please Props,

FIX IT !!

It is not possible to do EQ/Comp. Settings with a fast A/B (solo and with Song) comparison !!

Agree! This is one of those things that suck a lot in every mix.

selig
RE Developer

15 Apr 2015

devilfish wrote:Please Props,

FIX IT !!

JoshuaPhilgarlic wrote: Agree! This is one of those things that suck a lot in every mix.
What am I missing here, this is already possible to do when you detach the mixer, right (as I demonstrated in my previous post)? You can also collapse the insert and sends section quickly which will also bring the EQ/Comp section directly above the solo/mute if you don't want to detach the mixer, as in these pics (much quicker and more accurate than scrolling IMO):
Image  Image 

Attachments
Screen_Shot_2015-04-15_at_12.53.45_PM.png
Screen_Shot_2015-04-15_at_12.53.45_PM.png (51.23 KiB) Viewed 1464 times
Selig Audio, LLC

Gaja

16 Apr 2015

I agree with Selig. With the Mixer window detached it's simply a breeze to eq and compress properly.
FIX IT!
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Yonatan

23 Apr 2015

I think the idea is acctually a good one. I´m on an 13" laptop many times and this would improve my workflow. 
And I often find myself working in a split mode in my workflow. I use "solo" and "mute" buttons very often on the fly,
not only when in full window in mixer mode. Some are fine with current placement of solo and mute, I think a replacement would fit the laptop better than current. 

Gaja

24 Apr 2015

I think it would be very weird to work with. Mute and solo buttons on the bottom of the channel strip? It makes no sense because i think the signal flow would require these buttons to be placed before the fader. Also it creates this weird black bar and leaves us with less screen real estate.
It has been suggested before, but I think the easiest way would be to detach your mixer window. It's really easy, you can switch windows with cmd+> (probably ctrl+> on win) and it gives you what you need witout creating a situation that forces everybody else to change their workflow to an illogical one.
I think I'm just tired, but for a moment there I was really afraid they would actually do it :D
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Yonatan

24 Apr 2015

I just know I have recognized the same scrolling when working on small screen and dont really want to go full mixer view, and my full screen mixer view on the laptop don´t even have enough space even if I try to close some sections, it´s inconvinient to work on small screens. So I think the point is made right, but for me it´s really the same thing with the fader, so that whole bottom section is where I need to adjust while changing EQ or Dynamics. So when I reflect on it, I rather not just change the position of Solo/Mute. It´s the whole bottom section I would like to being able to "lock" if I need, so that scrolling only is above that base-section. As soon as I change EQ and Dynamics, the volymes changes and I need to adjust properly, so scrolling up and down just to get back to the base, is tiering in the long run.

When it comes to signals, as it´s not limited to hardware, that is one of the advantages of a DAW. But at the same time I like the feel of the analog signal flow, but in some cases it just dont make sense when not having the physical knobs in front of you but are on a little laptop. But for now I guess this is something one have to live with when working with Reason. PH could likely instead give us different mixer views to choose from, so that I could choose one depending on if I am at a big screen or a tablet or a laptop. Different technical devices needs different knobs. That flexible ways to have some options would really be wonderful as it could integrate Reason through the different devices. But more likely is to have different layouts alltogether for the whole Reason, not only the mixer. We could have a GUI limited tablet mode, and we could have a laptop mode, and a desktop mode. Same devices and same thing, just different looks and design to fit the demands on each way to work. So if you start a song on a tablet, and you continue on a laptop, you just change the mode to fit, and later on a desktop, you have that mode adjusted to that environment.

selig
RE Developer

24 Apr 2015

Gaja wrote:I think it would be very weird to work with. Mute and solo buttons on the bottom of the channel strip? It makes no sense because i think the signal flow would require these buttons to be placed before the fader.
Technically speaking, if you want to mimic signal flow the mute/solo button should be place before the SENDS! This is one of my pet peeves with Reason because this is NOT how the real SSL works FWIW. To demonstrate this, put a send in "pre fader" mode and then mute the channel - on every other console I've ever worked on, the send will KEEP sending when the fader is muted. But on this mixer, the pre-fader send signal is muted when the channel is muted. :frown:
Selig Audio, LLC

normen

24 Apr 2015

selig wrote:Technically speaking, if you want to mimic signal flow the mute/solo button should be place before the SENDS! This is one of my pet peeves with Reason because this is NOT how the real SSL works FWIW. To demonstrate this, put a send in "pre fader" mode and then mute the channel - on every other console I've ever worked on, the send will KEEP sending when the fader is muted. But on this mixer, the pre-fader send signal is muted when the channel is muted. :frown:
Hm, for live consoles I always want the MUTE to actually mute pre-fader sends.

selig
RE Developer

24 Apr 2015

selig wrote:Technically speaking, if you want to mimic signal flow the mute/solo button should be place before the SENDS! This is one of my pet peeves with Reason because this is NOT how the real SSL works FWIW. To demonstrate this, put a send in "pre fader" mode and then mute the channel - on every other console I've ever worked on, the send will KEEP sending when the fader is muted. But on this mixer, the pre-fader send signal is muted when the channel is muted. :frown:
normen wrote:
Hm, for live consoles I always want the MUTE to actually mute pre-fader sends.
I should have qualified "studio consoles"!

In the studio, you typically use this feature for HP sends where you need to be able to freely mute a channel in the control room without muting it in the phones. Also, when using it for an effect, it's nice to just mute the channel to hear the return only - pulling down the fader means you have to remember where it was before you moved it.

Selig Audio, LLC

normen

24 Apr 2015

selig wrote:I should have qualified "studio consoles"!

In the studio, you typically use this feature for HP sends where you need to be able to freely mute a channel in the control room without muting it in the phones. Also, when using it for an effect, it's nice to just mute the channel to hear the return only - pulling down the fader means you have to remember where it was before you moved it.

Yep, with a digital console (which the Reason SSL effectively is) it should be easily possible to configure that though.. But I agree that in most of the cases the Reason SSL will be a "studio console" and thus should work as you said though.

selig
RE Developer

24 Apr 2015

selig wrote:I should have qualified "studio consoles"!

normen wrote:
Yep, with a digital console (which the Reason SSL effectively is) it should be easily possible to configure that though.. But I agree that in most of the cases the Reason SSL will be a "studio console" and thus should work as you said though.
Having both options would of course be the best solution - but I still wish they stuck with the original if there's no option. Same for the way Solos and the pan section works. 

Selig Audio, LLC

normen

24 Apr 2015

selig wrote:Having both options would of course be the best solution - but I still wish they stuck with the original if there's no option. Same for the way Solos and the pan section works. 

You can really make an engineer look bad if you switch his console to live/studio mode respectively eh? ;)

Gaja

24 Apr 2015

Gaja wrote:I think it would be very weird to work with. Mute and solo buttons on the bottom of the channel strip? It makes no sense because i think the signal flow would require these buttons to be placed before the fader.
selig wrote:
Technically speaking, if you want to mimic signal flow the mute/solo button should be place before the SENDS! This is one of my pet peeves with Reason because this is NOT how the real SSL works FWIW. To demonstrate this, put a send in "pre fader" mode and then mute the channel - on every other console I've ever worked on, the send will KEEP sending when the fader is muted. But on this mixer, the pre-fader send signal is muted when the channel is muted. :frown:
Yes this is something I've run into aswell. Muting works for stuff like sidechaining, but not for pre fader send fx. A bit inconvenient, but it has not been a big problem for me so far...
Cheers!
Fredhoven

• Information