RSN8: more control over stretch settings

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
syncanonymous

20 Mar 2015

Well, I am discovering as I work with RSN8 after being on 4 for the past 6 years. I do prefer the control of stretch and dynamics in Recycle as compared to the three stretch settings in RSN8.
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

syncanonymous

20 Mar 2015

Uh, yeah....I found the Disable Stretch this afternoon:-)
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD

selig
RE Developer

20 Mar 2015

syncanonymous wrote:Well, I am discovering as I work with RSN8 after being on 4 for the past 6 years. I do prefer the control of stretch and dynamics in Recycle as compared to the three stretch settings in RSN8.
They are two totally different things though. In ReCycle the only "stretch" that is available is a custom algorithm used to extend ONLY the tail of each slice (and leaves the attack untouched as I understand it).

In Reason, stretch applies to the entire audio track, and there are three different algorithms to choose from. As for the "dynamics", they only work in ReCycle because of the slices like an ADSR in a synth - note that you can basically do the same thing with the ADSR in Dr Octa Rex and do it non-destructively (and polyphonically) to boot!

For creating a good clean REX file, nothing beats ReCycle IMO. For everything else involving stretching/pitching, I use Reason.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

syncanonymous

20 Mar 2015

Thanks for that:-) I didn't know about the algorithm differences. I agree, Recycle appears more precise....I got lots more to experiment with in RSN8.

So, as far as turning stretch off in Reason (IME), if you then dbl-clk on said track's audio, then inline audio editing is also disabled, thus you get no slices, just the Comp view...makes sense...but it doesn't work as I had assumed earlier in my 1st response to myself:-) That said, I did get acceptable results slicing vocal syllables in RSN. 

selig
RE Developer

20 Mar 2015

syncanonymous wrote:Thanks for that:-) I didn't know about the algorithm differences. I agree, Recycle appears more precise....I got lots more to experiment with in RSN8.

So, as far as turning stretch off in Reason (IME), if you then dbl-clk on said track's audio, then inline audio editing is also disabled, thus you get no slices, just the Comp view...makes sense...but it doesn't work as I had assumed earlier in my 1st response to myself:-) That said, I did get acceptable results slicing vocal syllables in RSN. 
Slice editing is done using stretching, but on a more precise "beat by beat" basis. Turning stretch off therefore also turns off slice editing. Probably stating the obvious at this point! 

:)
Selig Audio, LLC

gak

27 Mar 2015

Stupid question: 

Is it worth having recycle in addition to reason for someone who does a lot of audio recordings? Do they integrate well? 

syncanonymous

27 Mar 2015

I suppose the question is what do you mean by integrate. RSN and Recycle are two different programs, so you'd have to jump from one program to the other. Yes, Recycle exports rex files which RSN is designed to utilize. The huge difference is that you have to tell/input the BPM and bars and beats of the audio you want to slice or otherwise process. In RSN, your audio has likely been recorded into RSN, so BPM and bars and beats is already taken care of.

I am new to slicing in RSN, but I'm not a noob to RSN. From my recent experience, and the workflow I am used to, I would say that if slicing using only RSN, it makes sense to have several versions of the song you are working on and one of those versions should be for editing slices, because of constant switching between different Sequencer modes and constant zooming in and out make it easy to slip or delete a clip on another track. I am very happy with the improvements in RSN zooming as I have just upgraded from RSN4 and zooming is a different world in 8; so much better! 

Contrary to RSN's swiss army knife (does everything) functionality, Recycle has one view: slicing and processing audio. Recycle does not stretch when you drag in the timeline. You can't really drag a slice in RSN without it stretching; there is a key/mouse combo to slide but it NEVER works for me first time. I have to Hold cntrl+ lft clk drag which will stretch 90% of the time on first drag. In RSN it is better to draw a new slice & delete the auto slice. Auto slicing isn't done automatically in Recycle as it is in RSN: user sets the sensitivity. You can play back slices w/o inputting BPM/B&B, but not loop mode. Once BPM/Bars and Beats have been input, all the Recycle functions become active. Personally, I find slicing exponentially faster in Recycle. It kind of depends upon how you are used to working. If slicing audio is a big part of your process (it is for me), then I find Recycle indispensable.

gak

28 Mar 2015

Interesting, thanks!

CharlyCharlzz

29 Mar 2015

are these stretch option a new reason 8 thing or do I have missed something in reason 7?
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

bitley

29 Mar 2015

There is lots of things you can do to your rex file creation inside Reason. There's no need for ReCycle anymore.

gak

31 Mar 2015

bitley™ wrote:There is lots of things you can do to your rex file creation inside Reason. There's no need for ReCycle anymore.
I wonder though, for straight-up rex2 creation if that is completely true (I don't know that answer I'm just asking) What I mean is, having that larger interface and some of the detection settings seems a step up for me. 

I'm not paying 200 bucks for it, but considering some of the prices you can find it for sale, might be worth it. 

syncanonymous

31 Mar 2015

Yes, totally, no reason (;-)) to spend on Recycle now if you have new gen RSN; but I have had Recycle since ...1999, I reckon. It is way quicker to slice than Reason is for slicing. I am not complaining, I am really enjoying RSN 8! Using it every day at the moment, 10+ hrs a day:-) Can't wait for tomorrow!

• Information